Avoid This Car
By rffines on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
From the day of delivery, the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has been nothing but trouble. In order of occurrence: 1. Sputters an hesitates violently from 0 - 45mph in any and all conditions. (Hyundai dealer and Hyundai Consumer Affairs say): Get used to it, that's how hybrids perform. The salesman never mentioned that the car will perform like it's running out of gas. 2. Intermittent stalling: Car stalls w/o warning in both city and highway traffic. This problem has caused 3 near-miss accidents. (Hyundai response): It didn't stall during a test drive - it's running as expected. 3. Extremely poor mileage: 22 highway/19 city. Hyundai says engine needs break-in. Hyundai does not care!!!
Favorite Features
After 6 months of consistent trouble, and no support from Hyundai, there is nothing I can site as a favorite. Hyundai and their dealers have a racket with their 10 year warranty - what good is an extended warranty if they have no intention of ever fixing anything. The closest they've come to a fix is to promise that their engineers are "working on a fix, be patient." Hyundai denies that my car is stalling and could care less. I hate this car; I hate Hyundai
Suggested Improvements
If you produce a Hybrid that doesn't work, please tell the customer at the time of sale so that he may make an informed decision. History: Toyota rejected the Hybrid algorithm that Hyundai adopted, siting it was unreliable but cheaper to manufacture. Hyundai rolled the dice and the customer is the one paying the price for their poor judgment.
By ecube
on 12/12/11 12:33 PM (PST)

We had same problem we just went and bought a Nissan ,,,Chevy Volt just announced that any customer not satisfied can have their money back,,Yes Gm is offering a buyback program on Volts!!! Hyundai lost me for ever!!!!

By alex3540
on 12/16/11 10:47 AM (PST)

The problems listed here are not associated with a faulty sonata. 1. the sonata features a I click gas cap which requires a click to seal otherwise the check e light will go on. I have seen countless customers who were never told this by their sales person during vehicle delivery. 2. The "sputter issue" is the transition from electric to gas electric or full gas.This is typical of all hybrids systems and the sonata has the least noticeable transition from electric to gas I have seen. 3. "low MPG issue" A hybrid vehicle will not achieve any better fuel economy then a regular gas version if the driver does not learn to drive differently. you need to understand how the system works before jumping into a hybrid. On the sonata their are 2 modes, Regular and blue drive. Blue drive will improve your fuel economy by 10 mpgs at the expense of power. Word of advise, if you plan on spending money for a hybrid and are unfamiliar with the technology make sure you have a salesperson that can teach you the basics. You will have to learn to drive all over again.

By ecube
on 03/19/12 22:13 PM (PDT)

Thats not true we checked our gas cap!!!Hyundai has lost me forever!!!