2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
problems with throttle sensor
By liza on 12/15/08 11:35 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had the car for approx 3 years now. At about the 42,000 mile mark the car developed a problem. While driving the car the rpm suddenly started revving up and dropping back down. The car lunges forward on it's own, then jerks backward. It lunges back and forth as you drive. Wasn't able to make it home. Had the car towed. Dealer said it was the throttle sensor. Fixed it. The car worked for 3 months then developed the same problem. Had it towed again. Same problem. This happened again 3 months later. I'm actually starting to fear driving this car. If I'm on the highway when this happens I could get killed. I'm considering getting rid of the car and getting something else.

Comfortable & practical, but gas hungry
By jpc477 on 11/12/08 21:59 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Up until buying my Santa Fe I had always driven the smaller cars (Honda Civic, Mazda Protege). It's a good vehicle & very comfortable inside, but I might end up selling it & going back to a sedan. I expected my gas mileage to go down with it being an SUV, but still thought I'd at least average in the low to mid 20's with it being a 6 cylinder and not an 8 & not being that big. However I'm averaging 17 to 20 miles to the gallon and that's even with driving very conservatively. The ride is smooth but I find myself being afraid of any sudden moves. Overall it's not a bad vehicle but be ready to pay more at the pump if you get one.

We made a good purchase
By Dick in AZ on 10/14/08 18:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Santa Fe about a month before making a 2000 mile trip back to Ohio. It was three years old when we bought it and had 32,000 miles. After driving it 6,000+ miles so far, I have to say it is the most comfortable vehicle I think I have driven to date (I'm 63, 5'7" 150#). The display for the air conditioning/heating is rather hard to see while driving, but functions well. We get about 16-18 around town, and the first time I checked it on our trip, we got 27mpg @ 75mph with the air on! I like the way it handles but it is a wee bit top heavy, but it has never been a problem. The only negative comment I have is the gas pedal; it seems sluggish, then suddenly leaps forward.

Bad gas mileage
By Winter on 05/11/08 12:21 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My driving experience is the SUV handles fine, the check engine light has been on since two weeks after purchase have never had time to take it in. Not a vehicle for commute the gas mileage sucks for this I go through over $100 a week in gas. It handles well in snow though I bought it for that very reason and I am thankful that works well.

Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 L GLS AWD
By Dave on 05/06/08 17:08 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good vehicle since buying used. Great interior layout and features for the price. Gas consumption and braking could be better. No problems so far. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone wanting a good comfortable SUV.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2005 SE
By eighthof8 on 11/11/07 05:10 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in a 2001 Nissan Exterra for my 2005 Santa Fe mainly for my Wife's daily driver. We both really like it rides/handles like a car. I've heard complaints of gas mileage here, but our 3.5 is averaging 21 mpg city/highway. On the highway it likes to run 80, so we let it. Highway mpg is a solid 24. For complaints: I wish the center console used better plastic. While driving, and using it as an arm rest, it creaks with any movement, plus the padded top needs more padding. I really don't like the way it accelerates from a standing stop. You crush the accelerator to get it moving, then it wants to blast off. I wish this was smoother. All around, I would purchase another

Great SUV
By adavis on 09/23/07 05:51 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Santa Fe. I have been looking at them for a while and thought I would like one and went to the dealership and they had a preowned one fully loaded. It has everything I have never had. It has alot of room. I like sitting up off the ground rather then on the ground in a regular car. I will probably not go back to a regular care after having a SUV. The price was great for all the features. I probably would have spent well of $23 for all the features this has. I have been very satisfied.

good car for price
By jill on 06/03/07 18:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving the Santa Fe much more than the Windstar I traded in. It is easier to park, vision is better and so is fuel economy. For the money, you get a great suv. I would buy it again. Im not sure the friend who bought the Explorer the same month would. It has not caused me a minute of trouble.

Solid performer
By Mary Book on 05/22/07 11:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a solid and fun car to drive. It is especially great in bad weather, heavy rain, snow, wind. It stays stable on the road with the AWD doing the work for you. It has comfortable firm seating,a good view from it's higher elevation, and a nice powerful engine. The Monsoon sound system is incredable.The 6 disc changer works effortlessly, the dash panel is easy to access and read. You can haul a lot inthe back and on top if need be. The paint, finish and detail is extra nice. You get a lot for the money. I've had no major mechanical problems in the two years I've owned the car.

2005 Overview
By B Thomma on 04/03/07 05:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car has been reliable and meets my needs. The only problem has been the check engine has continually been going on. This has caused me to return to the dealer to have it corrected. The problem in every instance is in the gas cap overfill. The dealership has always fixed the problem and given a loaner car when needed. Another problem was with the radio. The AM reception was no good. This was their top of the line radio. They replaced it with a less expensive radio and the problem was corrected.