Used 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Good choice among SM SUV
By JT

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Generally, I like my 2005 Santa Fe. I drive in city mostly, so, it has enough power for me. Not so good when going uphill. If I could choose again, I'd buy the 3.5L instead. Good sound quality. Excellent steering, suspension and smooth ride for normal driving. Big trunk space. Beware of dealers overcharging on fees other than the car price.

Favorite Features

Shiftronic, interior luxury feel, seat back support, styling, big trunk, warranty,

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage, use 4WD instead of AWD to improve mileage, may be a hybric version, 10 airbags (2 heads, 4 sides, 4 curtains), ESC, the car is dragged when going down hill (but it improve control) be'c of AWD, not enough power for 2.7L when going up hill due to its heaviness

long distance towing
By gonewest

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I'm 2500 miles into a cross-country trip towing 2000+ (trailer & contents combined). I'm averaging 15 mpg, which is well within my acceptable range, given the circumstances. Even while towing across some of the worst roads I have ever been on, the handling has been great, and it has enough power to keep in the traffic flow in places like Dallas & Phoenix at quitting time. Got caught in Hurricane Dennis, and the ABS/TRS was a blessing. Also caught 60 mph winds in Arizona yesterday and DIDN'T feel like I was out of control. That was a major surprise for me. I'm a 4 time Hyundai buyer. My first was an 86 Excel that had over 400,000 mi when I traded it in. Other 2 got wrecked :(

Favorite Features

Love the styling, ride & accssories. A/C worked great in 120* weather, but my FAVORITE thing is the seatbelt. I'm short (5'3") and most seatbelts, even adjustable ones are so uncomfortable that I never wore them. My belt is so comfortable now that I easily forget I have it on!

Suggested Improvements

stereo volume & A/C controls on steering wheel, or at least in a more accessible location

The others are overrated!
By Jim

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

So far we have had all good experiences and it gets better gas mileage than in your ratings by a 2-3 miles per gallon.

Favorite Features

The Power sunroof works better than other vehicles I have had. The dash is layed out to be very efficent.

Suggested Improvements

The direction of the center AC vents. Fine for me in the front but could be better for the rear passengers.

Santa Fe
By AR

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is a review of my first Santa Fe purchased in 2001. 137000 trouble free miles. I don't see any major changes in the 2005. I'm sure the 2005 will be better.

Suggested Improvements

A Toyota style spare tire access system. The best in the industry

I love the car
By peter

2005 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have just returned from a trip to Illinois, what a joy to drive? Over 2000 miles of joy in less than a week. You just can't beat the vehicle for the price!

Favorite Features

Exterior, fun to drive, space inside.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be improved a little.