Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )

Very Disappointed
By j_m_m

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I was very disappointed with the Sonata Hybrid. They advertise 40 mph highway, but I get about 32; the internal computer says I get about 35, though. When I asked about the discrepancy between my actual fuel consumption and the sumputer's estimate, the dearship told me the computer was more accurate than the actual (not sure how that's possible). The interior is also very constrictive and not comfortable for anyone over 6' for anything more than about 30 minutes. The electric motor is very weak, only operating up until about 10 mph, and only kicking in after that during coasting. The accelerator is also very unresponsive, sometimes taking up to two seconds to kick in.

Favorite Features

Stylish exterior

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the driver's side well, additional telescopic distance for the steering wheel, have the electric motor operate up to at least 35 mph and provide some assist during cruise for speeds above 60 mph.

Still loving the Car after 1 year and 13,000 miles
By r_l_r

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

It has been the best car that I have ever owned (of 11 cars/minivans). My wife and I enjoy it so much that we bought a 2012 Sonata Hybrid with the leather package so that we can both drive a Sonata hybrid. Safety - This is the highest importance. The car has excellent crash safety ratings. More important is that it handles/maneuvers extremely well. It has a large amount of power to get you out of danger fast: passing, merging into traffic or accelerating rapidly from a stop to avoid a distracted driver who is barreling into an intersection. Shifing at low speed is smooth after initial computer update. MPG - 42+ overall Comfort - spaceous interior I could not be happier with this car.

Favorite Features

Standard intelligent Bluetooth that truly provides handsfree phone use. Very comfortable seats - best headrest that I ever experienced Smooth quiet ride - allows adults to arrive from a long trip relaxed and rested and the children can sleep in their carseats. Seats 5 adults or 3 adults and 2 children in car seats or any combination. Climate control is excellent with extra vents for heating or cooling passengers in the back. Overall car control - maneuvering and braking are very controlled. I feel very much in control and safe driving this car. Proximity detection and keyless ignition work very well. The car communicates with different chimes to tell you that you need to do.

Suggested Improvements

I like to think that I that the letter I wrote influenced Hyundai to offer a leather package - so that one can get heated leather seats without having to get the entire navigation package. Now that the 2012 comes with a leather package, I cannot think of anything else to improve.

Stumble start problem,,My biggest mistake!!
By ecube

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

The car did great except city MPG worst than they say in city.. My wife and I had 2 near accidents because the engine didn't kick in after we pulled out in front of people on highway,,Dealer Crain in Little rock was the worst,, told us nothing then went home and a lot are having these problems and Hyundai doesn't stand by their cars,,unless you can be at the dealership instead of at work getting paid,,We spent 3 trips trying to fix car and another to replace part.. Warranty doesn't mean crap if you are there every 2 weeks..BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

engine should engage when pulling in front of people wheres the 206 hp not the small electric motor to get you there,we had to stop in the middle of highway put in park wait 10 seconds to restart the computer..Every light was blinking on dash!!! scary ,,my wife was scared to death!!!

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 2011
By tlowery

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased one of the first 2011 models in July 2011. I am VERY satisfied with the car in general including the fuel economy. I recently made a 1,000 mile trip driving 68 mph and averaged 40.2 mpg. Around town I average 37 to 38 mpg. I drive to maximize the fuel economy by accelerating mildly from stops. The only negative is the seat comfort. The seats are hard and the passenger seat sits too low. Seat comfort is very important; so important that Hyundai must improve before I will consider another one. The 2012 models have a lifetime warranty on the drive-train; whereas, the 2011 models have a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Hyundai should retroactively upgrade 2011's.

Favorite Features

fuel economy and styling

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort

Disappointed with fuel economy!
By justicebrown

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid specifically based on the estimated fuel economy. The "average fuel economy" which is displayed by the car says 35 MPG. My calculations at refueling say otherwise (Dividing the miles traveled (trip odometer) by the amount of gallons it took to refill the tank). My first three refills are 32.74 MPG, 33 MPG and 31.26. I expect to get at minimum 35 MPG which is estimated for city driving. My driving is mixed city and highway but I would accept a consistent 35 MPG. No jack rabbit starts or hard braking and I use cruise control. I'll update this review if there is improvement but it seems to be going the other way. One power loss/stutter mid-intersection.

Favorite Features

hybrid technology display

Suggested Improvements

Replace the fabric which is used for the "premium cloth seats." They currently stain with plain water.