Used 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Getting ready to buy another one.
By Larry Rubrich

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Best new car I ever owned!

Ran out of gas !!
By Joseph Xavier Martin

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Huyndai Santa Fe 2009 model has a faulty fuel indicator.Internet stories say 2007-2013 models share the problem also. How can you drive a car when you don't know if and when you will run out of gas? The USA Hundai and World Hyundai refuse to acknowledge the problem exists even though the internet is full of cases where the fuel gauge doesn't work. The fix is a $500 cost to the owner. Not fair. If a manufacturer won't guarantee that their product is reliable, customers would look elsewhere. We sure will when we buy our next car. Hyundai lists a corporate philosophy on their website. I didn't see anything there about throwing customers under the bus! Bad form !!

Not Happy with the 2009 Santa Fe.
By Keeley

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have been the owner of my 2009 Santa Fe all wheel drive 6 cylinder for approx. 3yrs and I bought it with 38,000 miles. I drive at least 85 miles per day.
First: the 09 Santa Fe drives terrible on the highway. It vibrates terribly and upon bring to dealer they said it was possibly tires or rotation was needed. (I put brand new tires on the vehicle at 45K and at 53k & rotate every year) this never fixed the vibration or the poor handling. Dealership told me I guess that's how it drives and there is nothing they can do.
Second: my 09 Santa Fe has a horrible sound system that you can't put up over 14 decibels without blowing a speaker. The volume goes well up to 50. All of the speakers have either blown or went out which I have replaced three times with factory speakers and again they are blown. I have a three year old in the car constant so it's not like I'm blaring rap music with the bass at 10+. Horribly annoying and expensive to fix and not covered.
Third & most disturbing: my 09 Santa Fe'a gas gauge malfunctioned at 61,000 miles. After filling my gas tank to a range full line I noticed I drove the car to just above a half tank. After turning car back on the gas gauge needle was buried at empty and gas light on. Very nervous immieditely went to get gas. Only took 18$ to fill. Strange which means it's not empty. Thought was a fluke. Drove to work used 1/4 of tank. Turns car back on after work. Read empty again. After filling the car yet again now using only 8$ I knew there was a issue. I brought to dealer they told me it is electrical. Fully serviced the vehicle through Hyundai. At the tune of $184.00. Two days later. Started again. After reading on forums this is a severe issue and souls have a recall. It's the tank sensor. Brought back to dealer. They told me to remove old sensors and put new ones it will cost roughly between 500-1000 dollars. It is not covered under warranty and there is no recall.
So much for 100K bumper to bumper warranty.
This is a severe issue that can cause death or harm. If you don't make sure to reset your miles and keep an eye on your mileage you can run out of gas. The car may even just shut down at high speeds.

I would not advise anyone to buy this suv I'm a former Jeep owner and as soon as I get the money to fix the gauge issue I will be selling ASAP and buying either a new jeep or Subaru. The gas mileage is terrible the car vibrates and you don't know if you have gas. Sounds like a death trap to me.
Hyundai is putting people at risk with the above issue and should recall the vehicle to fix for free. DO NOT BUY!! Any Sante fa prior to 2011. They all have the same issue

Paint Peels
By stewpop

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2009 Santa Fe based on consumer Reports ratings and the fact that we got
over 200,000 miles on the last Hyundai Sonata. We have over 90,000 miles on this one and it has been a good value except for 2 major points. One, the accelerator stuck in the idle position, which is the default instead of unintended acceleration. The other is the paint peeled off the hood and the roof right above the windshield. Even though it was only 2.5 years old, since it had 50,000 miles on it warranty did not cover it. $1600 paint job. The money we saved by buying Hyundai we really did not save. You get what you pay for...

If it only had a more comfortable ride...
By steelydan

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This review applies only to the SE and Limted trims with the 18" wheels........NOT THE GLS trim with 16" wheels......BIG DIFFERENCE.

My wife drives the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, good thing, because I would have traded in this rough riding bronco by now......

The engine is sweet, brakes good, interior is well thought out, exterior is good.

The biggest and , unfortunately, most notable con is the HARSH ride over the many bumps and potholes on our crappy streets here in West Houston.

The 18" wheels are a performance choice for the Santa Fe, as they are the wheels for the SE and Limited trims, not the base GLS trim.

It is unfortunate that the BASE model Santa Fe is a more comfortable ride !!!

Sweet, smooth engine ! Very reliable Nice dashboard and controls good visibility Nice exterior look

RIDE ! My 2011 Nissan Frontier PICKUP TRUCK with (surprise) 16" wheels HAS A FAR BETTER RIDE than the 18" wheel 2009 Santa Fe I find it a little hard to accelerate smoothly from a stop with my wife's Santa Fe, it sort of "jumps" as even light throttle is applied, smoothing out as speed builds.