Used 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Worst purchase I have ever made!
By Anonymous

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Santa Fe Sport 2.0t AWD new in January of 2013, replacing my Hyundai Veracruz that was a bucket list of problems. Starting out the car was great, ran smooth, no noise, comfortable, etc. October 2015, it completely died, the entire engine had to be replaced, what started as a small ticking noise soon turned into what sounded like the engine about to blow out from under the hood. Dealership had the car approximately a month, when i got it back I had the vehicle 5 days before the Turbo went out and had to be replaced, another 2 weeks at the dealership, got the car back again for 7 days, and it died again, this time the dealership couldn't diagnose the problem, had a Hyundai engineer come in and they couldn't figure out the problem either, they somehow got the car running and gave it back to me. Sensor after sensor has failed on the car, the tail lights have all been replaced due to broken seals, fuel sensors replaced, door locks replaced, door handles replaced, all due to failures. I am currently waiting on a Glove Compartment replacement to come since that has recently failed too, and I just noticed today that when i use the front windshield washer that the rear wiper comes on and the front wipers come on while using the rear washer fluid. This car has turned into the biggest piece of junk imaginable. Service department always has an excuse. Avoid Hyundai at all costs.

Not a perfect Hundai but I would buy it again
By cecelia swainston

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had many close calls not being able to see cars and/or pedestrians because of the wide trim by the front windshield and side mirror. It is a hazardous obstacle.

Love to Steer
By Rob Buckman

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV w/Saddle Interior (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, we love this 6-passenger car that allow folding down of all the seats (except) front for some extreme cargo space. It drives and handles extremely well...when it lets you. We all make hundreds of minor steering adjustments every few minutes to correct for lane drift, bumps in the road, wind, etc. Occasionally, at speeds above 35mph, this car decides it wants to lock the steering wheel straight. Not so much that you can't turn it, but it takes extra effort. It gets exhausting over the course of a long trip...and is an obvious safety concern.

New owner :)
By Lori

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Very happy with my purchase. I really wanted an SUV that accelerated a little slower to keep me out of trouble. :) Im averaging about 28.3 MPG, very quiet car even with eco on. I love how this vehicle handles - I feel more in control! Brakes handle nicely, I use comfort steering which is fantastic, turn is great, parking is super easy. Had a smaller SUV (Escape 4cyl) before this one and it did not handle like this - that car sucks compared to this (personal opinion). Though there are some rear blind spots, the rear view camera makes up for it. The heated front and rear seats, heated steering wheel, bluetooth audio and panoramic sunroof are definitely a HUGE bonus. I feel safe, comfortable and can make it to and from work with ease. EXTREMELY HAPPY!

beware if buying for your kids to ride in
By samuel E.

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I first bought a Hyundai sonata 2011 which was fair in function considering the cost so I decided to change to the Santa Fe 2.0T I bought this Santa Fe for my wife and our two girls then 4 and 5yrs old. First problem was when one of the rare seat beat got locked up in my daughter's car seat as she tried to unlock the seal belt so she could get out of the car while we were in the garage no matter how hard we tried we could not get it released and in fact it got more tightened across her belly to the point she started foaming. Eventually we had to do the inevitable, cut the seat belt to free our daughter. When we took it to the dealership ,they played it down until I told them I was not as stupid as they may think. After fixing it for us the problem persisted when I took it back they were trying to force me to believe that was how a seat belt was suppose to work. For heaven sake, I have own 12 yr old VW and the belt worked better. As a result we had to place a scissors in the car and for 6 months my 4yr old did not want to sit in that car. The winter was the worse periods because I had to pull on the seat belt and adjust it several times before getting it to work in the cold freezing winter. I paid over $ 550 monthly as lease payment to endure such brutality from Hyundai. There were so many other customer service problems with this vehicle from Hyundai America to the local dealership including transmission breakdown that the least said the better. I decided to add a little more $200 to get an Acura MDX and I feel liberated. NEVER again will I spend my hard earned dollars on a Hyundai. The cost savings is not worth the dangerous risk . What if we were at a shopping mall parking lot and my little darling got stuck and foamed to death as she was choking.

• SUV