Used 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Hyundai Santa-fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Not recommended
By JMJ

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Very disappointed in this car. I loved driving it in the beginning, but I've had to bring it in for service at least 5+ times since buying it for "check engine" light coming on. Car has also died on me twice. These issues should not be happening when a car is brand new. Dealership always tells me they can't find anything wrong with it. Even told them that I don't feel safe driving the car, and all they could respond with was "Well, you have roadside assistance available." (Not exactly the most comforting thing to hear). The dealership is now wanting to buy the car back due to their shortage of 2008 pre-owned Santa Fe vehicles. I am MORE than willing to sell it back to them!!

hyundia sante fe,new york
By harley

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car/truck in nov 09 since the I've drove 20k miles. I really like the overall drive and layout of the Santa Fe. The seats are a little stiff and if you drive with the rear Windows partially down they howl and vibrate a lot. The 08 don't have the ipod connection that I miss. I've had a clunk in the front end going over bumps. I took it to dealer and was told it was a bushing problem. The didn't seem to have a fix for it. While annoying its not so much that I wouldn't buy another on but hope they fix the problem. Fuel mileage adv 22.5 mpg for me.

Favorite Features

like controls on steering wheel and fog lights

Suggested Improvements

seats need to be more comfy with arm rests. better fuel mileage and lower maintenance costs would greatly help.

Comfortable Vehicle, Underpowered 2.7 V6
By skoob38

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Have had vehicle for almost a year and have 13,500 miles on it. I get compliments on the vehicles look and comfort from almost everyone who rides in it. Very quiet vehicle on the road. Love the blue lights at night. Only issue so far was buzzing noise underneath, which turned out to be a heat shield near the muffler. Happened again a few months later. I just got under the vehicle and bent the shield away from the muffler, which fixed the issue. Not sure how it happened again! Maybe snow underneath pushing on it? Biggest complaint is the power of the 2.7 V6. I should have got the larger engine. Feels pushed every time I drive it. I avg. only 17MPG. Not good. Never get 23 on HWY.

Favorite Features

Comfort. XM radio. Heated Seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG. 2.7 V6 underpowered.(I see they got rid of it and went with a 4 cyl for 2011) 2008 didn't have AUX jack or USB port.

Concerns about warranty
By ML

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We have put 24K on this car. Bought for wife, she hates it, and chooses to drive our 04 accord 100K+miles. The interior scratches easily and there are alot of rattles. The suspension is noisy and a little soft. Other than that it is powerful, comfortable, attractive, and at a great price. The interior is really the place of my frustration in terms of rattles (fixed one, but there are many), feedback noise issue (told me it's normal) and seat pocket tears (haven't heard back from dealer yet, it's been weeks) I am concerned that, regardless of the problem, the dealer will passively resist my concerns. And so, with less than 2 years and 24K I am considering trading.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, engine smoothness and power. Comfortable highway roadtrip car. Safety features are great. Goes good in snow, great features for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Focus on interior quality and suspension improvements. I get the feeling dealers are put in a bad spot by corporate hyundai. Stand behind your warranty, or don't offer it. Fix issues. I have been covered better by other manufacturers with an EXPIRED warranty.

2008 Limited FWD 25k mile update
By Brandon

2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 4dr SUV (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

So far I have nothing but praise for this car. It's my wife's daily driver, and with 80% city she averages 20-21 mpg. I do my own service and run synthetic oil which helps a little. Have averaged 27 mpg on a trip, but mpg drops off above 75 mph to around 23 or so. The oem tires (bridgestone dueler h/l) lasting surprisingly well with pressure checks and rotation, expecting to get 35k-40k on the set. No problems, and knock on wood, not even a single trip to the dealership. It still drives and sounds just like it did on the way home from the dealership. 3rd row seat is tolerable for an adult for a short trip, but you wouldn't want to stick your grandmother back there. Great car!

Favorite Features

Comfortable leather, tight turning radius, good mpg for a mid sized suv, smooth and quiet ride, easy to service with canister oil filter on top, tire pressure monitoring system on limited model resets automatically after rotation. Good power from the 3.3

Suggested Improvements

HID headlights from the factory, passenger side power seat option