Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )

good car except for the mileage
By amcurtis1

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

love the car and the support from the dealer... except for the gas mileage. I have 5600 miles on it now and I have been getting 27-28 mpg combined with a 60/40 mix of highway/city miles. I try to not hit the gas to much or run the ac to hard. Today I got my computer reprogrammed for the recall that was just issued hopefully this will fix the mpg to what was advertised. I also came home to a letter informing me that hyundai is sending hybrid owners a $50 debit card for the recall inconvenience.

Favorite Features

A well designed car outside of the gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Improve precision of harder acceleration from a stop. When the gas engine kicks in it can be hard to keep the wheels from spinning if you are trying to pull out fast. fix the fuel mileage problem

Fun Car.... Already check engine light
By smooser

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My wife and I love this car... Super fun to drive. The mileage the computer was reporting was about 36 average at best. Not bad. After a month and a half the check engine light came on. No problem... My wife took it in and the dealer said they fixed four recalls. (she didn't get a work order from the dealer with the details, a little strange) Now the car averaged 41.5 MPG. I was a little disappointed with the mileage, but that seems to be taken care of. Over all, we love our purchase. Hopefully we don't have a reoccurring check engine light problem. That's precisely why I leased a hybrid. Wait until the technology has become the norm in the market.

Vapor leaks
By philld

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Engine light is back on, about the 4th time now that we have taken our Hybrid in for the engine light . It appears every 2 weeks or so. Been told it is due to a Vapor leak sensor that keeps going off, it is adjusted for California emissions standards and they cannot seem to fix this, and the factory does not have an answer. We are on the 6th recall fix, seems the car was released before it's time. Need to research the Lemon laws next and waiting for the class action suite.

Suggested Improvements

Knee room needs improvement

My Sonata Hybrid is a major disappointment
By bnaiman

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I previously had a Toyota Camry Hybrid that I consistanly got 31 mpg in town. My new Sonata gives me about 22 to 24 mpg. I have had it in 3 times and they always tell me that everything is performing as it should and that I am the only one who has complained. I was also told by a mechanic that I could do just as well with the regular Sonata for les money. I made a terrible mistake in buying this car but for them to tell me that they have not had any complaints is an insult.

2 car repairs and only 5 month old
By mv_mary

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My confidence in this vehicle has just been shot down again...and maybe for good. I've had it in the shop the first month because of a malfunction in the emissions valve. Then today, only 5 months after I got it, the engineer shut down while driving on the freeway. The car wouldn't start back up. I'm thinking twice that I should have gone with a new Lexus instead.

Favorite Features

lots of cup holders and spots to stash things.