Hybrid Sonata
By hasbro_t on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
I wanted to wait a few months to rate this car and have driven it for 3 months now so still early but here are my findings. Hyundai quoted 35 city and 45 hwy mpg. I haven't done any extensive hwy driving but city is about 25 mpg. I assume that is less than if I bought the standard gas model. I live in the desert of So Cal and since owning this car, I have run the A/C nearly all the time I have driven it. I have noted a better MPG when not using the A/C. There are some quirks, like at a stop light, if the engine kick on to charge the battery while the A/C is on, there is a slight jolt forward. I have looked into my rearview twice to see if I was rear-ended, lol.
Favorite Features
It is comfortable, it seems to have enough power for my needs, looks good and packs a number of features usually found in much higher end cars.
Suggested Improvements
I don’t want to make this an A/C-centric review but I had another car a couple years ago that developed a musky smell when the A/C condensed water sits after running. In that and I am finding in the case of this car, I need to turn off the A/C for the last few minutes of my trip to insure the A/C is dry when stopping. Enough said on the A/C. Seat comfort is good, instrumentation is adequate but I would like slightly larger displays on the radio/clock/temp etc… Overall the ride is smooth with a few slight jolting motions when switching from EV to Gas Combo mode. Also, radio reception is not as good as others, presumably the electronics. Sonata is on the right track but a year or so away.
By hasbro_t
on 09/06/11 22:21 PM (PDT)

Wanted to post an update to this review, I have run 200 miles of city driving without the A/C and had got over 37 MPG in the city. Full time A/C seems to equate a 12 mpg loss. Sometimes worth the trade.