2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

My 2015 vs. My 2016 Limited Ultimate Santa Fe
By R Bramel

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

My 2015 saved us during a massive accident. An 85 year old man had his second accident of the day by pulling across out multilane divided highway at just the wrong time. We hit him at something less than the 60 mph limit and both my wife and I walked away from out totaled Santa Fe. The airbags worked so well that I didn't even have bruise marks from my glasses. The only downside is that Hyundai, and everybody else, I suppose, puts the horn button on top of the steering wheel airbag. I wonder how many other people suffer my injury: my hand-on-the-horn got blown back into my chest. It took almost two months for the pain to fully subside, and another month for my hand to regain most of its strength.

Tow rating was important to me. If you buy the PIO (port installed option) trailer hitch package, the Santa Fe Limited (and SE) have a 5000 lb tow rating. According to the owner's manual, even with an aftermarket hitch it is only rated for 2000 lbs. After the accident, even though the force of our connected travel trailer impact bent the "stinger" 90 degrees into the bumper, but the Hyundai hitch structure seemed undamaged. The impact was so severe that even the trailer was totaled.

After the accident we had time to reflect on a replacement car. We felt so well protected by the car and had enjoyed all the features of the Ultimate package that we got the identical car in the 2016. Right away, both of us independently thought the 2016 was substantially quieter; I think they've added insulation and maybe fine tuned the suspension.

I've seen a lot of negative comment about the third row seating. With the SE bench seat it might be a problem, but with the Limited's captains chairs it isn't much of a deal to get into the third row. Just for grins, my wife and I let our daughter and her 6' 5" husband drive and we rode in the third row for a six hour day trip. Grandsons in the middle. We're both 70 y/o and it was perfectly comfortable. Having the panoramic sun roof almost reach the third row makes it much nicer.

My biggest complaint is that Hyundai hasn't incorporated Apple's Carplay into the display system. The existing nav system is nice, but not as good as Google Maps or Apple Maps, plus I have to pay an annual $50 fee to Sirius just to get traffic information incorporated into the nav system. Carplay was supposed to begin showing up in another Hyundai model in 2015 so I figured the 2016 would definitely have it: Wrong! The BlueLink "turn by turn guidance", which is $100/ year is not compatible with the navigation system. Go figure.

Happy customer
By Bob Garcia

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Love my 2016 Limited Ultimate AWD!
By MH

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

"We traded in our 2014 Santa Fe Sport for the bigger 2016 Santa Fe. We love the Ultimate package.. it has everything we could ever want...with bang for the buck.We shopped for the Kia Sorento, Honda Pilot,Nissan Pathfinder and going back to Hyundai was a no brainer. We spent about 10k less than similar cars with similar packages. Owning a Hyundai today is definitely not owning a Hyundai 10 years ago..they are doing an awesome job of keeping up with the competition. I mostly drive around my kids with it..they absolutely love the captains chairs.Going grocery shopping is easy with the automatic gate lift. The navigation is easy to use. Having the AWD has been awesome in the snow. As for reliability.. My old 2014 Santa Fe Sport only went to the dealer for oil changes..never had a problem with it.. so I am very confident with this one. We have gotten many compliments on it's looks.

Good overall but one MAJOR ANNOYING issue for me
By Paul davis

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

In this review I want to focus just on the one big problem I have with my 2016 Hyundai Limited Ultimate SUV which I wish I had known about before making the purchase. In general I agree with other reviewers that this is a good vehicle overall and a good value. It does most things you'd expect from a modern SUV quite well. However buyers should be aware that you cannot just sit and listen to the very excellent sound system in this vehicle without running the engine! If you do you will get a loud beep sound every two minutes or so along with a warning that you are discharging the battery. This beep tone is just as loud as the music so you cannot ignore it. So You cannot enjoy your music in this vehicle in ACC mode knowing you will be hearing this annoying beep every two minutes or so. The dealer has advised me that this is so you don't discharge the battery which of course is important. However why couldn't they have designed this car so that something like just listening to the radio could be done without having to run the engine? On the side of Hyundai, if the battery does go dead there is a Lengthy restart process to get all of the technology reset back to where it was before the battery died. I could see where this could potentially generate additional service calls, but for someone like me ( and plenty of other folks I am sure ) who just likes to sit in their vehicle and listen to their music on that excellent sound system this is a huge issue and unacceptable. There are plenty of vehicles out there with equal or more technology than this one which do not have this problem. This is a design error on the part of Hyundai. If I had known this in advance I would NEVER have purchased this vehicle. I am NOT looking forward to the next five years of this! Hyundai is fully aware of this issue and if it gets enough attention I am hoping they might take some kind of corrective action in future models. I am still holding out hope there may be some future firmware update from Hyundai which may resolve this issue or at least diminish it somewhat on their current offerings. If not being able to use the radio and other accessories in this vehicle without the engine running is not an issue for you then I think you will be quite happy with this vehicle.

Style, Comfort, And Afordability
By tim bana

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased new 2016 Santa Fe SE AWD 8/31/15. Added on the Premium Package which offers numerous features. Ride is very comfortable with 19" tires and very positive steering. This is my first SUV, but searched the market place comparing it to other SUVs with options, price, dependability, and warranty. The Santa Fe had them beat. The 3rd seat is really for the grand kids. The V-6 has plenty of power for expressway entry and for passing. I have heated seats and wanted air cooled seats, but Hyundai has them with an additional package including a Panoramic Roof which I didn't want or need. I wish they bundle the heated/ cooled together. I took a road trip and put on 5,000 miles (averaging 26mph could be better) with no problem. During the trip stopped in El Paso Texas for an oil change. The dealer treated me very well like I was a local resident. They knew I was from another state, but that didn't matter. Hyundai has a good thing going for themselves. Time will tell how well they back their warranties.