be cautious of fuel mileage claims
By randyinsc on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
I have 1000 miles on my new sonata hybrid premium and after three calucated mileage fill ups and driving like GRANDMOTHER and 75 percent of the driving on highway, the best mileage I can obtain is 32.2 mpg. I have called Hyundai and they read a speech about 'driving' easy. The dealer's service manager said, the car is so new, we're not sure of everything yet- drive it till the first oil change and we'll take a look at it. I am being told by other sonata owners, they're getting 35 to 40 mpg, both regular sonatas and hybrids- I feel like I have a lemon and no one is listening!!!! My family doesnt want to ride with me as I am driving so conservatively to try and obtain better mileage!
By peralta
on 07/14/11 12:25 PM (PDT)

Drive it like you are driving normally except that grab any opportunity to coast down as long as you can. Use your e-motor to prolong the coasting. Minimize the use of your brake pads. If you can slow down without using the brakes the better. Manximize regen braking by only slightly touching the brakes when slowing down. If you drive on local street blocks, use the first half for acceleration and the second half of the block for electric motor gliding.

By bagman17
on 08/15/11 17:23 PM (PDT)

Having the same problem in CA.Avg aabout 27.2 mpg.They are checking mine for the lack of charge in my lithium battery.Mine stays @ less than 50% charge always,and i can't get above 20mph in EV no matter how slow I go.There are times when i start it that the battery is so low the engine fires without going into EV.MyA/C also makes more noise than my HVAC home system.Hopefully they can fix it,because it's a beautiful car and drives great,and feel like I have more than 200 horses.Good luck