Used 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Poor gas mileage
By geobcon

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The MPG, when having first purchased the Hyundai Santa Fe, was upwards of 25.5 on trips and around 22 to 23 in the city driving. This was the prime reason I got rid of my Dodge Dakota which was giving me 16MPG/18MPG city/highway respectively. My total driven miles since the lease of my Santa Fe are 3800 +/- as of 12/12/11. About a week ago, 12/05/11, the MPG had decreased to 19.0 MPG on trips and very little change in city driving. I filled the tank and noted that the MPG reading went back up to 24.0 MPG for a few miles then dropped back to 19.0 MPG whether I was on the road at a constant 60 MPH or driving in the city at 30 MPH . Checking the actual miles driven since the last fill-up (on 12/12/11) with the gallons of gas consumed, i.e. Miles/Gallons used, the MPG calculated to 18.0 MPG. Why?? The odometer resets the MPG after fill up. Iím up to 19.8MPG having driven 3 miles from the gas station and will continue to monitor the MPG to see if it reaches the expected MPG (the reason I purchased a Hyundai) I brought the car to the dealership (where leased on 09/12/11) to have the problem checked and they werenít able to find any problem other than the tire pressure was down by 3 psi. Our temp had fallen to below freezing that day but even so, when the problem first occurred, the temp was in the 60ís. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and if so, is there a solution?

Best Value For the Cost
By spbinmb

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased a new Santa Fe late in September paying 31.5k all in no financing. The owner of the dealership is also the manager, and offered to trade it in at the same value in two years. We've put about 2500 km on, about half winter driving with icy roads - the traction control and AWD is excellent. The defrost takes about 5 minutes to clear the windshield, same for rear and mirrors. Heated seats take less, and are wonderful when coming out of -30c. Road noise is minimal, visibility is good. No mechanical issues to date - when we took possession of the vehicle the turn signal was a little sticky; it didn't pop back into position automatically. After a week of use that cleared up

Favorite Features

Good space - we got an 8' ft tall Xmas tree in the back no problem without resorting to leaving the back open and using bungie cords. Smooth ride - even in winter with hard tires and cold suspension, it is an extremely smooth ride, which says a lot considering the road quality in Winnipeg. Heated seats, mirrors are a must have in Manitoba, and we were hard pressed to find another vehicle with similar features for a similar price. Visibility is excellent all around, the previous model's blind spot has been reduced significantly and rear visibility is good, even with passengers and cargo. Brakes are very sensitive, and the ABS is not overly-sensitive.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage is average to less than advertised in winter especially, when using the heated seats and the defrosts. Not really avoidable, but not ideal. Some people might fault a vehicle with 276HP for not having better pickup - these aren't zippy at all, they really make you commit to accelerating before you feel it really pick up. Not that I mind terribly, I would just like a more responsive accelerator pedal. Spare tire location is a little inconvenient, but it saves trunk space for cargo. It was assembled in the USA, downside for me as a Canadian in light of the "Buy America" policy/nonsense going on. Assemble them in Ontario.

very unhappy with dealer and hyundai customer service
By drobbins

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Lets just get right to it. A terriable metal noise in the back door.Dealer claims this is normal .to me and everyone else sounds like a pop weld somewhere between panels. how about a terriable squeaking noise in my driver seat sounds like a broken bed spring. Dealer claims this is normal. And how about a loud humming noise from the stereo system. Again dealer said this is normal. And how about help from Hyundai customer service. NO WAY DEALER CLAIMS CAR UP TO SPEC'S WE VALUE WHAT ARE DEALER TELLS US??. What a shame i only have 2300 miles it could of been a good value for the money. I guess I will look and trade my car in. my loss and my gain into a quantiy car this time like Honda.

Favorite Features

ENGINE PERFORMANCE

Suggested Improvements

NEED BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE. AND BETTER DEALERS TAKE CARE AFTER THE SALE. BOUGHT MY CAR AT PLANET HYUNDAI LAS VEGAS NV.

Great vehicle
By captk321

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Nearing 3,000 miles and am still impressed with the Santa Fe. The V6 performs well. Mileage has been averaging 22 around town. Nice leather with the Limited pkg. Infinity sound system sounds good but nothing special. No road trip yet but am looking forward to one soon.

Favorite Features

Hidden storage compartment in rear, nice wheels, dual a/c, bluetooth, responsive engine when needed, good mileage, good value.

Suggested Improvements

At 5'9" it seems unusual that I have to duck my head so drastically getting into the drivers seat. I'm still an avid cd user and there's really nowhere to store them unless you want to dedicate your armrest storage. Suspension might be too light duty for this car. My car almost bottoms out when going up or down not-too-steep driveway approaches.

Solid CUV, excellent value
By captathlon

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've waited to write a review on our Limited FWD until we've had it for a couple months in order to get over the "I love this vehicle" feeling that we all have when we get a new car. We now have almost 3,000 miles on ours, and we don't necessarily love this vehicle, but we really like it a lot. We're very pleased with the power and fuel mileage, impressed with the design and build quality, and pretty satisfied with the features. There is some suspension noise and the ride can be a bit jarring when going over large bumps or potholes, but overall it has a nice ride. If I had the chance to do it over again, would I still buy a Santa Fe? Absolutely.

Favorite Features

Love the V-6's power! This thing flat out MOVES and still gets good fuel mileage. We average around 24 combined; about 21 in town and as high as 28 on the highway. Seats are pretty comfortable, driving position is good, Infiniti sound system ROCKS, rear seats provide plenty of legroom (even for our 6'3" son), rear cargo space is very good, transmission is incredibly smooth, the automatic climate control system with dual controls is awesome, the location of the rear air vents is nice and actually blow air (unlike other vehicles I've had that directed very little airflow to the rear), moonroof is sweet, Homelink is cool, interior and exterior looks are nice but not flashy.

Suggested Improvements

Things the Limited should have that would make us go from really like to absolutely love: Dual power seats Memory driver's seat Power liftgate (button in vehicle AND on keyfob) Rain sensing windshield wipers Smoother ride (just a bit softer please) Larger storage compartment under cargo area Ability to dim the dashboard lights more (I like my cockpit pretty dark) Light dimmer should also dim stereo and climate control backlighting The microphone for the Bluetooth phone is located above your head, which makes it sound like you're in a fishbowl when you talk. It should be positioned in the A-pillar, where it would be more in line with the direction your voice carries in the car.