Used 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

My second Santa Fe
By jezirabid

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My first Santa Fe was a 2011 GLS, which someone hit while hubby was driving. Santa Fe was totaled, but the husband lived to tell the story. It rolled to one side, skidding a hundred feet before crashing into a median cement block directly in front of the police department. It did its job well for a direct high speed hit to the side. Which is why I bought ... My second Santa Fe, a 2012 - well worth its weight in gold, and came with a couple new features the '11 did not have. I searched long and hard and compared economy SUVs, and for the price and warranty, you can't beat this vehicle. Even used, Hyundai happily replaced a faulty door panel without hesitation. Excellent Customer serv

Favorite Features

A lot of perks and extras come with this vehicle. It's roomy, a plus for long trips with a kid and a dog in back, and a tall driver with long legs. I love the choices of Ipod, stereo, XM, or CD music. I love the cargo floor compartments in the rear. The many USB/12v connections throughout the vehicle make charging and using various devices easy, as well as the Accessory setting to use while the car isn't running - to charge stuff. Hands free, auto connect to cell, answer on the steering wheel, talk through speakers, never touch the phone.I LOVE this! Backseat is roomy and has tilt seats, a center tray that hides in the seat when not in use.Great space for a bored 9yo on a long trip.

Suggested Improvements

The 2012, as well as the 2011, has a couple drawbacks. Having the 2011 first, I knew the '12 would probably be a somewhat bumpy ride as well. It isn't as smooth sailing as it could be, and it is noticeable. The seat bottoms in the bucket seats could be extended out further, unless you have really short legs, the edge of the seat will not be hitting the back of your knees, but fall short. The head rests are somewhat awkward, even though adjustable, but this is an easy fix using a neck pillow or something, and only noticeable to me on long road trips where the comfort factor is going to be an issue after a few hundred miles. I never think about it when I'm just driving around town.

junk
By gradstudent28

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

as an engineer I can reassure you this vehicle is junk. flimsy build materials inside and out. thin plastic on the inside, thin metal pieces, and doors. 40k miles the vehicle has more rattles then my dead grandma, and the shocks seem to be worn out!! I would NOT reccomend this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

hyundai needs to actually try when it comes to building a vehicle. you can dress a [non-permissible content removed] up to make it look good, but underneath its still a piece! thin, cheap parts abound on these vehicles and low resale value.

Very satisfied with this SUV
By vlasi

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this suv new over two years ago. We absolutely love it. We have not had a single problem with it. Other than the seats being a little hard for me I can't think of a single thing I would like to change. Smooth riding, good acceleration and very good gas mileage.

Bought used, driven for 4 months/5000km
By splatapus

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought used, I have driven it for 4 months and 5000km now. Ride is a little rough, you can feel and hear some little bumps in the road. The fan and AC system sometimes has a mind of its own. It will turn on by itself after I turn it off. Although I'm starting to figure out how to get around it by adjusting the fan speed then hit OFF. Driving on highway to merge and stepping on accelerator, sometimes there will be a dead spot on how far you push the accelerator. The car will hesitate or not accelerate as fast as you want to for 2 seconds, then accelerate normally. It is roomy and comfortable inside. The center armrest between driver and passenger sometimes creaks. Overall not a bad car.

Favorite Features

Very roomy and comfortable. Plenty of cargo space. Exterior design is good. Engine layout on 2.4L is simple and looks easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

I bought the car knowing gas mileage for this SUV (or any SUV) is not good, so I cannot complain about something I expected. I'm getting 9.7L/100km on mixed highway/city driving 50/50. Was able to get 8.5L/100km driving all highway on a road trip. Fix the fan automatically on glitch. Fix hesitation on accelerator pedal. Haven't had it long enough to test reliability, if anything else comes up I will add to comments.

piece of junk
By geologist26

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

the sante fe is one big piece of junk. I purchased it new GLS V6 AWD and have had several minor issues with it. The biggest being the AWD DOES NOT WORK! it has a ton of cheap parts inside and out and is just a bunch of junk overall. Me and my parents have owned mercedes, chevys, cadillacs, and fords and this vehicle is one of the worst! HYUNDAI DOES NOT TAKE PRIDE IN THEIR VEHICLES, no matter how good they might look.

Favorite Features

comfortable seats in GLS.

Suggested Improvements

build quality sucks! awd does not seem to work at all.