2011 Sonata Hybrid after 7 months
By srcooper on
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)
We've owned this car for seven months now. I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews. My wife and I love this vehicle. We have been been stopped and questioned about the car. Everyone thinks it looks really cool. But that is not all. We have maintained 33-35mpg in local driving...and 35-42mpg on the highway. If you are going up hills, the gas mileage is less. If you have a heavy foot it will be less. However, it is not hard to increase the mileage with some smart driving. I have had the car go into the electric mode for several minutes at 70mph.
Favorite Features
The car has a lot of fun and cool features, especially the hybrid readouts. We have the upgraded version with the sunroof, electric seats and navigation system. Originally we were not going to get them, but the day we were looking, that was the only one on the lot in the color we wanted(silver). After all these months, I couldn't imagine not having them! The seats sit great, the sunroof is open all the time, I love the navigation system and the XM Radio has proven to be way more fun than we thought. Get the extra features- they are well thought out and worth every penny.
Suggested Improvements
While I've seen people complain about the shifting between electric and gas, we've only experienced it once on steep hill. After that we learned to "step on the gas" in those situations. Yes, there was a check engine light problem, but Hyundai has since fixed it, and gave us a $50 gift card! We have almost 9,000 miles now, and our gas bill is 1/3rd of what it was with our Ford Explorer. After three years, we will have made up the difference in price between this car and the regular Sonata...and then it really pays off. The car is nearly emission free, looks great, beats the Prius on all levels, and would we buy another - YES!
By jentenn
on 04/14/12 17:19 PM (PDT)

We bought a Sonata hybrid last month and I commute to work 48 miles each way, 5 days a week, using state and county highways. I go up and down river bluffs and am getting about 37mph to work and back and 40 or so when I go to the city (2 hour drive). It's so much more comfortable that the suv I used to drive and am enjoying the creature comforts. I get to work and don't feel exhausted from the drive anymore. My pastor & I joke about how quiet it is..... that's huge!! Looking for more tips to improve gas mileage. Playing with the cruise control, but it seems to jerk into gear when you peak a hill. A bit freaky... like being on a rollercoaster.