Used 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Santa-fe - Consumer Reviews

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Good car, bad gas mileage!
By Janos

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Santa Fe back in October 2008 - my wife wanted us to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle in case of bad weather. I expected the mileage to go down some from the sedan I had but figured with with conservative driving, I'd at least get in the low to mid 20's. Definitely NOT the case! I'm averaging closer to 16 to 18 miles to the gallon even with mostly highway driving at 70. It runs smoothly and is very comfortable to drive but every time I fill the tank, I cringe. Snow / slick road handling is so-so. My wife's Mazda 6 actually handles a lot better in snow & ice which kind of defeats the purpose of getting the four wheel drive Santa Fe! I will probably end up going back to a sedan.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable inside, runs and drives very smoothly, good visibility. Gauges and controls are easy to see, controls are easy to find and get to. Even though it's a bigger vehicle, it's easy to maneuver & get in tight spots. Nice stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

If you go from a sedan to this car, figure on doubling your fuel costs. Breaks are ok but not great. Same goes for handling, and honestly the handling in slick conditions is a bit scary.

problems with throttle sensor
By liza

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had the car for approx 3 years now. At about the 42,000 mile mark the car developed a problem. While driving the car the rpm suddenly started revving up and dropping back down. The car lunges forward on it's own, then jerks backward. It lunges back and forth as you drive. Wasn't able to make it home. Had the car towed. Dealer said it was the throttle sensor. Fixed it. The car worked for 3 months then developed the same problem. Had it towed again. Same problem. This happened again 3 months later. I'm actually starting to fear driving this car. If I'm on the highway when this happens I could get killed. I'm considering getting rid of the car and getting something else.

Favorite Features

cd changer. garage opener

Suggested Improvements

fix what the problem is with the acceleration (throttle sensor)

Comfortable & practical, but gas hungry
By jpc477

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Up until buying my Santa Fe I had always driven the smaller cars (Honda Civic, Mazda Protege). It's a good vehicle & very comfortable inside, but I might end up selling it & going back to a sedan. I expected my gas mileage to go down with it being an SUV, but still thought I'd at least average in the low to mid 20's with it being a 6 cylinder and not an 8 & not being that big. However I'm averaging 17 to 20 miles to the gallon and that's even with driving very conservatively. The ride is smooth but I find myself being afraid of any sudden moves. Overall it's not a bad vehicle but be ready to pay more at the pump if you get one.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, smooth ride, not huge on the outside, but plenty of room on the inside. Stereo, controls, etc, are easy to read & get to, not a bad stereo system for being factory!

Suggested Improvements

I understand it's an SUV but the gas mileage is still disappointing. Even with conservative driving, I'm averaging 17-20 miles to the gallon and the majority of my driving is interstate. With acceleration if you stomp it, it seems to think about it at first, then launch forward.

We made a good purchase
By Dick in AZ

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Santa Fe about a month before making a 2000 mile trip back to Ohio. It was three years old when we bought it and had 32,000 miles. After driving it 6,000+ miles so far, I have to say it is the most comfortable vehicle I think I have driven to date (I'm 63, 5'7" 150#). The display for the air conditioning/heating is rather hard to see while driving, but functions well. We get about 16-18 around town, and the first time I checked it on our trip, we got 27mpg @ 75mph with the air on! I like the way it handles but it is a wee bit top heavy, but it has never been a problem. The only negative comment I have is the gas pedal; it seems sluggish, then suddenly leaps forward.

Favorite Features

All around we find it a pleasure to own. Fun to drive with lots of room for the two of us, our dog, and lots of room for cargo.

Suggested Improvements

I wish they would make the climate control display easier to see, and I hope in the newer models they have addressed the issue with the gas pedal - it really takes some getting used to.

Bad gas mileage
By Winter

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My driving experience is the SUV handles fine, the check engine light has been on since two weeks after purchase have never had time to take it in. Not a vehicle for commute the gas mileage sucks for this I go through over $100 a week in gas. It handles well in snow though I bought it for that very reason and I am thankful that works well.

Favorite Features

Easy switch to gears. Roomy, rides ok.

Suggested Improvements

The sunglass holder is lousy cardboard holding the springs. The seats are not comfortable they're hard. Need a hybrid gas mileage bad.