Tough decision but the right one.
By dwaggard on
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
After 2 months of research and driving a lot of CUV's we were getting very discouraged with what we were finding. CX5 was way too slow (especially after owning a Mazda 3 for 5 years. Ford Escape was nice but doesn't seem to get as good of MPG as EPA states and was very cramped in cockpit. CRV was comfy but seemed cheap on the inside & sounded like it was straining & had a lot of tire noise. Sorento had worst ride I've ever experienced (after everyone commenting on this, you'd think they would fix that) 09 Lexus RX350 was our first choice, it was awesome but was $1,500.00 more than the new Sante Fe and had 38k miles & would only give us another 62,000 miles of warranty being "Certified".
Favorite Features
Warranty if they honor in. Comfortable and extremely quite ride is unmatched in any of the newer competitors offerings. I am not a fan of CVT transmissions so I was very happy to see Hyundai still using a 6 speed tranny. The 2.0T is def. worth the extra money. I've read reviews from pro's saying it was OK for getting onto the highway but wasn't very good from light to light. It may not be as responsive as the V6 was, but let me tell you it is very smooth and quiet and when you want the added power it does a respectable job of launching you at a very noticeable rate compared to the 190HP 2.5liter 4 cyl. Compass in mirror is nice but should be standard if NAV is not purchased.
Suggested Improvements
The stereo system is not the quality that it should be. My 1988 Chevy Cavalier sounder far better than this. Blind spot is pretty bad but wasn't bad enough to sway our decision. Back up camera is standard in so many of these cars it should be included in this car due to how bad the blind spot is. To me, that would be one of the most important safety features but Hyundai made it next to impossible to afford it. You have to buy a $2,450 option package to add the camera. What the heck is that all about????? Standard on both CRV and CX5. Hyundai, touch panels and mini cameras are cheap get with the times. Steering needs to be refined in this electrical system, it does some wandering.