2010 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Tranmission
By disgruntled27 on 07/08/14 05:37 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am into my 3rd transmission for a car that is 4 years old and 30,000 miles. Dealer cannot explain why my car keeps destroying the transmissions. But when engaging my car into gear there is a delay and then bangs into gear. I am totally disgusted and am getting rid of this car. I will never recommend this car to anyone.

Very Poor Customer and Dealer Service
By dougjim on 07/24/13 08:52 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Our vehicle is going on 4 yrs, with numerous recalls (and some others issues mentioned). But, the real problem is when you have to deal with a dealer. Our vehicle suddenly has paint bubbling up everywhere from a poor factory paint job. I've never seen a problem like this with any other vehicle we've owned. The dealer was very unhelpful (I'm sure ours isn't the only vehicle with this problem). He downright just didn't want to deal with us. When I emailed Hyundai and told them I was disappointed in their dealer attitude and build quality, their response was a legalistic you're out of warranty response. Never will buy another Hyundai after this.

A very solid vehicle
By cam36 on 05/26/13 21:39 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Mine is a Limited, FWD. Bought in June of 2010. Just turned 37,000 miles. Runs great. Nice power and handling. 20-22 mpg combined winter and summer--all right for v-6 w 276hp. Has been completely reliable thus far with absolutely no mechanical issues at all! The only complaints I have are the road noise at highway speeds and its sensitivity in acceleration from a standstill, it wants to jump right out there...not much room for finesse. If you need to floor it to pass or maneuver, it takes a noticeable lapse of time where it does nothing ( like a turbo hesitating before it kicks in) and then it snaps to and takes off. Aside from these things, it's been a great vehicle.

Waste of Money.. A LEMON!!
By buyalemon on 09/21/12 13:35 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My car has now been in the shop for 44 days and have not had a call from the dealership for a week. purchased the car from West End Hyundai in Edmonton On Oct 20, 2010 and have had nothing but problems since. drove the Coquahalla in severe weather conditions only to find there was no wrench to change the tires if we had a flat.. contacted the dealership but never got a reply.. then the troubles really started,the window would not go down, the truck would not open, car would not go into gear, no reverse, took the car to service centre for the 5th time. More tests.They said 1O Days to have part come from Korea BY BOAT! now 44 days later no car, no loaner, huge disappointment!!

No issues when driving in reverse
By wbito on 05/01/12 20:09 PM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Always loved the look of the the Santa Fe so when the time came to purchase a new car it was at the top of my list. The added bonus of a top safety rating and comfortable interior sealed the deal. Two years later, after intermittent shifting issues that "could not be replicated" by my dealer, I now have a beautiful car that only moves forward reliably when in neutral — attached to the back of tow truck. Hoping that it's current failure to move at all when in "drive" makes the situation a little easier for the dealership to figure out. Might be worth taking a peak at the transmission this time (?) So far, the only bright side is that I've never had any issues when driving in reverse ;)

Very Good with One Stinking Flaw
By 702south on 04/30/12 09:53 AM (PDT)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

A very good dependable vehicle with a couple issues. The ride is nice. Handling is very good. The 3.5 V6 has plenty of power and speed. Fuel mileage is good too. It doesn't feel or look cheap. I have been in comparable Lexus and it is just as nice. Why pay double the price just to drive a Lexus?? It is comfortable except it needs a little more leg room in the drivers area. I feel too close to the pedals. Other cons may be freeway noise at high speeds. The one major flaw is the odor from the A/C that many owners seem to have. Hyundai needs to step up and fix this.

Very Decent If Purchased Correctly
By bobbichen on 01/20/12 10:46 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a medium term follow up. I have owned this unit about 6 months with about 5k miles on it. Simply put, I went in with low expectations but it is growing on me. I had the issues with the transmission like many. Three trips to the dealer (flash upgrades and a fluid refill due to a dealer mistake) followed by disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds (computer reset) finally sorted it out. Now the vehicle drives smoothly with only an occasional missed shift. Mediocre MPG (about 16 to 18 city). All around, though, for the price (purchased at wholesale) it is hard to beat.

Transmission problem
By coho on 01/08/12 14:57 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

In the first 2k we experienced a thump almost all the time the vehicle was started in park. Dealer said it was a sticky valve and they replaced the transmission. The problem has started again. Dealer has not/cannot fix it. It never happens when a mechanic is in the vehicle. Hyundia Canada do not really admit to that there is a problem. Offered to leave the vehicle with dealer until they experience the thump. But no they could not do that. Other than this problem the vehicle seems fine. Am keeping a log of the thumps even though with a new vehicle you should not have to. Ammunition for when the warranty runs out.

Transmissions.. a re-occuring theme?
By zoeykids on 12/22/11 12:30 PM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

After repeatedly complaining about the jerking shift on our 2010 SF, the dealership finally replaced the transmission. The replacement was okay for a while, but it seemed as soon as the cooler weather hit, we started having a new problem. Now the vehicle seems to shift "down" when coasting in lower gears. Now the downshift is accentuated by "missing", causing the engine to red-line when attempting to overtake another vehicle attempting 15kpm speed increase. Waiting to hear ... again ... how Hyundai will be resolving this. The SF has 45K on it. Our previous vehicles had 250+km and 350+km on original drive trains. This is not what I was looking for in a new vehicle.

Six Month Review: Overall Not Bad At All
By bobbichen on 12/21/11 09:41 AM (PST)

2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased this as a preowned unit with about 22k on it, last June. Initially, I had transmission issues like most spoke of. I was advised that the upgraded fluid had been installed at build. I had to go through several rounds of software "flash" upgrades before the harsh shifting calmed down. It still is there a bit in 2nd and 3rd, but is much better. Overall, this is a terrible vehicle to buy new but for late model used, purchased at wholesale, it is actually quite good. If the tranny fails I have a five year warranty and I drive about 7.5k a year so I'm not worried about miles. Interior is quite good, stereo very decent, and leather seats are comfy. Gas milege mediocre.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe in VA is:

$112 per month*