Good car, bad gas mileage!
By Janos on
2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)
I bought my Santa Fe back in October 2008 - my wife wanted us to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle in case of bad weather. I expected the mileage to go down some from the sedan I had but figured with with conservative driving, I'd at least get in the low to mid 20's. Definitely NOT the case! I'm averaging closer to 16 to 18 miles to the gallon even with mostly highway driving at 70. It runs smoothly and is very comfortable to drive but every time I fill the tank, I cringe. Snow / slick road handling is so-so. My wife's Mazda 6 actually handles a lot better in snow & ice which kind of defeats the purpose of getting the four wheel drive Santa Fe! I will probably end up going back to a sedan.
Favorite Features
Very comfortable inside, runs and drives very smoothly, good visibility. Gauges and controls are easy to see, controls are easy to find and get to. Even though it's a bigger vehicle, it's easy to maneuver & get in tight spots. Nice stereo system.
Suggested Improvements
If you go from a sedan to this car, figure on doubling your fuel costs. Breaks are ok but not great. Same goes for handling, and honestly the handling in slick conditions is a bit scary.