2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Tranmission
By disgruntled27 on 07/08/14 05:37 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am into my 3rd transmission for a car that is 4 years old and 30,000 miles. Dealer cannot explain why my car keeps destroying the transmissions. But when engaging my car into gear there is a delay and then bangs into gear. I am totally disgusted and am getting rid of this car. I will never recommend this car to anyone.

A very solid vehicle
By cam36 on 05/26/13 21:39 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mine is a Limited, FWD. Bought in June of 2010. Just turned 37,000 miles. Runs great. Nice power and handling. 20-22 mpg combined winter and summer--all right for v-6 w 276hp. Has been completely reliable thus far with absolutely no mechanical issues at all! The only complaints I have are the road noise at highway speeds and its sensitivity in acceleration from a standstill, it wants to jump right out there...not much room for finesse. If you need to floor it to pass or maneuver, it takes a noticeable lapse of time where it does nothing ( like a turbo hesitating before it kicks in) and then it snaps to and takes off. Aside from these things, it's been a great vehicle.

Very Decent If Purchased Correctly
By bobbichen on 01/20/12 10:46 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a medium term follow up. I have owned this unit about 6 months with about 5k miles on it. Simply put, I went in with low expectations but it is growing on me. I had the issues with the transmission like many. Three trips to the dealer (flash upgrades and a fluid refill due to a dealer mistake) followed by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds (computer reset) finally sorted it out. Now the vehicle drives smoothly with only an occasional missed shift. Mediocre MPG (about 16 to 18 city). All around, though, for the price (purchased at wholesale) it is hard to beat.

Transmission problem
By coho on 01/08/12 14:57 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

In the first 2k we experienced a thump almost all the time the vehicle was started in park. Dealer said it was a sticky valve and they replaced the transmission. The problem has started again. Dealer has not/cannot fix it. It never happens when a mechanic is in the vehicle. Hyundia Canada do not really admit to that there is a problem. Offered to leave the vehicle with dealer until they experience the thump. But no they could not do that. Other than this problem the vehicle seems fine. Am keeping a log of the thumps even though with a new vehicle you should not have to. Ammunition for when the warranty runs out.

Six Month Review: Overall Not Bad At All
By bobbichen on 12/21/11 09:41 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this as a preowned unit with about 22k on it, last June. Initially, I had transmission issues like most spoke of. I was advised that the upgraded fluid had been installed at build. I had to go through several rounds of software "flash" upgrades before the harsh shifting calmed down. It still is there a bit in 2nd and 3rd, but is much better. Overall, this is a terrible vehicle to buy new but for late model used, purchased at wholesale, it is actually quite good. If the tranny fails I have a five year warranty and I drive about 7.5k a year so I'm not worried about miles. Interior is quite good, stereo very decent, and leather seats are comfy. Gas milege mediocre.

Defective transmissions and poor ride
By dbqfan on 05/18/11 15:00 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had the transmission replaced twice in my 2010 Santa Fe. The new transmission has the same problems and Hyundai will not fix it. They have to "replicate" the problem which is there way of not fixing it. I have never had a car with this many problems in 50 years of buying cars. The dealer is just as bad as Hyundai. The vehicle has many squeaks and rattles which shows poor build quality. The GPS unit is useless in cold weather as you can not see the screen. This is the last non American car I will buy. Poor quality as the floor carpet is just cardboard covered with a poor quality fuzzy material.

Too good to be true?
By geni1 on 01/28/11 13:47 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I'm sad to report that I'm having the same transmission issues that others seem to be having and that is rough shifting (a definite "THUMP" into gear) from 1-2 when the engines cold. Has happened on rare occasions from 2-3 and 3-4. Shifting is fine when car is warm up. Just had transmission "reset" by dealer for 2nd time yesterday, but it thumped softly this morning. Bought the car in May & don't think this started until the weather turned cold at night in the fall.

A so-so vehicle
By TW on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had the vehicle almost a year now. I think it is an okay vehicle for the price you are paying, with good features, but there are some annoying deficiencies. On the plus side, the acceleration is very good, the handling is pretty good for an SUV, the interior is above average, and you get a long list of advance features. On the negative side, the ride is a little bit harsh. There are some fit and finish issues. The rear door needs to be slammed to close properly. The rear hatch area is not aligned perfectly. Occasionally there are some annoying squeaks and rattles from various parts of the car which speak to poor build quality. So far, I haven't any transmission problems.

2010 Santa Fe Limited 3 Mos NEW
By vigs on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The vehicle hesitates when I try to accelerate and sounds like slipping into gear Dealer Reset Computer 3 times. Also, Air Bag compartment is different color than dash board. Leather seat squeaks when moves. Very poor workmanship and quality highly disappointed. WOULD NOT RECOMEND ANYONE PURCHASE A SANTA FE OF ANY KIND. the dealerships just tells you thats the way it is and too bad. But I paid $30K for the vehicle and it's like a 20 yr old used car.

Fantastic Value for the Money
By Alex on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We've driven this car just over 6000 miles with 1 long trip and mostly daily commuting. The car is very solidly built. The limited V6 FWD loaded with all the options ran us just under 29K Out the Door. We found this to be a better value than every other car in it's class. The cabin is quiet on the highway. The seats are very comfortable for both my wife and I. There is plenty of storage (our previous car was an 07 Murano). We also like the cabin aesthetics. Very few vehicles in this class have fake wood grain on the dash and it's quite appealing. Overall the ride is nice, acceleration is great in the v6 and the cabin is quiet on the highway to go along with a great warranty.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe in VA is:

$124 per month*