Used 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Paint Peels
By stewpop

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2009 Santa Fe based on consumer Reports ratings and the fact that we got over 200,000 miles on the last Hyundai Sonata. We have over 90,000 miles on this one and it has been a good value except for 2 major points. One, the accelerator stuck in the idle position, which is the default instead of unintended acceleration. The other is the paint peeled off the hood and the roof right above the windshield. Even though it was only 2.5 years old, since it had 50,000 miles on it warranty did not cover it. $1600 paint job. The money we saved by buying Hyundai we really did not save. You get what you pay for...

If it only had a more comfortable ride...
By steelydan

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This review applies only to the SE and Limted trims with the 18" wheels........NOT THE GLS trim with 16" wheels......BIG DIFFERENCE. My wife drives the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, good thing, because I would have traded in this rough riding bronco by now...... The engine is sweet, brakes good, interior is well thought out, exterior is good. The biggest and , unfortunately, most notable con is the HARSH ride over the many bumps and potholes on our crappy streets here in West Houston. The 18" wheels are a performance choice for the Santa Fe, as they are the wheels for the SE and Limited trims, not the base GLS trim. It is unfortunate that the BASE model Santa Fe is a more comfortable ride !!!

Sweet, smooth engine ! Very reliable Nice dashboard and controls good visibility Nice exterior look

RIDE ! My 2011 Nissan Frontier PICKUP TRUCK with (surprise) 16" wheels HAS A FAR BETTER RIDE than the 18" wheel 2009 Santa Fe I find it a little hard to accelerate smoothly from a stop with my wife's Santa Fe, it sort of "jumps" as even light throttle is applied, smoothing out as speed builds.

Great Value for an SUV
By jerseyan

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 2009 GLS 2.7L AWD. I went from a 4wd Silverado to the SUV with no regrets. My major construction days are done, and driving around paying a fortune for fuel with an empty truck bed 94% of the time seemed like a good reason to let it go. I wanted a new vehicle, without breaking the bank. I opted for the GLS vs. the upscale version not because of affordability, but it had all I needed, why pay more for the more expensive model? It came with the hands free Bluetooth and I added a trailer hitch for those occasional trips to the home centers. The roof racks and crossbars came with the vehicle, but if I had to purchase them, how often do you travel with items on the roof? The 3.3L engine to me wasnít worth the added cost. The 2.7L has more than enough power, and with the AWD and autoshift, it is excellent in the snow. I have averaged on the highway anywhere from 18 to almost 24mpg. For a vehicle this size I feel it is pretty good. The newer models claim to get 28. Some reviews have said the cabin noise is loud with the windows down. I think most cars at 70mph with the windows down have a lot of cabin noise. Adding air deflectors / vent visors around the windows helps keep the air noise to a minimum when the windows are open. Financing all those add on items over time adds up. When you buy a vehicle you are paying a ton in interest for the mud flaps, fog lights, cargo cover, etc. being somewhat handy, I buy the aftermarket items as I can afford them, or get them on e-bay at a reduced price. As far as resale, after five years itís a moot point after that, and if you plan on keeping a vehicle 7 to 10 years, who really cares about resale? At 26,000 miles, I have had no major problems, and have not been back to the dealer for any repairs. Changing the oil, filters, rotating tires at regular intervals for any vehicle, along with regular maintenance is key to longevity of any vehicle. If youíre looking for more power, heavy towing, or going from 0 to 60 in 30 seconds, this isnít the vehicle for you. The Santa Fe is a great all around vehicle, quiet, comfortable, elegant and has plenty of storage, with the seats down it is more than adequate. It handles bad weather like a walk in the park. Hyundai is underrated, and is a very versatile all-around vehicle. This SUV is very capable of handling rough, gravel, dirt, muddy and off the beaten path roads. It will hold your camping gear, skiís, golf clubs, kids, soccer gear, and is able to tow your ski doodles, motorcycles or trailerable items such as moving furniture for your kids. If you are looking to cross over 12Ē streams, boulders, tow a 40 foot Chris Craft, and drive across the Appalachian Trail, go purchase a Jeep or adequately equipped pickup. Or if you want to be gone in 60 seconds the minute the light changes green why are you looking at a Santa Fe?

Driver right side armrest, valet key for parking.

NOT RECOMMENDED
By disappointed53

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had 2 santa fe's, a 2007 and a 2009, both 2.7 v6 engines. the 2007 had numerous engine problems including breaking down on me 300 miles from home on a vacation trip; traded it in for an '09 and a year and a half later it developed a tapping sound in the engine and trying to get it serviced is like pulling teeth. this "rep" has to approve all engine replacement jobs but he apparently can check in whenever he feels like it. after numerous tries to get it fixed, including calling corporate office, my frustration made me trade it in for another brand..it is not worth the aggrevation.I will never buy a hyundai again...buyer beware!!!!!!

BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE AND FOLLOW UP ON A COMPLAINT

Decent Crossover but lots of issues so far
By davnator

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the 2009 GLS for 2 years now so I have a good history of issues and values for the car. The good is that it offers a lot for the price of the vehicle. Three of the four main issues with it have been covered under warranty. The ride for the GLS model is exceptionally smooth and handles city bumps without issue. I live in the north and it handles snow and drifts without issue (but is not good on ice). Issue one, the ignition system failed and the ignition in the steering column had to be replaced. Issue two, a sensor that acccelerates the car when you step on the gas failed. Issue three, the link stabilizer failed. Issue four, rust on the back hatch - Hyundai wont fix it

The ride is exceptional in the GLS, cruise control and stereo controls on the steering wheel, 60/40 rear seat, heated seats, storage capacity

Metal quality - rust has been an issue with Hyundai for a long time - it will make the company a "might have been" more quickly than any other issue. Quality control in general - I have 4 issues in 2 years of ownership - 3 covered, 1 not. I am getting very concerned about the chances of the car actually lasting beyond the 5 years that it is under warranty.