Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )

The issue is MPG
By ritpg

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

As the former owner of a 2003 Camry XLE, I would not say Hyundai is quite up the the Toyota standard. For example, the the buttons on the steering wheel feel flimsy compared to the Camry. There are times when some buttons have to pushed more than once to activate such as the unlock button on the driver side door. In the case of the Sonata hybrid, my conclusion is that this model was rushed to market and not ready for "prime time". The gas mileage has deteriorated significantly. There have been many service calls (all paid for by Hyundai). So far Hyundai is not standing behind this car as I continue to navigate through their service maze.

Favorite Features

I like the unique lighting of the hybrid model, the body styling and construction, blue tooth and iPod connectivity. The seats are comfortable with good lateral support. And I like not having to pull a key or pod out of my pocket to open the doors and start the engine.

Suggested Improvements

The number one needed improvement is consistenridrcy in gas mileage. I am presently getting worse mileage with the hybrid than a colleague is getting with the non-hybrid Sonata. Transition between EV (electric) and gas mode at moderate speed also needs to be improved. There is a very strong feel of surge in this speed range. Hyundai needs to spend a little more money of the feel of its "knob-ology". Buttons feels flimsy compared to Toyota.

Avoid This Car
By rffines

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

From the day of delivery, the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has been nothing but trouble. In order of occurrence: 1. Sputters an hesitates violently from 0 - 45mph in any and all conditions. (Hyundai dealer and Hyundai Consumer Affairs say): Get used to it, that's how hybrids perform. The salesman never mentioned that the car will perform like it's running out of gas. 2. Intermittent stalling: Car stalls w/o warning in both city and highway traffic. This problem has caused 3 near-miss accidents. (Hyundai response): It didn't stall during a test drive - it's running as expected. 3. Extremely poor mileage: 22 highway/19 city. Hyundai says engine needs break-in. Hyundai does not care!!!

Favorite Features

After 6 months of consistent trouble, and no support from Hyundai, there is nothing I can site as a favorite. Hyundai and their dealers have a racket with their 10 year warranty - what good is an extended warranty if they have no intention of ever fixing anything. The closest they've come to a fix is to promise that their engineers are "working on a fix, be patient." Hyundai denies that my car is stalling and could care less. I hate this car; I hate Hyundai

Suggested Improvements

If you produce a Hybrid that doesn't work, please tell the customer at the time of sale so that he may make an informed decision. History: Toyota rejected the Hybrid algorithm that Hyundai adopted, siting it was unreliable but cheaper to manufacture. Hyundai rolled the dice and the customer is the one paying the price for their poor judgment.

Worst car purchase decision I have ever made
By nohyndai

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have had my hybrid sonata 3 months. It has just over 2000 miles on it and has been in for service twice. It has had all the recall fixes. The check engine light goes on and the dealership keeps claiming I am not tightening the gas cap. It also gets 18 mpg based on gas tank fillup. I am terrified of getting rear-ended as the engine sputters out when on curved inclines when you deaccelarate. The engine just cuts out. The closest Hyundai service department is 45 minutes away and they do not provide drop off service or loaner cars. So I have to take a day off of work, or drop the car off the previous evening and pay to rent a car. This is to remedy their errors! A definite lemon.

Favorite Features

Seat warmer is the best functioning feature.

Car stumbles engine wont engage sometimes
By s2them

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We loved our Sonata Hybrid until we pulled out and the engine didn't engage after getting out in the road under battery power,, Hyundai has not called me back when promised and unless they do something to fix situation ,i don't recommended this car maybe 5 years down the road after they have fixed the bugs,,just to Day they issued a new service bulletin on the connector to the computer

Favorite Features

Ride,Seating,look

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engine computer problem!!

The first Service corrected issues with shifting
By r_l_r

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I got my Sonata hybrid in May and was very happy with it. The hesitancy in shifting between electric and gas motor at low speeds did not bother me. I did not appreciate any difficulty with the brakes, which worked well in a couple of emergensy stopping situationa. My mileage was in the 40+ mpG range. I had the first service about a month ago, Hyundai updated the computer hardware and software for free. After the service there was absolutely no hesitancy in shifitng and the MPG increases to 43-48 MPG. I remain very satisfied with this car and feel that it has gotten better.

Favorite Features

Bluetooth mileage smooth quiet ride ease of entry and exit comfortable drivers seat The entire electrical system worjs in a natural way

Suggested Improvements

differrent upholestery, heated front seats