2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Revised: No Longer completely satisfied!
By tedrik on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is an update from my review from 05/09/10. I absolutely loved everything about this car (past tense). I have been experiencing transmission problems which seems to be worsening. I am experiencing rough- "clunking" and abrupt shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear. Also at first start after overnight I hear a metal clanging from underneath towards the back/underside of the vehicle right after the first "clunk". Hyundai has "no fix". They have been reflashing the tcm's, ecm's, installing "new transmissions" with the same problems! Hyundai needs to step-up and remedy this problem. Purportedly it was defective transmissions from 1st production runs.

Oil Leak & Trans Issues
By NDPA on 08/30/10 10:24 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is the first and LAST Hyundai I will EVER buy. I typically buy Honda (Accord, CR-V), but I bought the SF based on good reviews (Consumer Reports, etc.), enjoyable test drive, and apparent bang for the buck over the new CR-Vs. After 8K miles I have had 2 oil leaks (Timing Chain Cover Seal + cracked oil filter housing), & the intermittent transmission issues (hard shift, banging, lurching, etc.) that so many others have had. I will now crawl back to Honda for my next new car. It's a shame because without those MAJOR, inexcusable issues, the Santa Fe is an otherwise enjoyable vehicle. I thought Hyundai had done a 180 from the laughing stock it once was, looks like I was wrong.

Odor in AC
By Susan on 08/29/10 05:10 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe from Coconut Creek and complained about the odor in my car. They would not honor my warranty and wanted to charge $140 for repairs. I took it to another dealer and they used disinfectant and the smell came back. Hyundai admits the problem because they changed the ionizer to eliminate bad odors. I wouldn't buy another Hyundai again since they are not standing behind their problem with the AC

Totally Happy
By Wings on 08/26/10 14:10 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought the Santa Fe Limited with navigation after a lot of research and test drives of other vehicles. I have to say it has lived up to every situation that i can throw at it. I have read that some users have had issues but I can not say that I have had any of those problems. The only exception is that I am getting a little better gas mileage now than on the spec sheet.

TONS of research, not as advertised!
By carguru on 08/25/10 21:16 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Fellow buyers, I am torn in this review. I researched this purchase literally to death! There isn't a site I left unviewed, a model in this category I didn't drive, PERIOD! But I eventually settled on the Santa Fe due to unbeatable feature/$$ list, improved mileage, and warranty. I love the truck in almost all ways, BUT, there is certainly a transmission issue with these trucks (slams into gear, lurches forward unpredictably as others mentioned!), and the mileage is nowhere near EPA. I have 25k km on mine, and never see below 12 L/100 km and EPA est is 7.6/100 km hwy and 10.1/100 km city. NO CHANCE! I have had service chk tranny twice, and going for third time in two days! :-(

Hard Shifting among other things
By caz on 08/23/10 10:02 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe in February of 2010. Since day one I have experienced fast idle upon starting (1500 rpm), hard shifting, A/C that won't work when idling and then no A/C at all and a "thumping" in the cabin of the vehicle (right about center console location). After repeated trips to the service dept. the fast idle still exists, the hard shifting still exists, and the A/C has been fixed. I was horrified when the service dept. told me that the transmission may have to be replaced but they would have to get the car to "relearn" something or other (what??). I'm going back to the dealership and I want a new transmission or a new car - simple as that. Totally unhappy.

For the price, a Great Value
By Bill on 08/22/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Fun car to drive, after owning a Honda CR-V, this car has a lot of power compared to the 4 cyl Honda. The all wheel drive is just great. You really notice it in the rain.

Bad Transmission
By Jim on 08/19/10 21:07 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased 2010 Hyundai Sante Fe V6. While the car rides smoothly and gets good mileage for midsized SUV the car has serious transmission issues. When you first start off it sporadically will make a loud bang as it shifts between 1- 2 gear. It also has a rocking motion caused by the transmission when slowly accelerating. It also shakes badly when shifting from park to either reverse or drive. Contacted Hyundai Consumer affairs about this issue and they say that they do no have any trend as to any transmission issues. Do a Google search on 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe transmission problems and you will see many unhappy owners. Car is at the dealer as I write this. Doesn't look good. Don't buy

Not really pleased
By tjpswoosh on 08/17/10 19:14 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the Santa Fe after quite a bit of research. Can't tow even close the half of the listed weight, listed a 19 gallon gas tank, can only put 17 in bone dry. Already have a leak that needs to be repaired on the timing cover. Was told it is an issue they are having with the 3.3 engines. Lots of bang for the buck but not happy with there already being mechanical issues.

Not Happy
By John on 08/07/10 03:54 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Just wanted to let anyone interested in buying a 2010 Santa Fe Limited to know the problems that we have had. The first problem was a hard shift from a slow start. The dealership tried to tell us that it was because of a new electronic transmission and that we would get used to it. Well, it became so bad and after taking it in several times they replaced the transmission. Big surprise the problem went away. Next, the A/C went out and their service department said they could find anything wrong and it miraculously started working again. The latest is the satellite radio, it has stopped working and they will now have to replace it as well. Never again will we buy a Hyundai vehicle.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe in VA is:

$112 per month*