Used 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Santa-fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Love It
By gman2705

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the Santa Fe with 35 000 miles. Now has 75 000 on it and runs like new. Goes great in the snow. Everything is tight, no squeaks or rattles. First SUV, and the next one will be a Santa Fe.

Favorite Features

The stereo is great. AWD and traction control

Strange, drawn out problems
By Angela Tweet

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved Hyundai when I purchased my 2005 Santa Fe. The car was pretty amazing until spring of '10, when it started to show signs of overheating, without the thermostat going up. Lithia told me it was fine, and I drove it until it started stalling. I took it back in, paid for a new radiator (not under warranty after 60K), and dealt with either cracked radiators/ bubbling coolant or not having a vehicle for 3 months. They couldn't figure out what was wrong. Head gasket had to be replaced (under warranty) but since that had been what blew out the radiator, why didn't I get any refund? Or the more than $1k of equipment that they didn't seem to care was stolen from my car while they had it!

Favorite Features

Great car while it lasted, but the long term ownership experience has soured me.

Suggested Improvements

Don't deal with known corrupt dealerships. shop around! Subaru is amazing for much less than a Hyundai these days!

Great SUV with one major problem
By Carrie

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV which I bought used and absolutely love. It runs great, is comfortable and gets pretty good gas mileage. I've had it for 2 years now and have just now run into a snag. My Crank sensor went out on me without any warning. I was driving to work and everything was fine and all of a sudden it started jerking, all my warning lights came on and then it just died on me. I had to have it towed to the dealership & unfortunately my warranty ran out 6 weeks ago so now I'm looking at around $500. Other then this it has been a great first SUV & I would definitely purchase another one.

Favorite Features

The size of it. I'm petite so I didn't want anything too big. It fits me just perfect and is very easy to maneuver. Sunroof is a nice feature also.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the radio stayed until I opened the driver door instead of when I take the key out like my last card did. I also wish the doors would automatically lock once you put it into gear.

Great, no hassle, reliable quality car!
By boisegal

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my car since purchase, over five years now and never one problem! It's very reliable, works great for hauling around family, stuff, and friends. Still looks good, and cleans up nicely. I was in an accident three years ago, had front-end rebuilt. And still, never one problem before or after. These are great quality vehicles.

Favorite Features

Sunroof is a nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

Fold down seats in back can be a pain. You have to remove the headrest, pull up bottom seat, then lower backrest. Bad design. After all that work, they still down lay flat all the way.

Brake hog
By KATHY SEDGWICK

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a money maker for the service department when it comes to the brakes. I have had to replace the brakes almost every 20,000-25,000 miles. I will not be buying another Hyundai again. Will be going back to a Ford or Chevy!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brake problem!