2005 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Warranty issues
By H Leal on 03/07/10 14:53 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing but warranty problems. The 1st was rust spots all over. It took over 6 months and 2 dealerships, warranty dept, regional DPSM, BBB. Now body side moulding fell off, they said not covered because it is 3/36000, but it's 5/60000. Conference calls with dealer, warranty dept and DPSM still nothing done. Service and warranty mean nothing. I bought because of warranty and it is all a lie. Never buy another again.

I LOVE my Santa Fe!
By davis on 01/28/10 14:21 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our car about 5 months ago and have done quite a bit of light off-roading in it and it handles great, and though we've probably asked for it a few times, it hasn't left us stranded. Performs like a champ in poor conditions and I think it is an extremely comfortable ride. Not so fond of the engine rumble between 60-70 mph, but I'm assuming that has something to do with either the AWD or the miles on the vehicle. Only problem we've had with it thus far is the accelerator sensor which we replaced for a relatively reasonable cost (and frankly, the same thing went out on our Kia which is two years newer the same week). It's a sexy cute little suv and reliable too :)

Loved my Santa Fe
By JennHenz on 01/08/10 17:25 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My Santa Fe was the best driving vehicle I've owned. It got fair gas mileage for an SUV (19-23 MPG). The car was totaled in an accident (neither our or the cars fault) but my husband and I both walked away without a scratch. My husband is 6' tall and didn't like to drive it because even with the seat all the way back, his knees were still in the dash. It would've been better with an MP3 player.

Great Car
By Bob Ault on 11/12/09 17:54 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchase this Santa Fe used with 25k. The only problem I encountered was a defective rear seat hatch which was covered under the factory warranty. At 54k it still has 30% front and 90% original factory brakes. It rides like a car, gets acceptable mileage and very easy to get in and out of.

Love it so far
By Gail on 11/07/09 09:21 AM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used with over 70,000 miles. Love the car so far, except for fuel economy - coming out of a standard 4-cyl Accord this is a shocker to me. The Santa Fe is awesome in all aspects except for the fuel. I cannot wait to try it in the snow and I am looking forward to buying an updated model after this one. Would definitely buy another one.

By viennadarling on 08/12/09 08:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV after driving a Jeep for years. I thought nothing would compare to my old Jeep, but the Santa Fe definitely holds its own. I'm rather short, but the Santa Fe has great visibility all around. The only thing I would change is the tan interior; I have dogs and the seats need shampooed quite frequently. Its easy and fun to drive and hasn't given me a problem yet.

Time to move on, with no problems
By Matt on 08/10/09 23:50 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle with 17k mi on it. It now has 137k mi. I have only had one major issue. The throttle position sensor went out. After I found a mechanic who could identify the problem, it only too an hour to fix and the cost was minimal. The factory tires lasted 100k mi. Another problem that was really a non issue, is that when I let the gas get too low the check engine light lit up after i filled it up and stayed on till i used half that tank of gas. I averaged about 20 mpg on all highway miles. It still runs great, just time to move on.

So far Great
By laustin on 07/27/09 12:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after nothing but problems with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado. I did research on the sante fe and bought it for the warranty. Great room in back for beach chairs, moving furniture, etc. Good cup holders. Good seats. Only thing I don't like is the engine doesn't seem to have alot of "umpf" but then again I don't need to go more than 70 mph. Have 60k miles now. hope this lasts a very long time for me!

Three and a half years & still impressed
By kathy on 12/31/08 15:25 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Santa Fe in July 05. This month (12/08), I had to take it to the dealership for the first problem I have had - it needed a new thermostat, which was covered under the warranty. My time is precious and I appreciate the reliability of this vehicle. Will buy another Hyundai if this one ever wears out!

Good car, bad gas mileage!
By Janos on 12/17/08 20:24 PM (PST)

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Santa Fe back in October 2008 - my wife wanted us to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle in case of bad weather. I expected the mileage to go down some from the sedan I had but figured with with conservative driving, I'd at least get in the low to mid 20's. Definitely NOT the case! I'm averaging closer to 16 to 18 miles to the gallon even with mostly highway driving at 70. It runs smoothly and is very comfortable to drive but every time I fill the tank, I cringe. Snow / slick road handling is so-so. My wife's Mazda 6 actually handles a lot better in snow & ice which kind of defeats the purpose of getting the four wheel drive Santa Fe! I will probably end up going back to a sedan.