Dead car in middle of freeway
By woman on
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)
A few days ago my car lost all power while driving on the freeway at night. The car has been acting up now for about 5 months, maybe more. while driving, sometimes, with my foot on the accelerator the car looses all RPM then after about three seconds it comes back to normal. It happens all over, on the freeway to neighborhoods at 10 miles an hour. But A few days ago at night the car did its no RPM thing then died. all lights turned on. And now, two mechanics shops cannot tell what is wrong with it. (one had a reading about transmission) but then the transmission place can't get the same reading.
By barbara_mead
on 06/10/11 21:59 PM (PDT)

Did you ever find out what was wrong with your car. Mine has started doing something like that. Mine has no acceleration when on hills and losses comp. and will not take off on a incline. Is this kinda like what was going on with your car.

By shakespeare
on 06/20/11 22:06 PM (PDT)

Sounds like a defective throttle sensor to me. I have a 2004 Santy, and at 110,000 miles I had the exact same problem described by "woman," only my Santy broke down on the turnpike at 1:00 in the morning. Replacing the throttle sensor fixed it.

By rudypearson
on 04/03/14 07:48 AM (PDT)

This is an old post; however, I had a truck that would do the same thing (Chevy S-10). It's probably your ignition switch. It's shorting out and needs to be replaced. Every time I brought my truck to a mechanic it wouldn't act up, but finally someone told me what was wrong with it. It's an easy do it yourself replacement!