2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )
Only buy one if you have a large dealer that has serviced a hybrid
By bagman17 on 08/17/11 11:48 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

These cars are so new and different from anything out there I would only buy if my local Dealer sold Premium versions,which means they are a large volume dealer and their service department has seen a hybrid before,because if they haven't seen one you will probably know more about than he/she does. I took mine,a Blue Premium to the dealer because we are only getting 27.2 to 33.6 mpg,and yes we are hypermiling.Just because yours is getting 40+ mpg,doesn't mean we just fell off the turnip wagon,feel blessed.And I'm talking mpg @ the pump,not what the computer is telling me,color me skeptical.It was also starting up not in EV,but firing the engine,wouldn't go over 20mph in EV,crawling

Worst Decision I have ever made
By hp124 on 07/20/11 18:40 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased the 2011 Hybrid Hyundai Sonata 2 months ago and it has been nothing but a headache for me. I have had the car in the shop now almost every weekend since I bought it because of new issues that keep arising. The gas tank is a huge issue, and Hyundai seems to have no idea what is actually going on with it. They have "fixed" it 3 times now and I am still having issues. I am currently getting around 23 miles to the gallon (glad I spent the extra 6 grand to get a hybrid) and I also think I might be leaking fuel as well. (I filled up my car 2 days ago and have driven 100 miles and already have less than a half tank) The computer system in the car looks great, but it cannot even begin to function. The average fuel economy cannot calculate itself at all, it has continuous glitches that keep popping up (which is why my car is currently in the shop) I also just recently received a recall notice on this car a week ago, but it was a "fix" I already had done and it did not fix the issue. In contrast my problems have actually been worse since having this "repair". I think Hyundai had the right idea with this car and I think it is gorgeous, but I also believe they tried to rush the production on this model.

be cautious of fuel mileage claims
By randyinsc on 07/10/11 08:27 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have 1000 miles on my new sonata hybrid premium and after three calucated mileage fill ups and driving like GRANDMOTHER and 75 percent of the driving on highway, the best mileage I can obtain is 32.2 mpg. I have called Hyundai and they read a speech about 'driving' easy. The dealer's service manager said, the car is so new, we're not sure of everything yet- drive it till the first oil change and we'll take a look at it. I am being told by other sonata owners, they're getting 35 to 40 mpg, both regular sonatas and hybrids- I feel like I have a lemon and no one is listening!!!! My family doesnt want to ride with me as I am driving so conservatively to try and obtain better mileage!

Great Hybrid and excellent value
By cleveland_bob on 06/29/11 14:19 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Appearance - striking lines and contours produced completments from friends and family. Ride - The suspension absorbs bumps and pot holes well while maintaining good control. Braking is in dry and wet conditions is very good without pulling to either side. The regenerative braking system does not compromise function. In one emergency braking situation (deer) the car braked quickly. I missed the deer and did not swerve to either side. Interior - very well appointed with switches where they should be. Bluetooth is great and enables hands free phone use. FueL economy - 40-42 mpg in city and 45+ on the highway. The car will cruise using the electric motor up to about 60 mph. Great car!!!!

well designed hybrid that is fun to drive
By r_l_r on 06/28/11 18:57 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I am pleased with my Hyundai Sonata hybrid. The car rides well. The suspension absorbs bumps and yet holds the road. The car has good accelerating and excellent dry and wet braking. I did not notice any tendency to pull to either side while driving or braking. Fuel efficiency has been over 40 mpg in city and over 45 on the highway. The controls are arranged logically and within easy reach. Most of the important controls are on or near the steering wheel. The standard version comes with most of the features one needs (I added heated front seats). I particularly like the bluetooth feature which enables full hands free phone use.

Re-Review 2011 Sonata Hybrid "Premium"
By marnold4 on 06/25/11 07:50 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We have about 3500 miles on the car and are pleased. Plenty of pickup to get on the highway or pass, excellent fuel economy. We are able to consistently get the advertised mileage but to do so you need to modify how you drive a bit. If we 'hammer it' like we used to do with our V6 Accord the mileage drops. (Average real-world mileage, for us, calculated at fill ups in mixed driving is 36) The interior design is outstanding. It's nice to have a transmission that actually shifts. The Blue-Tooth works great with our smart phones and the i-Pod touch works perfectly as well. No transmissions leaks or steering, or shift problems. The car has more of a luxury feel than a sporty handler for driving.

VERY DISAPPOINTED
By jscars on 06/21/11 19:10 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have 1600 miles on 2011 Sonata Hybrid and have averaged 31 mpg over mostly highway driving to and from work 90 mile round trip which is 80% highway with light traffic and very few traffic lights. Performance between 20-35 mph is sluggish, and engine clearly overrevs in that range. Bluetooth connection with my Samsung Galaxy Edge Droid does not work. You can establish a temporary connection which I did when I test drove the vehicle, but it does not hold. Streaming audio almost never works due to bluetooth phone issues. Sunroof rattles at highway speed. Front windshield fogs up on outside all the time from bottom to about 12". I prefer my 2004 Prius with 189K miles & 45mpg.

Great car!
By houstonscott on 06/20/11 11:28 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Have almost 2,000 miles on my base Sonata Hybrid and I am impressed with the vehicle. High build quality and great gas mileage. Recent road trip returned 41+ mpg.

Impressive in all respects other than highway mileage
By hybridrocks54 on 06/05/11 06:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have one of the first base sonata hybrids sold in central new jersey and still on my first tank of gas with over 600 miles on the car. For $5000K more, I figured I could get my own GPS and I've no use for leather seats (the cloth ones are better looking and there's some cow out there ecstatic that it's still munching grass) or dual moonroofs (I"m 6' 2", so I would rather have more headroom, thanks). I've owned an Insight and Prius and I would never know I was driving a Hybrid--there is no indication in drive feel whatsoever and the body style certainly doesn't scream hybrid (but the nameplate and the head/tail light treatments definitely let others in the know figure it out).

So far so good!
By ded99 on 06/04/11 16:58 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have about 2200 miles on the car. I have taken the car on a couple three hour highway trips, along with many miles around town. I can get the advertised mileage if it is driven carefully. I find that the highway mileage is a little lower when the cruise control is set. To be fair I was traveling between 70 and 75 during the bulk of the highway trip. I got about 38 to 39 mpg. I find that with the cruise control off I can keep the car in the electric mode longer, and seem to get mileage of over 40 mpg. I must admit however that I have always had a heavy right foot so this is actually very good. My wife has gotten 35+ mpg in town. So far very pleased.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$133 per month*