2013 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Consumer Review - 2013 Santa Fe Steering is

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Review

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

2013 Santa Fe Steering is scary on straigh highway
By njuneer on

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have 256 miles on one week old 2013 Santa Fe Sport -non turbo. Great car, great style, good warranty..... however power steering is scary on straight highway.... it constantly requires correction to keep it on the road. Should have read up on this one before purchase. Dealer says all is OK....alignment, tire pressure, steering system. Was told to just get used to it....not happy at all....will be taking it to the next level soon. Recommend a 30 mile highway test drive before purchase.....

Suggested Improvements

Steering System needs repair or software upgrade....
By rtown1
on 03/08/13 11:10 AM (PST)

Just purchased 2013 2.0T. The steering is very touchy. Like power assisted rack and pinion. If you choose any of the three steering settings, to me they are all the same. Getting used to it, but it can be scary. Hoping for a software update to correct it. It's a shame, because other than that it's a great car. Getting 22.5 MPG on daily driving. The interior is comfortable and the ride is good.

By backtoblack1
on 01/13/13 18:22 PM (PST)

I did initially notice this problem somewhat on my 2.0T on my first road trip of about 500 miles. I checked my tire pressure at about 1300 miles and found that the tires were 2 psi over what was recommended by the manual. This seem to make a difference because the vehicle now is steering fairly straight in the normal and sport modes at speeds of 45 mph or greater, and even on rough pavement. I am not sure if this is your problem because all of the major complaints on this that I have read seem to be with the 2.4L. I also noticed that all of the test drives of the vehicle early on (in ParK City, UT) before it was released was of 2.0T and not the 2.4L, and I always wondered why. I now believe this problem may be more prevalent in the 2.4L from everything I have reviewed and experienced with my 2.0T, even though I think the steering could be improved.

By dwaggard
on 01/17/13 12:05 PM (PST)

This problem appears to be much worse with a few of these and just noticeable but tolerable in most others. It is noticeable in my 2.0T but normally not until I get to highway speeds. I did get used to it after driving it for a week but it's my wife's car so every time I go a couple weeks without driving it I have to get used to it all over again. I believe they will get it resolved in the new 2014 year but I doubt they will bother going back to fix the ones from 2013. Bummer because that's about the only thing that really bothers me about it.

By jjohn5
on 01/10/13 16:59 PM (PST)

The line you were given from the Dealer... "just get used to it" is they're way of washing they're hands of what is an inherent manufacturers design flaw which they will treat as a normal steering characteristic for this particular model and therefore nothing more they can do until Hyundai comes up with a fix. The fix could come in the form of a TSB or recall... that is assuming Hyundai wants to fix it now or wait til the 2014 model year. Get a digital camera w/ movie mode and record the steering issue your experiencing then post it on various sites (youtube). Also email your video to Hyundai's Customer Affairs and NHTSA . Document all trips to the dealer and carefully read the paperwork your given to be sure your complaint was accurately described. I was considering purchase of this vehicle but may wait awhile or move on to something else.