Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

2004 Hyundai sante fe
By guccigirl

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Everyones reviews about new cars, guess what, mine has 165 thou miles, never had a problem! LOVE LOVE LOVE MY HYUNDAI! Fabulous stereo! Only complaints, wish it had better gas mileage, have to change transmission fluid every 30 thou miles. I really love this car. will drive it to death, it also really holds its value!

looks/stereo

better gas mileage, tires and breaks wear more quickly than other cars i've had. Car has always pulled to the right, had front end, rear end alignments, many, break checks, and new tires, doesn't seem to help

My Hyundai Nightmare
By Ed K

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 2 Santa Fe's (2001 & 2004). Both had engine failures and had to have their small blocks replaced at around 60,000 miles. Both failed on the freeway. Both had all their regularly scheduled maintenance performed by the book. These 2 freeway failures placed me in very serious safety conditions. The 2004 failed at night in the middle of the Arizona Desert- I was driving at 70 mph when the engine lost power & made a terrible noise. I end up getting towed over 150 miles to Hyundai Dealer. Small block failed (60,068 miles 68 miles past the warranty). Hyundai initially refused to pay for the repair; but, after a tremendous amount of effort on my part; they finally cover 30%

Don't buy from Hyundai. Buy from a reliable car manufacturer that will stand by their product

2004 Base Santa Fe
By SanDiegoRN

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the base, manual, without a lot of bells and whistles because I wanted a manual, not an automatic. My gas mileage is probably better because of this varying from 24-28 mpg depending on how much city driving I do. On trips hwy mileage can even approach 30 mpg. I had a problem with the check engine light for the first couple of years d/t accelerator sensor position problems, but o/w very reliable. Just had to have the crankshaft sensor (and accelerator sensor) replaced as it caused the vehicle to quit completely, but overall I am very, very happy with it. Scratches do tend to occur in parking lots. Very comfortable and I want to keep this till it stops running completely.

Comfort, good warantee, decent gas mileage, easy to drive.

Base model could use a bit more power for its size and the coating could be a bit heavier so light scratches don't show so much.

Disappointed
By Disappointed

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 18 months, having bought it used with 20,500 miles on it.It now has 49,000 miles and I just picked it up from the dealership from having the transmission replaced. The check engine light, is always on, and it didn't fail me today, 8 miles from the dealership (where they also fixed a vacuum problem to correct the CEL), it was on again. I had high hopes for this car, but after being in the dealership at least 8 times in 18 months (CEL and tranny issues), I no longer have any hopes for it. Although I love the style and size, it gets fairly decent gas mileage and it rides nice, those things just do not make up for the mechanical problems and being w/o my car.

Fun to drive. Feel safe in winter. Lots of cargo room. Heated leather seats, power heated mirrors.

Better mechanical quality. Reduce road noise - have to have radio loud to drown it out. Rear seats should lie flat when folded down.

Tried and true friend!
By Lisa

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my car four years, 25,000 miles. It has always been reliable, never one problem. I was in an accident two years ago and had the front-end rebuilt. I anticipated problems, and still nothing! I traded cars for a day recently, and I really missed my sweet little Santa Fe! I do mostly city driving, but did take a road trip (10 hours each way) to the desert. She was a stellar off-road performer.

What I love: very reliable, lots of storage room so it's great for hauling things around, smaller SUV so still easy to park in parking lots, I like the look, has held up well.

Acceleration takes awhile (had a BMW before this, so maybe I'm spoiled); gas mileage was less than I had hoped (under 20 mi. gallon); tends to float down the road like a boat (I like this as I like to feel the road under the car, but seems to have a sway, doesn't drive like a responsive sports car).