Disappointed with fuel economy!
By justicebrown on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
I purchased the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid specifically based on the estimated fuel economy. The "average fuel economy" which is displayed by the car says 35 MPG. My calculations at refueling say otherwise (Dividing the miles traveled (trip odometer) by the amount of gallons it took to refill the tank). My first three refills are 32.74 MPG, 33 MPG and 31.26. I expect to get at minimum 35 MPG which is estimated for city driving. My driving is mixed city and highway but I would accept a consistent 35 MPG. No jack rabbit starts or hard braking and I use cruise control. I'll update this review if there is improvement but it seems to be going the other way. One power loss/stutter mid-intersection.
Favorite Features
hybrid technology display
Suggested Improvements
Replace the fabric which is used for the "premium cloth seats." They currently stain with plain water.
By justicebrown
on 09/24/12 08:34 AM (PDT)

I'm updating this review as follows: After the "break-in" period, approximately 2,000 miles, I consistently get around 37 combined and around 42 highway. I have adopted some "how to drive a hybrid" recommendations: anticipate stops, avoid traffic to maintain speed (cruise control), drive 60 mph or less, prefer routes with downhill/descent. *I removed the stain with Spot Shot. Obviously I'm happy that my fuel economy is better than the reported estimate.