Used 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

LEASING A HYUNDAI? BUYER BEWARE!
By Boo Yaa

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I leased my Hyundai Santa Fe in 2013 and I am overall happy with the vehicle. There were some issues early on, one of which was taken care of by the dealer. My Santa Fe had the "sqeaking in the dashboard" issue which apparently a lot of other owners shared. It was a piece of insulation left out of the production process. The dealer initially balked at acknowledging the issue but eventually fixed it after having to completely remove the dashboard. The ride is adequate but tire and road noise is above average for a vehicle in this class. The 2013 Santa Fe's also have an issue with "wandering". At highway speeds the car will not hold it's lane and requires constant steering corrections which is very tiring on long trips. In the forums I read where later model years also experience this problem. The Infotainment System has many bright spots in comparison to other vehicles I've owned and from reviews of other vehicles. One downside is the inability of Hyundai to update it's software relating to the "shuffle" option for the stereo and the salesperson stating the system would play a DVD movie through the touchscreen - which it will not. Apparently it's common for Hyundai leases to include a $400.00 Disposition Fee which is charged to you upon returning the vehicle at the end of the lease. Granted, this fee is listed on the lease agreement but neither the sales person nor the lease manager pointed it out to me when reviewing the document. Frankly, I wasn't expecting this additional cost as none of my prior leases ever included such a charge. I've leased from Lexus, Lincoln, Nissan, Infiniti and Ford and have NEVER been charged a disposition fee upon return of the vehicle - even if not leasing another vehicle of the same type which is the only way Hyundai will waive the fee. I would never lease another vehicle from Hyundai as long as a Disposition fee is charged and would highly suggest anyone considering a Hyundai lease to carefully review their lease documents.

Don't buy one!
By Mike Lamberton

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV w/Saddle Interior (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I feel I'm stuck with a defect of a car and an even worse dealership that does not call, confirm or even care. Radio went out, backpack up camera went out. Engine noise (knocking sound) continues even after they said they fixed it! Everyone from service advisor to service manager just doesn't seem to care, in fact they talk to me like I am a bother more than anything else. Called to reschedule another visit after the knocking sound obviously wasn't fixed, they lied about having a loaner available, in fact the guy that took my call did t even care to pass my message along! Estimated mileage is an absolute lie, had to manually raise the headlights, because they come adjusted so low.

Beautiful interior

Hyundai care, better engineering, horrible steering, better quality management, better dealership/customer interactions.

Terrible headlights
By Charles Skip Ferguson

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Everything is except the head lights

Nothing special.

Headlights, they throw a puddle of illumination in front of the nose that extends only 15 to 20 feet, I'd say. I have to use the high beams to see road signs and on a dark roads they are not much better than the low beams. They're bad. The dealer said there isn't anything wrong with them. I leave the high beams all the time and have never had another car ask me to lower them. Last Hyundai for me.

Our was a Lemon, Manufacturer didn't care
By jsb71

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The problems with our 2013 Santa Fe Limited (2.0L AWD) began last July when the engine died (rattling noise in cylinders). Shop foreman requested full engine block replacement, but Manufacturing Company only approved short block. Car was returned 30 days later (no rental given) and continued to have problems. 5 months later, we are back at the shop, having the engine replaced again. Dealership is working with us on a replacement vehicle deal, for which we are thankful, but the Manufacturer has shown no compassion. We will be going to court to reclaim lost time with the car over payments and insurance costs.

Overall, we like the car, despite our engine troubles.

Much needs to be done with the customer service at the manufacturing level. No car company is immune to lemons, but it is how the company deals with these problems that makes the difference. Hyundai Canada cares about their profits, not their customers.

Nice at first-now the worst purchase ever
By cofun74

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/Saddle Interior (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the Santa Fe in April of 2013. I put a lot of miles on my vehicle with highway travel back and forth to work and driving my child to her activities. Currently my vehicle has 40,000 in October of 2014. I really enjoyed the vehicle at first, until the funny clunking sound started in the front end while starting off from a complete stop. After my Hyundai ceritifed service department at Bob Brady Dodge proceded to tell me nothing was wrong with my vehicle and that they had driven it 10 miles, although the odometer had the same mileage as when it was dropped off. When the service guy rode with me he did confirm it didn't sound right, although they convinced me it was just the AWD.