2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
By yooperbill on
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
I very much like everything about the car except the steering.
Favorite Features
Style, Electronics and the ride. I don't find it harsh compared to other cars I've had. The economy is great mixed driving about 27 mpg. The four cylinder engine is incredible. Sounds good and plenty of power.
Suggested Improvements
The car wanders all over the road. The dealer said everything was okay but replaced the car anyway. Good dealer. The replacement is only marginally better. I hope they get it right as I have a four year lease.
By snehila
on 09/02/12 04:39 AM (PDT)

I bought one too and have the same issues with the car wandering all over the road. It's simply not safe to drive especially on the highway. Hyundai needs to figure this out quickly before someone is injured or worse.

By cobia210
on 09/22/12 09:35 AM (PDT)

Just got back from the Hyundai dealer. After reading these posts several times I figured I would test drive a 2.4 AWD myself. Before I drove the car I took an air pressure reading of 38lbs. The door sticker has all 4 tires at a pressure of 33lbs. I definitely experienced what several of the posts were talking about. The car had some wandering in the lane. Upon returning to the dealership I lowered the pressure to 33lbs all around and took the car out again. My opinion is that the car drove as well as any other car I've had and experienced no lane wandering. My best advise would be to test drive the 2013 Santa Fe yourself and make sure you check the air pressure before you leave the lot.

By snehila
on 09/06/12 07:19 AM (PDT)

It turns out most of my problem with the vehicle wandering all over the road had to do with the tires being over inflated by more than 20 lbs. The dealer failed to prep the car properly. Apparently when they are originally shipped, they over inflate to avoid the tires from getting flat spots when they are sitting around. The Sante Fe handles vastly better with the proper tire inflation as you would expect. Went to a second dealer and they figured it out quickly. Still need to get used to the electronic steering assist, as it is different from what I'm used to. It doesn't go back to center on it's own so you need to provide inputs to get it going staight down the highway. You need to make sure you drive it at real highway speeds for more than 10 minutes or so to get a feel for the difference.

By yackee
on 10/15/13 16:23 PM (PDT)

I purchased my 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4 AWD in May of this year. The first thing I did was take it on a 1600 mile round trip to Branson Missouri. I did not experience any issues with the steering and was shocked by the complaints I have been reading on this site. We now have 5000 miles and absolutely love this SUV so far. I also have a MX-5 Mazda Miata and they are both fun to drive. The Santa Fe turns on a dime and is very quite inside. This was my 51st automobile and one of my favorite. Mine is a AWD, maybe that makes a difference.

By karaya
on 09/14/12 08:28 AM (PDT)

jjohn5, The type of steering assist has nothing to do with the steering returning to a neutral position and wandering off course. Those characteristics are determined by a suspension's geometry and car's weight distribution. It is a game of balance between steering responsiveness and precision vs course stability. I have another car with the electric steering, it has no issues whatsoever with stability. Hydraulic is on its way out, like carburetors and magneto ignition.

By jjohn5
on 09/14/12 12:18 PM (PDT)

karaya, I don't disagree that there are other factors involved but ruling out the electric steering as you seem to do does not make sense to me; if you spend some time reading Edmunds forum and others or just google "electric steering problems" you will see that it is a pervasive problem involving different car makes and models. If you were fortunate enough to get a vehicle w/ electric steering that has no issues good for you. My brother was not so fortunate. G.M. has a pending lawsuit against a subsidiary of Toyota (JTEKT)a manufacturer of elec. steering. The evolution of this newer technology is not like fuel injection vs carburetors because there is little margin for error when it comes to steering. BTW the comment I made about the steering not returning to center was borrowed from a Hyundai Technician (for 11 years) who posted this on another forum and also stated that steering issues are now the repair shops most common complaint.

By carampdriver
on 09/22/12 09:10 AM (PDT)

Sorry... but I don't work for Hyundai. :) Have never owned one either. Just providing feedback that's all.

By jjohn5
on 09/13/12 08:33 AM (PDT)

I am considering purchase of this vehicle but now I wonder if this is a mistake due to the comments on the steering issues. When I heard that Hyundai designed this suv with electric steering rather than the tried and true hydraulic system I had a bad feeling about this vehicle. I believe the steering issues you are experiencing are due to the electric steering which I heard will not return to center the way conventional steering does. If this is the case there may not be a fix for this as it would be considered normal for this design. Ask your dealer mechanics about this, I would be interested in they're response.

By fshifteh
on 09/13/12 22:55 PM (PDT)

I am looking into buying one of these cars too. For those of you who are experiencing steering problems can you tell me if your vehicle is FWD or AWD? Also do you have the 2.4 or the 2.0T engine? This new steering system is that something that is standard on all new Santa Fes or it is part of a package that you can choose? Thank you!

By yooperbill
on 09/10/12 07:00 AM (PDT)

The tire inflation was at the recommended 33# in my car. The steering is precise but the cars wanders like crazy at highway speeds. On a flat, straight road at 65 mph with a breeze or cars passing, without steering input the car would be in the ditch within 4 or 6 seconds. At a minimum it fluctuates from one line to the other without any steering input. I don't know if its the tires, the alignment, the steering system or the aerodynamic shape of the car, I just want it fixed. None of the three different steering styles help the problem. If you use the comfort setting at highway speeds you will tend to over correct for the wandering. I pretty much use "normal". PS I tend to doubt the opinion of a guy that "based on comments" takes the time to test drive and then write a full write up on a car that looks like it was written from Hyundai Motor corp.

By carle3
on 06/21/13 13:39 PM (PDT)

Do not buy this car. I bought a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4 FWD. It too wanders all over the road. Dealer has now had it five times and cannot fix it. Last attempt was a computer software upgrade from 1.05 to 1.06. This gave me more free play at the center position but it still wanders. They will not work on it again so I have filed the defects report with the atty gen for the state of Florida. Carle

By rcassano
on 09/16/12 09:46 AM (PDT)

EPS Systems, (Electric Power Steering) are here to stay. Early BMW's with EPS had problems too and BMW resolved them, (according to a BMW owner friend). Hyundai can do the same thing - eventually. The steering wheel returning to center after a turn is a function of front end suspension geometry and an easy fix. I do not believe it has anything to do with the EPS system, but i may be wrong since I don't know the Santa Fe Sport specifically. I think Hyundai will get it right, hopefully during this model year. And, yes, there is a lot on the Internet regarding EPS.

By djg77
on 09/04/12 09:35 AM (PDT)

Based on the above comments and my overall interest in this car, I test drove a Santa Fe 2.0T this weekend. I didn't experience any wandering, either on the highway or off. I experimented with the three different steering styles (Sport, Comfort, and Normal) and didn't really notice any difference so I can't comment much on those yet. But definitely no wandering. I will say that the car is very comfortable, and pretty darn quiet. I was impressed with the options that come standard on the model, such as power seats. And apparently the standard 5-year bumper-to-bumper warranty can be upgraded to a 10-year, per the salesman. That's a lot of coverage for a pretty nice car. Most impressive was the pep you get from the turbo 4 engine. Ample power for ample highway acceleration thanks to it being a pretty light vehicle. I had no trouble navigating the highway traffic. I did a bit of research into how Hyundai was able to trim so much weight off of their cars while still maintaining safety standards and features. According to the company's website it invested $12 billion into a steel plant to make its own new metals. Whatever they did, it definitely feels like a powerful and sturdy car. I was hoping it wouldn't ride like a tin can, and I was pleased with the results of the test drive. For what that's worth.

By will777
on 07/06/13 10:40 AM (PDT)

I just bought the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4 FWD as others. As soon as I drove it home I experienced the same wandering problems other have reported. I had a similar problem with my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. However, there was a recall for the Sonata for this same exact problem, which fixed the problem with that car. Maybe they have not learned from their mistakes. Maybe, the engineers need to research the fix they developed for the Sonata, and apply it to the Santa Fe.