Used 2006 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Great Reliable SUV
By nyl777

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Driven 100000 plus miles on it already and planning to drive another 100000 on it for another 5 years. It drives good in Michigan road in winter on a virgin snow of up to 4 inches.

Favorite Features

I like the sexy masculine look of it.

Suggested Improvements

I hope they can improve the MPG to 30 plus mpg. My average mpg is 20mpg combined hwy/city driving.

Reliability with a CAPITAL 'R'
By Gaurav

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Believe it or not, in 4 years I have put 160,000 on this vehicle and it's rock solid. No issues whatsoever. No power loss, nothing. All I've done is regular oil changes (synthetic) and the up-scale filters. I have changed the front rotors once. This vehicle is just a dream and should be considered by all who are in for a reliable used. Forget the Japanese, they are just too much money for nothing. They don't even look good. I guess people are noting that in a hurry now. The Santa Fe is already the largest selling import SUV in Canada. Good job Hyundai. My next vehicle would also be a Hyundai. The Veracruz or if they come up with a larger SUV then that'd be it.

Favorite Features

Lot of goodies for less. Window hatch. Full size spare tires. Aluminum rims. Great AC.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage needs improvement. Outside temperature gauge and Aux input for iPOD.

Transmission
By SHERI LOTHRIDGE

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the Santa Fe in 2006, within a couple of months I was in having the Cruise control switch replaced and a year later I started having problems with the down shifting to 3rd. They changed out a sensor. In the winter of 09 it didn't want to go into drive when cold brought it in. Couldn't duplicate so there was "nothing wrong". Still having problem. On 4/29/10 the shifting problems started again, so I brought the car back into the shop to have them say "nothing wrong" so they reset the computer. So I picked up my car and two days later I was stuck in the parking lot not able to go anywhere. Lets say it is in the shop waiting approval for new transmission!

Favorite Features

I love the turning radius on the vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Bigger lumbar power seat fix the transmision issues

Can't get rid of it....
By B

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my first HY back in July of 2009. For $12K I got 2006 HY SF GLS 2.7 V6 2WD with 25K miles. Since then I have put 10K miles on it. This car has so far exceeded my expectations. As a guy, I have never fallen in love with exterior of the old style SF, but my wife did and since the car was mainly for her I relented. Gas Mileage is better than the Tahoe and even my current 2003 V6 Ford F150. To be honest, I tried very much to rationally to find a valid reason to upgrade to a newer vehicle with all the recent deals, but for what we paid for and how surprisingly functional it has been and how much the wife likes it, I canít justify letting it go. I have grown to respect it.

Favorite Features

Rear Seat and cargo area size, rear windshield hatch, standard alloys and standard alloy spare.

Suggested Improvements

A little bit more driver leg room and driver seat space as we tend to be the biggest person in the car. Arm rests.

Best of the best
By Ralph

2006 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We switched from Ford in 2002 and bought our first Santa Fe. Since then we have owned three and have loved every one. Only expenses have been regular maintenance and tires. Warranty has never been a problem with our dealer and all work has been done in a timely manner. I have also owned an Accent and now have an Elantra and would recommend any of them. Fuel economy on the Santa fe is 24 to 27 on the road at freeway speeds. We have 67000 miles on it and never had any problems.

Favorite Features

Driving comfort is great,AWD is fantastic in Wyoming winters.

Suggested Improvements

redesign center console cup holders