Used 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
2005 Overview
By B Thomma on 04/03/07 05:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car has been reliable and meets my needs. The only problem has been the check engine has continually been going on. This has caused me to return to the dealer to have it corrected. The problem in every instance is in the gas cap overfill. The dealership has always fixed the problem and given a loaner car when needed. Another problem was with the radio. The AM reception was no good. This was their top of the line radio. They replaced it with a less expensive radio and the problem was corrected.

I love this SUV!
By ica1972 on 03/27/07 09:19 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This has been a fantastic vehicle for a commuter driving 90+ miles five days a week. The fuel economy isn't all that great, but I feel safe and I love the ride. I drive over quite a few mountains and steep hills, it handles perfectly in all kinds of precipitation including 10" of snow covered ice. Fan tends to blow in your face or off parts of the vehicle back into your face.

Not trouble free
By JML on 03/15/07 01:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Like the ride and performance. Fuel economy very dissapointing, Does not come close the the epa ratings. Have had transmission replaced. Cruise and speedometer malfuntion. Dealer was not effecient in handling the claim. Did not seem to have experience in diagnosis and repair. contantly have to fight to get fair service. For a new car it is not trouble free. It is a good thing they have 100k warranty as I may need it.

Nice appearance for a piece of junk
By mikeb on 02/22/07 17:32 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the most expensive Hyundai I had higher expectations due to false advertising. Lower gas mileage than advertised I get 16 miles a gallon highway. Dealership says it's the additives in the gas that only affects Santa Fe B.S. High cost for maintenance and the car runs worse with every service they do. The transfer case was just replaced and it's still making grinding noises and the gear shift needed to be replaced as well, frozen wipers won't move even my small economy car had good wipers. I could go on but there may not be enough space here...very dissatisfied. I wish I could get my money back!

2005 Hyndai
By CIao on 02/06/07 06:08 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am ver happy with my mid size suv except for the stereo system and the gas limeage. I am getting 18 miles/gallon at the best. The stereo system in not very clear.

Great until you break
By thrddgreeburns on 12/03/06 03:32 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Santa Fe is a woderful vehicle until you want to break; mainly when it's raining, snowing or you're going down a hill. It keeps on going when you want to stop. I'm surprised I haven't gotten into an accident yet (knock on wood). When I told the mechanic at Sussman, he said that it was a safety feature and I shouldn't worry about it. How can I not worry about potentially running into another car is beyond me. Other than that, the SUV rides really well. I was skeptical because of their rep. in the past but they've made a believer out of me. Hyundai is a good vehicle that's great on gas. Thanks for listening.

2005 Santa Fe Rocks!
By ica on 11/26/06 14:11 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Love the truck, hate the gas miledge! I'm driving 450 miles/week to work on mountainous roads and through mid-size cities. Even using the cruise and a K$N filter, getting 18-20MPG.

hyundai review frwn
By wm nundahl on 11/07/06 11:01 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

the vehicle is nice to drive , but the service and warranty mean nothing. i have had problems with there home office, the dealer itself and the way the handle their customers, if there is any warranty work to get done , seems they have to get hold of there service rep. and then you don't kmow when your going to here from them, you can complain all you want and bring warranty issues to thier attention and you might as well have been talking to the wall. i have had issues that have been on going and were resolved 6 mos. later-- do you call this customer service i don't. seems they are more concerned with thier bottom line, and they only seem to do whats nesc.

I love my Hyundai
By Kim on 09/15/06 12:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Hyundai Santa Fe, we test drove lots of cars, but for the price and being a 4WD vehicle it fit our budget great. It is probably average on fuel, because before this I drove a Ford Explorer and it was awful (but I loved that truck also). It does have downfalls though, first the turn radius on the Santa Fe in no way compares with the Ford. Also we found out the hard way that you do not have to push in the little button on the gear shift to shift. I was driving 75 down the highway, when my daughter twisted around to get something from the back, and all of a sudden it was driving weird. I looked at the guage and it was in neutral. Scary! So just be careful. Good Luck.

santa fe vs. endeavor
By cindy on 08/25/06 21:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I recently traded in my 2004 mitsubishi endeavor on a 2005 hyundai santa fe.I drove the santa fe home after I purchased it in the dark. The next day I was cleaning the windows on my new pre-owned santa fe and found chips in the windshield and hard water spots on all of the windows and mirrors that I could not remove even with a special hard water cleaner.In addition,the windshield looked as if it had been sand blasted when in the sunlight.The dealership tried to clean the windows and mirrors unsuccessfully and has only offered to "fill" the two chips in the windshield,not replace it.Never drive a pre-owned vehicle home in the dark!Seems to be poorly made glass!Look very closely!