2009 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Paint Peels
By stewpop on 08/04/14 08:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this 2009 Santa Fe based on consumer Reports ratings and the fact that we got over 200,000 miles on the last Hyundai Sonata. We have over 90,000 miles on this one and it has been a good value except for 2 major points. One, the accelerator stuck in the idle position, which is the default instead of unintended acceleration. The other is the paint peeled off the hood and the roof right above the windshield. Even though it was only 2.5 years old, since it had 50,000 miles on it warranty did not cover it. $1600 paint job. The money we saved by buying Hyundai we really did not save. You get what you pay for...

If it only had a more comfortable ride...
By steelydan on 02/03/13 18:18 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This review applies only to the SE and Limted trims with the 18" wheels........NOT THE GLS trim with 16" wheels......BIG DIFFERENCE. My wife drives the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe, good thing, because I would have traded in this rough riding bronco by now...... The engine is sweet, brakes good, interior is well thought out, exterior is good. The biggest and , unfortunately, most notable con is the HARSH ride over the many bumps and potholes on our crappy streets here in West Houston. The 18" wheels are a performance choice for the Santa Fe, as they are the wheels for the SE and Limited trims, not the base GLS trim. It is unfortunate that the BASE model Santa Fe is a more comfortable ride !!!

Great Value for an SUV
By jerseyan on 01/07/12 06:30 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 2009 GLS 2.7L AWD. I went from a 4wd Silverado to the SUV with no regrets. My major construction days are done, and driving around paying a fortune for fuel with an empty truck bed 94% of the time seemed like a good reason to let it go. I wanted a new vehicle, without breaking the bank. I opted for the GLS vs. the upscale version not because of affordability, but it had all I needed, why pay more for the more expensive model? It came with the hands free Bluetooth and I added a trailer hitch for those occasional trips to the home centers. The roof racks and crossbars came with the vehicle, but if I had to purchase them, how often do you travel with items on the roof? The 3.3L engine to me wasn’t worth the added cost. The 2.7L has more than enough power, and with the AWD and autoshift, it is excellent in the snow. I have averaged on the highway anywhere from 18 to almost 24mpg. For a vehicle this size I feel it is pretty good. The newer models claim to get 28. Some reviews have said the cabin noise is loud with the windows down. I think most cars at 70mph with the windows down have a lot of cabin noise. Adding air deflectors / vent visors around the windows helps keep the air noise to a minimum when the windows are open. Financing all those add on items over time adds up. When you buy a vehicle you are paying a ton in interest for the mud flaps, fog lights, cargo cover, etc. being somewhat handy, I buy the aftermarket items as I can afford them, or get them on e-bay at a reduced price. As far as resale, after five years it’s a moot point after that, and if you plan on keeping a vehicle 7 to 10 years, who really cares about resale? At 26,000 miles, I have had no major problems, and have not been back to the dealer for any repairs. Changing the oil, filters, rotating tires at regular intervals for any vehicle, along with regular maintenance is key to longevity of any vehicle. If you’re looking for more power, heavy towing, or going from 0 to 60 in 30 seconds, this isn’t the vehicle for you. The Santa Fe is a great all around vehicle, quiet, comfortable, elegant and has plenty of storage, with the seats down it is more than adequate. It handles bad weather like a walk in the park. Hyundai is underrated, and is a very versatile all-around vehicle. This SUV is very capable of handling rough, gravel, dirt, muddy and off the beaten path roads. It will hold your camping gear, ski’s, golf clubs, kids, soccer gear, and is able to tow your ski doodles, motorcycles or trailerable items such as moving furniture for your kids. If you are looking to cross over 12” streams, boulders, tow a 40 foot Chris Craft, and drive across the Appalachian Trail, go purchase a Jeep or adequately equipped pickup. Or if you want to be gone in 60 seconds the minute the light changes green why are you looking at a Santa Fe?

NOT RECOMMENDED
By disappointed53 on 12/18/11 12:01 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've had 2 santa fe's, a 2007 and a 2009, both 2.7 v6 engines. the 2007 had numerous engine problems including breaking down on me 300 miles from home on a vacation trip; traded it in for an '09 and a year and a half later it developed a tapping sound in the engine and trying to get it serviced is like pulling teeth. this "rep" has to approve all engine replacement jobs but he apparently can check in whenever he feels like it. after numerous tries to get it fixed, including calling corporate office, my frustration made me trade it in for another brand..it is not worth the aggrevation.I will never buy a hyundai again...buyer beware!!!!!!

Decent Crossover but lots of issues so far
By davnator on 06/29/11 08:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the 2009 GLS for 2 years now so I have a good history of issues and values for the car. The good is that it offers a lot for the price of the vehicle. Three of the four main issues with it have been covered under warranty. The ride for the GLS model is exceptionally smooth and handles city bumps without issue. I live in the north and it handles snow and drifts without issue (but is not good on ice). Issue one, the ignition system failed and the ignition in the steering column had to be replaced. Issue two, a sensor that acccelerates the car when you step on the gas failed. Issue three, the link stabilizer failed. Issue four, rust on the back hatch - Hyundai wont fix it

Hyundai Rocks!
By Big Willie on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased for my wife,and she loves it.The ride is good, dependable, roomy and the interior and exterior design is good.I highly recommend this vehicle to my family and friends.We first looked at the Toyota Highlander.The price we would have paid for it compared to what we paid for the Sante Fe is probably 5k more.

New Car conks out
By Smiths on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

2009 Sante Fe conked out at the exit ramp. It was a bit dangerous since the ramp had a blind curve. I stopped at the light at the end of the ramp, when it turned green and depressed gas pedal, the car just died. During this time I tried starting it off and on, no luck. After 45 min tow truck came, then I tried to start again and started right up. I've traded it in, I couldn't trust it anymore. I do travel a lot, and alone sometimes, so I don't want to be on the side of the road broke down. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it. If it weren't for that one breakdown incident, I loved the vehicle. Too paranoid it would break down again. limited back view

Brakes and caliber maintance
By gf on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I can't believe I have to have the Calibers /brakes cleaned and lubricated every 12,000 miles or the brakes "burn up and Lock up" this is what the dealers said and it did happen to a friend of mine! Why aren't customers told this before we buy? reliability? poor

Love my Santa Fe
By riceman on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Santa Fe and I love it even more than my first one. I put 100,000 miles on the first one with virtually no mechanical problems. I have owned this Limited for almost a year and had the first & only problem this month, an idler arm pulley. The warranty covered it with no down time. This is a great vehicle and when I trade again, I'll look for another.

Another Santa Fe
By Mike on 08/28/10 08:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

After test drive i realized how better it was than my 06 other than engine it was completely redesigned. I loved the 06 never any problems in almost 4 years so i traded it for the 09 leftover and have not been disappointed. Fun to drive and it looks like the more expensive SUVs in its class.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe in VA is:

$113 per month*