Awesome vehicle
By ddiverd on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
I received the first hybrid Sonata to be sold in New York state. I immediately bonded with this car, it is one of the best vehicles I have driven, given the type. The styling is great and I will be using it to commute on a daily basis. The ride is firm, but also tight, handling is straight on. I traded a 2007 Camry, and it far surpasses that car. The interior fit and finish is superb, with brushed aluminum accents on the door and dash. The car looks like a much more expensive ride, and is styled differently than a regular Sonata. I wanted this car ever since I saw it in Motor trend. Averaging 39.5 mpg at this time, on the road and 35.5 in the city. Amazing car, leaves the Prius in the dust.
Favorite Features
Of course MPG, styling, roominess, trunk space. Cost only 1,000 over a regular Sonata.
Suggested Improvements
A spare tire, no spare, they give you a mini compressor and a fix a flat kit-come on!!!
By tgroh
on 05/18/11 08:17 AM (PDT)

i posted in regard to left pull on sonata show it to your dealer

By alisa
on 05/17/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

I purchased a Sonata hybrid almost 2 weeks ago too and noticed a couple of drip spots under car when my husband pulled out of garage. Thought it was condensation, but soon realized it was an oily substance. Engine light came on and had it towed to dealership. So far it has a main seal transmission leak and I beleive he said a vacuum leak. Still waiting on more info. Our car has only 600 miles. Transmission was jerky. Did they find out what was wrong with yours?

By brockmane
on 05/15/11 17:18 PM (PDT)

I purchased my new Sonata hybrid two weeks ago -- I already put 1000s miles on it traveling back and forth from Baltimore to Virginia; Lots of miles and a short period of time. I paid $32,650 with the premium package, including cap insurance, and extended 50,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty. Pros -- great car, rides wonderfully, styling is off the chain, and the inside is even more exciting with heated front and back seats. Cons -- brace yourself -- the ?engine light? is on, not sure when it happened, I could have driven the car off the lot like that, because there was no way for me to recognize the engine light was on at the time, until I adjusted the steering wheel, which uncovered the indicator light. Also, the car pulls to the left while driving and don?t even think about having to break rapidly; and if you do you?ll notice the car pulls drastically to the left unexpectedly. I?m hoping that these are minor issues that can quickly be corrected. Also, the transmission when switching gears has a hard jerk to it. I did not notice any of these things while test driving the car.

By janner311
on 05/27/11 04:33 AM (PDT)

I purchased the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid on May 21st from a dealer in the metro-Detroit area. The car looks very sharp compared to other hybrid competitors (I was also considering a Fusion hybrid) and it felt great when I took it for a test drive. However, upon leaving the dealer I noticed the car pulling a little to the left but just thought it was because of the road I was driving on. Later that night, I hit a pot-hole in the road which caused damage to both the tire and the wheel. The next morning I discovered the damage and thought I'd better put the spare tire on it until I could take it to the dealer on Monday morning since I had the tire/wheel protection plan. However, when looking in the trunk compartment to pull out a spare, I realized that this vehicle did not come with a spare tire...just a repair kit! I would have never asked about a spare tire during the purchase phase of the vehicle since don't most of us assume there's a spare tire?! The kit will only allow you to drive for 0.6 miles which does not help at all if you're out in the middle of nowhere. The service dept at the dealer is looking into ordering me a spare but for some reason the spare set they can order does not come with the tire...just the jack and spare wheel!!! Well, the dealer has given me a loaner car (2011 regular Sonata) and I notice that this car pulls to the left as well. I'm going to print off the advice/tips above and discuss it with the service dept at my dealer but please let me know if anyone has any info on how to get a spare tire kit the sonata hybrid. Thanks!

By tgroh
on 05/17/11 06:18 AM (PDT)

What bothers me is not so much that the car has a steering issue I figured a new complete updated car with all new features would have issues its that the steering issue has been an ongoing problem for over 6 months and the company has not been able to come up with a final fix to resolve the issue. When you talk to sales they say they dont know anything about it or they completely downplay it saying it only involves the turbo model and is just a very few cars that have a problem so they are just lying

By ccanas
on 07/24/12 14:33 PM (PDT)

We purchase a 2012 Sonata Hybrid to replace our trusty Mazda Protege 1999, and for the long trips that we used to make in our Toyota Camry 2002. We then made a long trip from New Orleans to Fort Lauderdale and back, about 1800 miles. After our return, my wife decided to clean the car, open the trunk and looked for a spare tire. Surprise!! there was none, just a small fix box. Now I wonder if we made a mistake not using the Camry. You purchase a car and you assume that it has a spare tire in the trunk, it is supposed to be standard equipment, even if it is not a full tire. The dealer says that I can get a spare for $300. And then, what about a jack and tools? Come on, what would had happened if I had had a flat in the middle of nowhere at 3 am in the morning (it happened to us once)? The dealers answer, just dial road assistance.... I should've gone for a new Camry!

By tk1961
on 09/29/11 10:26 AM (PDT)

Indeed! It came as a shock to me. I got a flat and began looking for the spare and the jack. Neither! Some things should not be skimped on. This is really bad form, Hyundai.

By tgroh
on 05/18/11 08:14 AM (PDT)

Thanks for the links; it looks like it's a TIRE issue, and I wonder if it is only Hankook. I have Kumho's on my Sonata. Here's is the "tire fix", from the other guy on the forum >>> As I suspected the problem does not lie in the design or engineering of the car. I used to have a 1984 BMW 733i which i restored and added 18inch rims and tires to. I remember the instant difference in performce going from 15's to 18's. I felt every little nook and cranny in the road and the car responded to every little jerk and turn of the steering wheel. Day one the car performed unbelievably. Towards the end of the tires' life i remembered having pulling issues and vibrations. This got me thinking about the tires and wheels on the 2011 Sonata. I did take my car to the dealer and they were basically clueless and just tried to zero and align everthing - unsuccesffully. When i contacted the service manager about the failure... he said that they wanted to install a new "special strut". This did not get me to excited, so I said, "I would do some research and bring the car in". Well I took a look around for success with the special strut... For the most part, people that took this option were commenting that they thought there was a "slight" improvement, but it was nothing to write home about as they still felt a "slight pull". Then I started researching tires pulling. I asked around with some of my mechanics about that. My primary mechanic said that it could be the tires as no two tires and wheels are equal. After about 6 hours of reading and studying I think I can now start a tire manufacturing business.... or if nothing else, write a book. I took the car to the dealer and requested that give me 4 new tires to take to my mechanic so he could install using his Road Force Balaning system (RFB). They informed me that they had one of those machines and could do it at the dealer. (not everyone has these they are like 20,000 for the machine.) Anyway, before they removed the old tires, I had them test all 4. 2 of the 4 were reported by the machine to be defective showing the error code "Belt tension inconsistancy - RECOMMEND REPLACEMENT"... The dealer threw those two tires out and replaced them and installed all 4 tires using the full balancer system. The RFB tested the wheels and tires and identified which tires to match to specific wheels. The RFB then indicated to the technician where to place them on the car. The car tracks perfectly down the road. On crown right roads it slooooowwly pulls right... on crown left roads it sloooooowly pulls left..... on flat roads or splitting the crown by putting the white line down the center of the car.. it tracks perfectly straight. If you want to verify my research do a google search for "RADIAL PULL TIRES" or "RADIAL STEER TIRES". also try my favorite... "HANKOOK TIRES PULL ".... You will find all sorts of complaints with the tires.... All in all, I am thrilled with my 2011 SONATA LIMITED 2.0T now that this problem is resolved. if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Thanks Mike B.