Used 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Run away!
By D. Parker

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought one of these and treated it well throughout its life. All maintenance was performed as per the manufacturers recommendations. At 128,000 miles, the engine failed catastrophically without warning. At normal highway speeds, a piston shattered without warning, and blew through the bottom of the engine. At the time of the failure, gauges indicated normal engine temperature, oil pressure, and RPMs.
It is my opinion that these circumstances can only point to a manufacturing defect or a isolated and documented service error.
Worse, Hyundai USA failed to meet agreed obligations. a Hyundai certified remanufactured engine was ordered and paid for. 28 days later, I was advised that they no longer make this engine. They had my money, my car, and now the only option is for a salvage engine, and a possible lawsuit.
I am aware that [non-permissible content removed] happens, but the companies action are reprehensible, and should make everyone reconsider a Hyundai purchase.

My second Santa Fe
By jezirabid

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My first Santa Fe was a 2011 GLS, which someone hit while hubby was driving. Santa Fe was totaled, but the husband lived to tell the story. It rolled to one side, skidding a hundred feet before crashing into a median cement block directly in front of the police department. It did its job well for a direct high speed hit to the side. Which is why I bought ...
My second Santa Fe, a 2012 - well worth its weight in gold, and came with a couple new features the '11 did not have.
I searched long and hard and compared economy SUVs, and for the price and warranty, you can't beat this vehicle. Even used, Hyundai happily replaced a faulty door panel without hesitation. Excellent Customer serv

A lot of perks and extras come with this vehicle. It's roomy, a plus for long trips with a kid and a dog in back, and a tall driver with long legs. I love the choices of Ipod, stereo, XM, or CD music. I love the cargo floor compartments in the rear. The many USB/12v connections throughout the vehicle make charging and using various devices easy, as well as the Accessory setting to use while the car isn't running - to charge stuff. Hands free, auto connect to cell, answer on the steering wheel, talk through speakers, never touch the phone.I LOVE this! Backseat is roomy and has tilt seats, a center tray that hides in the seat when not in use.Great space for a bored 9yo on a long trip.

The 2012, as well as the 2011, has a couple drawbacks. Having the 2011 first, I knew the '12 would probably be a somewhat bumpy ride as well. It isn't as smooth sailing as it could be, and it is noticeable. The seat bottoms in the bucket seats could be extended out further, unless you have really short legs, the edge of the seat will not be hitting the back of your knees, but fall short. The head rests are somewhat awkward, even though adjustable, but this is an easy fix using a neck pillow or something, and only noticeable to me on long road trips where the comfort factor is going to be an issue after a few hundred miles. I never think about it when I'm just driving around town.

Very satisfied with this SUV
By vlasi

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this suv new over two years ago.
We absolutely love it.
We have not had a single problem with it.
Other than the seats being a little hard for me I can't think of a single thing I would like to change.
Smooth riding, good acceleration and very good gas mileage.

Bought used, driven for 4 months/5000km
By splatapus

2012 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought used, I have driven it for 4 months and 5000km now. Ride is a little rough, you can feel and hear some little bumps in the road. The fan and AC system sometimes has a mind of its own. It will turn on by itself after I turn it off. Although I'm starting to figure out how to get around it by adjusting the fan speed then hit OFF.
Driving on highway to merge and stepping on accelerator, sometimes there will be a dead spot on how far you push the accelerator. The car will hesitate or not accelerate as fast as you want to for 2 seconds, then accelerate normally.
It is roomy and comfortable inside. The center armrest between driver and passenger sometimes creaks.
Overall not a bad car.

Very roomy and comfortable. Plenty of cargo space. Exterior design is good. Engine layout on 2.4L is simple and looks easy to work on.

I bought the car knowing gas mileage for this SUV (or any SUV) is not good, so I cannot complain about something I expected. I'm getting 9.7L/100km on mixed highway/city driving 50/50. Was able to get 8.5L/100km driving all highway on a road trip. Fix the fan automatically on glitch. Fix hesitation on accelerator pedal. Haven't had it long enough to test reliability, if anything else comes up I will add to comments.