Used 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

New Hyundai Owner
By skwaz

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV AWD w/Saddle Interior (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought Santa Fe 2.0T in July to replace a much loved 2002 CRV. Thus far have found the car to be very fun to drive, comfortable at highway speeds, and the perfect size for driving around town. Only time will tell regarding reliability and dealer service. I have not had any complaints with the steering (as others have reported), and the 2.0T has plenty of power even in the ECO mode. My only complaint is the blind spot created by the severely angled rear windows. They seem to have sacrificed clear sight lines for styling.

Love the keyless remote, the size of the rear cargo area and the blue tooth. This is a very quiet car for its size and price point. Interior features have a much more upscale look vs. the CRV, and the car seems have much more power than the CRV as well.

Square off the rear side windows to reduce blind spots. Work on improving gas mileage.

ERRATIC STEERING PROBLEMS
By rockyatv

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We purchased a 2013 Sport 2.0 Turbo Oct 2012 and have only put on 4000 miles since then because of the poor steering. Picked it up on a Friday night and was back on Saturday,could not drive it on highway and keep it between the lines. Have had it back 6 times, adjusted the alignment, flashed the computer and even put in a new steering column and still have the problem. Filed under the Lemon law and have been going through the process for 4 months. Have to go through the BBB auto line before the state. BBB is funded by the auto industry, just found out our claim was rejected, even after the arbitrator had an expert driver do the report. DON'T BUY WITHOUT DRIVING ON HIGHWAY,WORST DRIVE.

Auto is beautiful and has all the bells and whistles, if only we could drive it and feel safe.

**GET RID OF THE ELECTRONIC STEERING**. Trying to save energy they now have a electric motor that turns the steering, which runs off the computer and takes into account RPM, imput torque from steering wheel and road speed. Problem is the steeing is so sensitive an 1/8" adjustment on the steering wheel causes the car to dart across the road and when you correct it the car darts the other way. Hyundai knows there is a problem, have even put out a TSB for the computer, but they will not acknowledge it. They blame it on the driver. Check the NHTSB complaints, there was 18 out of 51 with steering related problems when we filed our claim, probably more now. We can't all be wrong.

Superb in Many Ways , But......
By peekaboo

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

For me this vehicle has one major shortcoming. The front passenger seat does not flip forward to provide added length for carrying extra long items, such as 8ft. lumber. I previously owned a 2006 Hyundai Tucson and the back rest of the front passenger's seat inclined forward all the way into a flat position which allowed me to conveniently carry 8 ft. lengths of stock with the rear door closed. Not having the ability to do it on my Sante Fe is a major oversight by the Hyundai developmental Engineering group. I'm confident that there are many owners out there who share my displeasure over this incapability. After all, The Sante Fe sport is a cross between a car and a truck.

Fully forward inclining back rest on the front passenger seat.

My new car!
By ltckathy

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought my first new car in 28 years! I had been looking at the Santa Fe SUV for 2 years. Matt was great and very informative and I was able to secure a very good deal.

I love the heated steering wheel and the heated seats as well as the satellite radio option. The engine has great horsepower and runs quietly.

When dealerships receive a car, they should thoroughly inspect the car to make sure everything is in good working order before it is sold. That includes turning on and off all seat heaters, air conditioning vents etc. Otherwise the new car owner has to bring the car in for repair before they have had an opportunity to really enjoy thier new purchase.

Steering and Driving Disappointment
By lrwilsonjr

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I purchased a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (2.0 T AWD) in March of 2013. I haven’t owned a Hyundai since 1988 and assumed the brand had improved. While in comparison to the 1988 Excel I owed, quality has made leaps and bounds, but this vehicle still falls short. The steering is erratic no matter what steering mode is chosen. Due to this, control of the vehicle, especially at high speeds, is a challenge. On roads with bumps, the vehicle seems to jump when hitting one. If turning a corner and a bump is hit, hold on tight…you may lose control of the vehicle. This is a safety concern experienced by many other 2013 Santa Fe owners and to date Hyundai corporate hasn’t addressed the issue.

My favorite feature about the Santa Fe was the decision I made this past weekend sell it, take a substantial loss, and purchase a more solid vehicle (Volkswagen Touareg). I owned the Santa Fe for about five months and can say without a doubt that I am more disappointed in this vehicle that any other I’ve bought throughout the years. The Hyundai brand is pretty much off my shopping list for future purchases.

The steering and general control issues need to be addressed. This is a safety concern. An additional issue I had with the vehicle was the mpg display was grossly inaccurate as to the mpg I was getting, i.e., display indicated 23-24 mpg when the actual mpg was 18-19 mpg. The five months I owned the vehicle I saw the average mpg at 19 for the vehicle. This is much lower that what’s promised. My new VW Touareg is getting that and it’s a much heavier vehicle with a substantially larger engine. My suggestion to anyone considering the 2013 Santa Fe is to think long and hard and do substantial research to include the NTSB data base of customer complaints. It’s not a pretty picture.