2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )
DO NOT BUT THE SONATA HYBRID
By rdb53 on 02/15/12 16:27 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Do not buy the Sonata Hybrid for its gas mileage. The vehicle will achieve the advertised highway mileage but the city mileage performance is erratic and the idea that it can achieve 35mpg in city driving is absurd. All the dealership can do is plug in their computer and look for error codes. When no error codes show up they tell you the car is performing as designed even if the mpg is only 26. Also do not waste your time contacting Hyundai Motors America customer service. The only response you receive from them is a referral back to the dealership and a list of the reasons that you may be at fault for the low mpg because of poor driving habits. They are a waste of their company's resources.

2011 Sonata Hybrid after 7 months
By srcooper on 02/15/12 08:04 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We've owned this car for seven months now. I'm surprised at some of the negative reviews. My wife and I love this vehicle. We have been been stopped and questioned about the car. Everyone thinks it looks really cool. But that is not all. We have maintained 33-35mpg in local driving...and 35-42mpg on the highway. If you are going up hills, the gas mileage is less. If you have a heavy foot it will be less. However, it is not hard to increase the mileage with some smart driving. I have had the car go into the electric mode for several minutes at 70mph.

Fabulous automobile!
By tsims10s on 02/07/12 19:40 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have now owned my Sonata Hybrid for just over six months. Like most of the early adopters of this automobile I had the check engine light issues until Hyundai figured out what was happening. Kudos to Hyundai for working diligently to solve the issue and provide us a $50 gift card as compensation for our trouble. Meanwhile, I've enjoyed a mid-sized luxury car ride with penny pinching average fuel economy of 38 mpg over 16,238 miles! Within the first few miles of driving I sense a little hesitation in the transmission but after a few minutes it's fine. I get lots of questions about my Sonata Hybrid and many compliments on the styling. I would not hesitate to purchase another Hyundai!

Buyer Beware
By chubeck on 01/30/12 11:15 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

Buying this car was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. It has been a huge disappointment. More importantly, it is unsafe and extremely dangerous to drive! The car has completely died on me twice. Once it happened on the 110 Freeway in Los Angeles and the second was on a busy parkway. The car just shuts off, literally STOPS! The "Check Charging System" light comes on and a warning chime sounds. The car does not switch to gas, but just stops running. I have had two near accidents with the car and cannot trust it.

2011 SONATA HYBRID PREMIUM
By fdrp534 on 01/09/12 10:38 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I dont drive it as much as i would like but the wife loves it.Fuel milage is what we expected.Was recalled once for three repairs,all went well even recieved a $50 gift card from Hyundai for our troubles.Have recieved many compliments also was offered trades with other motorists cars. Car runs great .It only has 4000 miles on it so far but the only issue is the fuel gauge it is not accurate it never read a full tank since we owned it.We put $20 in it and it goes up a few lines,shut it off turn it back on and it goes up another line but otherwise a great car

The issue is MPG
By ritpg on 01/02/12 13:07 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

As the former owner of a 2003 Camry XLE, I would not say Hyundai is quite up the the Toyota standard. For example, the the buttons on the steering wheel feel flimsy compared to the Camry. There are times when some buttons have to pushed more than once to activate such as the unlock button on the driver side door. In the case of the Sonata hybrid, my conclusion is that this model was rushed to market and not ready for "prime time". The gas mileage has deteriorated significantly. There have been many service calls (all paid for by Hyundai). So far Hyundai is not standing behind this car as I continue to navigate through their service maze.

Avoid This Car
By rffines on 11/25/11 19:47 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

From the day of delivery, the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid has been nothing but trouble. In order of occurrence: 1. Sputters an hesitates violently from 0 - 45mph in any and all conditions. (Hyundai dealer and Hyundai Consumer Affairs say): Get used to it, that's how hybrids perform. The salesman never mentioned that the car will perform like it's running out of gas. 2. Intermittent stalling: Car stalls w/o warning in both city and highway traffic. This problem has caused 3 near-miss accidents. (Hyundai response): It didn't stall during a test drive - it's running as expected. 3. Extremely poor mileage: 22 highway/19 city. Hyundai says engine needs break-in. Hyundai does not care!!!

Worst car purchase decision I have ever made
By nohyndai on 11/15/11 17:07 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have had my hybrid sonata 3 months. It has just over 2000 miles on it and has been in for service twice. It has had all the recall fixes. The check engine light goes on and the dealership keeps claiming I am not tightening the gas cap. It also gets 18 mpg based on gas tank fillup. I am terrified of getting rear-ended as the engine sputters out when on curved inclines when you deaccelarate. The engine just cuts out. The closest Hyundai service department is 45 minutes away and they do not provide drop off service or loaner cars. So I have to take a day off of work, or drop the car off the previous evening and pay to rent a car. This is to remedy their errors! A definite lemon.

Car stumbles engine wont engage sometimes
By s2them on 11/07/11 16:20 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

We loved our Sonata Hybrid until we pulled out and the engine didn't engage after getting out in the road under battery power,, Hyundai has not called me back when promised and unless they do something to fix situation ,i don't recommended this car maybe 5 years down the road after they have fixed the bugs,,just to Day they issued a new service bulletin on the connector to the computer

The first Service corrected issues with shifting
By r_l_r on 11/05/11 21:26 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I got my Sonata hybrid in May and was very happy with it. The hesitancy in shifting between electric and gas motor at low speeds did not bother me. I did not appreciate any difficulty with the brakes, which worked well in a couple of emergensy stopping situationa. My mileage was in the 40+ mpG range. I had the first service about a month ago, Hyundai updated the computer hardware and software for free. After the service there was absolutely no hesitancy in shifitng and the MPG increases to 43-48 MPG. I remain very satisfied with this car and feel that it has gotten better.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$136 per month*