Used 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Sonata-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )

Great car with some hesitation
By rla444

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I've owned this car since July 2011 and have over 64000 miles on it. My mileage has varied from a 35MPG low to an amazing 56 MPG for a 15 mile trip. Average MPG for the life of the car until I changed tires this month was an actual 38 MPG. The car MPGgauge reads falsely high. My driving is 90% highway, though this is my daily driver. Like others, I had a check engine light issue when I first bought it and was reimbursed for my time and trouble by Hyundai. The mileage is very dependent on style of driving, speed (the slower the better). I really like the regular transmission over a CVT like the Honda Civic Hybrid I owned.

Favorite Features

Regular transmission, Large size and ride. Styling, stereo system with bluetooth. Electric assist on power.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the passenger seat, It sits too low. Improve the hesistation on start, that is chronic and must be accounted for in driving. Correct the optimistic MPG gauge.

Great hybrid car
By vabeachdriver

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have had my sonata since July 2011. It has been great to me. I do a lot of business travel and I am averaging no less than 38MPG on almost all my full tanks of gas 530-575 Miles between fill ups. It has a very smooth ride and I have had no operation or performance issues.

Favorite Features

The interior design. Everything about the navigation, audio system and the layout of the car is beautiful! I also love the LED accents on the headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been nice to have the 42-44 MPG that they first advertised, but they made good with the annual rebate!

Just bought a certified used hybrid
By kurtster1

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I just bought a lease return 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I prefer cloth so I was glad to find this a basic package car. I love it. Averaging 33 mpg where as my Jetta got 20 in town. Such a quiet car and have had it up to 72 mph on the interstate in electric mode. So far, it rocks!

Favorite Features

IPod/Pad plug/Overall cockpit/Lighting and body style of the car overall.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing major to report. There are so many options for lights and such that its a bit confusing.

Like the car BUT...
By hasbro_t

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I like my Sonata but to give an honest sober review I have to start off saying it is not as billed on the showroom floor. Sticker mentioned 37 MPG city when I bought it. I live in an area that gets well over 100 degrees in the summer and bought the car in June 2011. This meant I used the A/C quite a bit. Right out the door with the A/C on and learning the feel of driving for economy I was getting about 25 mpg in the city month or so. I did find however that with no climate control (or only turning it on when at cruising speed) and feathered driving I could get the 37 mpg after a while. Any AC from dead stops and that dropped to 32. Hyundai learned of the MPG issue and issued a software change that was intended to fix it. On a routine service I had them update the S/W and Hyundai sent me a $50 gift card for my trouble. I thought that was a good gesture, particularly since it did nothing to delay the normal service anyway. After the S/W update the best MPG I can get is about 32 but on the bright side, it wasn’t effected by the climate control as badly. I recently took it in for another service and the repair order mentions another S/W adjustment and now I haven’t been able to maintain an MPG above 29…Two software updates, two declines in gas mileage. Haven’t had it back long enough to determine all the impacts of the change. I might ask to see if they can set it back to original factory defaults. Additionally, I have also experienced the problem mentioned in a couple of the below posts with the lurching. When it was new, when stopped at red lights, if the gas engine clicked on at the stop, the car would lurch in a way that on a couple occasions, I looked into my rear view to see if I was rear ended. Also, once when accelerating to pass a vehicle on the freeway, when I pressed the accelerator, the car actually momentarily slowed rather than increase speed immediately. Again, this was at a point when it was running on EV mode and the accelerator caused it to shift to gas engine and the transition was not smooth and responsive, and potentially dangerous as noted in below posts. That only happened once and I don’t know if one of the S/W changes addressed it but Hyundai does need to acknowledge that issue. That all being said, it sounds like a negative review and maybe it is but, at the end of the day, I do like my Sonata. It is comfortable for me, has a reasonably smooth ride and I knew when I bought it that this was the 1st model year of the Hybrid and I expected it as such to be working out some issues. I’m sure the 2013 and beyond will have addresses much of these issues and become more refined. With the differences in the software I have had, I can see why these reviews are all over the map. I suppose if I were to be honest to someone looking for a Sonata, I would tell them to look at the regular gas model first as really, the title “Hybrid” in the 2011 is really just a novelty rather than a benefit and Hyundai is making good somewhat with gas cards for the mileage discrepancy.

Favorite Features

Like the Blue package and well equipped with bells and whistles for the price. I get gas about once a month now as opposed to 2 times with my Charger RT.

Suggested Improvements

Pretty much spelled out in the review. I would however, move the emergency flasher button further from the power button.

Best Family Hybrid Sedan
By ohio_pop

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My family has 2 Sonata hybrid sedans because they are safe and fun to drive, get good fuel economy, handle well including braking and transition from EV to gas motor engaged. The car has excellent power when it is needed because the electric motor can supplement the gas engine. The Sonata hybrid has the most interior room of any hybrid sedan that cost less than $40,000. I read the negative reviews from some and do not agree with them. The car's equipment, such as the excellent Bluetooth hand's free phone use, all work well. The car's ride is very smooth and quiet. In contrast to comment - the electric engine operates only at low speed, I found that the car will go into EV mode at 60+mph

Favorite Features

interior room Bluetooth for phone use proximity sensening system for entry push button ignition extremely comfortable seating - I am a big guy - tall and stocky - and the driver seat is incredibly comfortable especially the head rest.

Suggested Improvements

An option to purchase a rearview camera without having to get the entire navigation package. You can get an after-market rearview camera.