2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. Hybrid 6-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )
Great car with some hesitation
By rla444 on 04/22/14 06:35 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I've owned this car since July 2011 and have over 64000 miles on it. My mileage has varied from a 35MPG low to an amazing 56 MPG for a 15 mile trip. Average MPG for the life of the car until I changed tires this month was an actual 38 MPG. The car MPGgauge reads falsely high. My driving is 90% highway, though this is my daily driver. Like others, I had a check engine light issue when I first bought it and was reimbursed for my time and trouble by Hyundai. The mileage is very dependent on style of driving, speed (the slower the better). I really like the regular transmission over a CVT like the Honda Civic Hybrid I owned.

Great hybrid car
By vabeachdriver on 01/08/14 09:58 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I have had my sonata since July 2011. It has been great to me. I do a lot of business travel and I am averaging no less than 38MPG on almost all my full tanks of gas 530-575 Miles between fill ups. It has a very smooth ride and I have had no operation or performance issues.

Just bought a certified used hybrid
By kurtster1 on 05/28/13 17:01 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I just bought a lease return 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I prefer cloth so I was glad to find this a basic package car. I love it. Averaging 33 mpg where as my Jetta got 20 in town. Such a quiet car and have had it up to 72 mph on the interstate in electric mode. So far, it rocks!

Like the car BUT...
By hasbro_t on 01/10/13 13:28 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I like my Sonata but to give an honest sober review I have to start off saying it is not as billed on the showroom floor. Sticker mentioned 37 MPG city when I bought it. I live in an area that gets well over 100 degrees in the summer and bought the car in June 2011. This meant I used the A/C quite a bit. Right out the door with the A/C on and learning the feel of driving for economy I was getting about 25 mpg in the city month or so. I did find however that with no climate control (or only turning it on when at cruising speed) and feathered driving I could get the 37 mpg after a while. Any AC from dead stops and that dropped to 32. Hyundai learned of the MPG issue and issued a software change that was intended to fix it. On a routine service I had them update the S/W and Hyundai sent me a $50 gift card for my trouble. I thought that was a good gesture, particularly since it did nothing to delay the normal service anyway. After the S/W update the best MPG I can get is about 32 but on the bright side, it wasn’t effected by the climate control as badly. I recently took it in for another service and the repair order mentions another S/W adjustment and now I haven’t been able to maintain an MPG above 29…Two software updates, two declines in gas mileage. Haven’t had it back long enough to determine all the impacts of the change. I might ask to see if they can set it back to original factory defaults. Additionally, I have also experienced the problem mentioned in a couple of the below posts with the lurching. When it was new, when stopped at red lights, if the gas engine clicked on at the stop, the car would lurch in a way that on a couple occasions, I looked into my rear view to see if I was rear ended. Also, once when accelerating to pass a vehicle on the freeway, when I pressed the accelerator, the car actually momentarily slowed rather than increase speed immediately. Again, this was at a point when it was running on EV mode and the accelerator caused it to shift to gas engine and the transition was not smooth and responsive, and potentially dangerous as noted in below posts. That only happened once and I don’t know if one of the S/W changes addressed it but Hyundai does need to acknowledge that issue. That all being said, it sounds like a negative review and maybe it is but, at the end of the day, I do like my Sonata. It is comfortable for me, has a reasonably smooth ride and I knew when I bought it that this was the 1st model year of the Hybrid and I expected it as such to be working out some issues. I’m sure the 2013 and beyond will have addresses much of these issues and become more refined. With the differences in the software I have had, I can see why these reviews are all over the map. I suppose if I were to be honest to someone looking for a Sonata, I would tell them to look at the regular gas model first as really, the title “Hybrid” in the 2011 is really just a novelty rather than a benefit and Hyundai is making good somewhat with gas cards for the mileage discrepancy.

Best Family Hybrid Sedan
By ohio_pop on 07/28/12 11:49 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

My family has 2 Sonata hybrid sedans because they are safe and fun to drive, get good fuel economy, handle well including braking and transition from EV to gas motor engaged. The car has excellent power when it is needed because the electric motor can supplement the gas engine. The Sonata hybrid has the most interior room of any hybrid sedan that cost less than $40,000. I read the negative reviews from some and do not agree with them. The car's equipment, such as the excellent Bluetooth hand's free phone use, all work well. The car's ride is very smooth and quiet. In contrast to comment - the electric engine operates only at low speed, I found that the car will go into EV mode at 60+mph

Very Disappointed
By j_m_m on 07/21/12 07:28 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I was very disappointed with the Sonata Hybrid. They advertise 40 mph highway, but I get about 32; the internal computer says I get about 35, though. When I asked about the discrepancy between my actual fuel consumption and the sumputer's estimate, the dearship told me the computer was more accurate than the actual (not sure how that's possible). The interior is also very constrictive and not comfortable for anyone over 6' for anything more than about 30 minutes. The electric motor is very weak, only operating up until about 10 mph, and only kicking in after that during coasting. The accelerator is also very unresponsive, sometimes taking up to two seconds to kick in.

Still loving the Car after 1 year and 13,000 miles
By r_l_r on 07/02/12 08:24 AM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

It has been the best car that I have ever owned (of 11 cars/minivans). My wife and I enjoy it so much that we bought a 2012 Sonata Hybrid with the leather package so that we can both drive a Sonata hybrid. Safety - This is the highest importance. The car has excellent crash safety ratings. More important is that it handles/maneuvers extremely well. It has a large amount of power to get you out of danger fast: passing, merging into traffic or accelerating rapidly from a stop to avoid a distracted driver who is barreling into an intersection. Shifing at low speed is smooth after initial computer update. MPG - 42+ overall Comfort - spaceous interior I could not be happier with this car.

Stumble start problem,,My biggest mistake!!
By ecube on 03/19/12 22:04 PM (PDT)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

The car did great except city MPG worst than they say in city.. My wife and I had 2 near accidents because the engine didn't kick in after we pulled out in front of people on highway,,Dealer Crain in Little rock was the worst,, told us nothing then went home and a lot are having these problems and Hyundai doesn't stand by their cars,,unless you can be at the dealership instead of at work getting paid,,We spent 3 trips trying to fix car and another to replace part.. Warranty doesn't mean crap if you are there every 2 weeks..BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 2011
By tlowery on 03/02/12 18:03 PM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased one of the first 2011 models in July 2011. I am VERY satisfied with the car in general including the fuel economy. I recently made a 1,000 mile trip driving 68 mph and averaged 40.2 mpg. Around town I average 37 to 38 mpg. I drive to maximize the fuel economy by accelerating mildly from stops. The only negative is the seat comfort. The seats are hard and the passenger seat sits too low. Seat comfort is very important; so important that Hyundai must improve before I will consider another one. The 2012 models have a lifetime warranty on the drive-train; whereas, the 2011 models have a 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. Hyundai should retroactively upgrade 2011's.

Disappointed with fuel economy!
By justicebrown on 02/16/12 08:27 AM (PST)

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 6A)

I purchased the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid specifically based on the estimated fuel economy. The "average fuel economy" which is displayed by the car says 35 MPG. My calculations at refueling say otherwise (Dividing the miles traveled (trip odometer) by the amount of gallons it took to refill the tank). My first three refills are 32.74 MPG, 33 MPG and 31.26. I expect to get at minimum 35 MPG which is estimated for city driving. My driving is mixed city and highway but I would accept a consistent 35 MPG. No jack rabbit starts or hard braking and I use cruise control. I'll update this review if there is improvement but it seems to be going the other way. One power loss/stutter mid-intersection.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Sedan in VA is:

$133 per month*