2008 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
So far so good
By starsky on 09/08/09 15:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The car has a little over 10000 miles on it since bought new in january. The wife gets 22.5 MPG mixed city and highway driving. I get around 26 MPG driving it highway to work. A recent leak in the power steering is being addressed by the dealer. The rack is being replaced and the dealer provided a loaner car over the Labor day Holiday. We have been treated very well by everyone since the car purchase.

Leaks
By anne on 09/04/09 18:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe with 5500 miles on it for 18,900 and then it rained saturating the rugs on the driver's side with water. Two days later it was back at the dealership. They put it through the car wash and said the leak was coming from the door and that it would be ready in two days. They then called and said they were going to keep it two weeks. I took it back home waxed it and kept it in the garage. Last Saturday it poured, I had left it outside and again the rugs were saturated with water. Resealing of the windshield didn't work. This experience has soured me on Hyundais although I really liked the feel and large cargo area. Carmax took the vehicle back.

Where is that buzzing noise coming from?
By Brian K on 09/02/09 00:28 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a SAAB 9-3 for my Santa Fe, and I couldn't be happier. It is very comfortable for long trips, and I average around 24 mpg on the highway. I have been getting around 19-20 in city driving. My only complaint is a buzzing noise from the rear whenever the engine hits 2100 rpm. I am sure it will be taken care of when I have my next service. This is my fifth Hyundai, and it is by far the best. I'm looking forward to buying a Genesis when my Santa Fe is paid off!

Rare Problem
By Cruzian on 08/23/09 21:51 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Comfortable to drive, and build quality seems decent overall. So far 48 days in the shop with a head gasket leak. Actually, the factory FORGOT TO INSTALL THE REAR HEAD GASKET so it was a compression leak, but a tiny leak only when hot. I wish the dealer had pulled the heads first instead of trying everything else first. We'll see how well it does with a properly assembled engine.

Happy with my Hyundai
By Steve C on 08/10/09 19:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I got a great deal on a year old Santa Fe with 14K miles, and very glad I bought it. The ride is very quiet and comfortable, and there's ample room for 4-5 people. It handles well and the 3.3 liter V-6 gives it plenty of power. I get ~24 mpg highway, and overall average 22 mpg, with about 70% highway driving. My '02 Subaru Outback averaged about 23 mpg, and considering the Santa Fe is larger, roomier and much more powerful, I'm happy with the mileage. The interior of the Hyundai feels fairly upscale, and it is SO much quieter than my Subie ever was. Considering the size, it has a remarkably tight turning circle. The Santa Fe is a great choice if you're looking for a mid-size crossover SUV!

Best Car I Ever Had in 28 Years Driving
By satisfied on 07/27/09 14:47 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've been driving for 28 years and this is the best car I ever owned. It seats 4 comfortably and I can haul a lot of stuff when I put the seats down. Fuel mileage is excellent for a car with this much storage. After reading about terrible problems in the automatic gear shift from 1st to 2nd, I made sure to check this out repeatedly during the test drive. 10 months later, I have zero problems with that or anything else. I got all the upgrades except for the navigation system and the roof rack. I'm thinking of getting one for my wife and get the $3,500 gov't "CARS" plan since the MPG difference qualifies. Unless you get a rare lemon, this is really a great crossover.

First Hyundai Experience
By Tiana on 07/13/09 23:43 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My first time riding in the Santa Fe was actually in a rental.. I'd never looked at Hyundai before but my experience was so nice I ended up purchasing one. It offers an extremely smooth ride, really comfortable, fun and peppy drive, and the console is very stylish!

Great vehicle for the money!
By peoples1234 on 07/11/09 21:23 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Having put almost 7000 miles on the Santa Fe in 4 months, I have to say that I am very satisfied. Overall a great vehicle. It is comfortable, spacious, and tows anything I can put in a 4x8 utility trailer. Gas mileage has been about 18 mpg with mostly suburban driving, but I leave it idling a lot for my daughter in the summer. Highway is about 22, but would be a lot better if I could keep it below 80. My wife frequently gets 24-26 on the interstate when she drives. Power is adequate, but not breathtaking. Overall the best value in the 20K SUV price range.

BEST VEHICLE EVER!!!
By Love my Santa Fe on 07/02/09 20:17 PM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is our 11th time buying a new vehicle and the first time buying a foreign vehicle. The Santa Fe is our favorite vehicle ever. It is fun to drive and very easy to handle. Even though we live in snowy Minnesota, we opted for the FWD and have had no regrets. The FWD handled beautifully in the snow and ice last winter. This vehicle cannot be beat in terms of quality, safety, warranty, price value, and cost to insure. An added bonus is the great dealership where we purchased it - St. Cloud Hyundai. We'll be back there the next time we need to buy a vehicle.

So far, so good.
By Ed Rea on 06/21/09 09:06 AM (PDT)

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this SUV after driving an Infinity G-35x and missing the roominess from my previous SUV. Also, Hyundai was recommended by other friends who have one. Only issue so far is pulling to left. After two alignments, seems to be okay. Although steering is pretty sensitive. Like all the features, styling, performance (little sluggish in shifting between 1st & 2nd gear) so far, after 2000 miles. CD player is only 1 CD capacity?? If reliability holds up, seems like a very good vehicle for the price.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe in VA is:

$101 per month*