Used 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Run away!
By D. Parker

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought one of these and treated it well throughout its life. All maintenance was performed as per the manufacturers recommendations. At 128,000 miles, the engine failed catastrophically without warning. At normal highway speeds, a piston shattered without warning, and blew through the bottom of the engine. At the time of the failure, gauges indicated normal engine temperature, oil pressure, and RPMs.
It is my opinion that these circumstances can only point to a manufacturing defect or a isolated and documented service error.
Worse, Hyundai USA failed to meet agreed obligations. a Hyundai certified remanufactured engine was ordered and paid for. 28 days later, I was advised that they no longer make this engine. They had my money, my car, and now the only option is for a salvage engine, and a possible lawsuit.
I am aware that [non-permissible content removed] happens, but the companies action are reprehensible, and should make everyone reconsider a Hyundai purchase.

Nice ride
By Eric Balzer

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

No memory no power passenger seat, no power lift gate.

Hyundai, the new people's car
By Mike

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I drove my 2012 Hyundai 6cyl SE for 3.5 years and 90,000 miles. No glitches. I changed from Subaru when my 13th displayed multiple flaws in quality, reliability and design. Hyundai is what Subaru used to be but with better styling. It's affordable, reliable and fun to drive. I recently traded it in on a 2016 Santa Fe 6 seat with 6cyl. and am pleased with the evolution to the new design.

Bring Duct Tape
By SEZ

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Don't be misled by the appearance of the comfort of this vehicle. The 2012 Santa Fe, while performing well, is loaded with subpar craftsmanship and design. After not even 3 1/2 years I have had pieces literally fly off the car, constant recalls and a myriad of simple things being replaced -- from light switches to a sun roof that leaked.

Handling is OK, but there is more than comfortable body sway on corners. Winter driving is OK, but if you're in heavy snow areas, winter tires are highly recommended. The Blue Tooth set-up is second rate as is the navigation. In fact, the navigation is so whacked out, that even the dealer I bought the car from did not how to use it.

Adjustments for things like auto door locks are non existent and the appointments, such as switches and controls and second rate -- at best.

Quite honestly, if Toyota's Rav-4 did not have the goofy side-opening rear door (which they have since done away with) I would have gone with that car, or maybe the Chevy Equinox.

I generally keep my cars for an extended period of time, but this will not be the case with the Santa Fe. As soon as it's paid off, or hits 50k miles -- it's gone.

My second Santa Fe
By jezirabid

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My first Santa Fe was a 2011 GLS, which someone hit while hubby was driving. Santa Fe was totaled, but the husband lived to tell the story. It rolled to one side, skidding a hundred feet before crashing into a median cement block directly in front of the police department. It did its job well for a direct high speed hit to the side. Which is why I bought ...
My second Santa Fe, a 2012 - well worth its weight in gold, and came with a couple new features the '11 did not have.
I searched long and hard and compared economy SUVs, and for the price and warranty, you can't beat this vehicle. Even used, Hyundai happily replaced a faulty door panel without hesitation. Excellent Customer serv

A lot of perks and extras come with this vehicle. It's roomy, a plus for long trips with a kid and a dog in back, and a tall driver with long legs. I love the choices of Ipod, stereo, XM, or CD music. I love the cargo floor compartments in the rear. The many USB/12v connections throughout the vehicle make charging and using various devices easy, as well as the Accessory setting to use while the car isn't running - to charge stuff. Hands free, auto connect to cell, answer on the steering wheel, talk through speakers, never touch the phone.I LOVE this! Backseat is roomy and has tilt seats, a center tray that hides in the seat when not in use.Great space for a bored 9yo on a long trip.

The 2012, as well as the 2011, has a couple drawbacks. Having the 2011 first, I knew the '12 would probably be a somewhat bumpy ride as well. It isn't as smooth sailing as it could be, and it is noticeable. The seat bottoms in the bucket seats could be extended out further, unless you have really short legs, the edge of the seat will not be hitting the back of your knees, but fall short. The head rests are somewhat awkward, even though adjustable, but this is an easy fix using a neck pillow or something, and only noticeable to me on long road trips where the comfort factor is going to be an issue after a few hundred miles. I never think about it when I'm just driving around town.