Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 437 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

My Santa Fe
By Liz

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Santa Fe for (4) years and overall it has been a good experience. The vehicle has been reliable with no major maintenance work required. It is fun to drive and just as stylish as some of the more expensive SUV's on the road. My ownership experience was always very good when I dealt with Arnold Hyundai never had a problem. I went to Suburban Hyundai in Troy, MI after Arnold Hyundai moved far from my home. I do not like that dealership, so back to Arnold (Victory) Hyundai I go!

Nice dashboard, sufficient leg room, and good acceleration when getting on the freeway.

I can hear a lot of road noise when I am driving. Hyundai needs more dealerships in Michigan.

6 Year report
By Kadaro

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the car @ 125K miles. only history to report is Velocity sensor gear failed, P/S pump and lines fail/rust prematurely. Almost impossible to replace P/S pump yourself. Must use hyundai oil filter or you will have engine knock after sitting overnight. Window antenna is garbage on 2004, improved at 2005.

Heated mirrors, traction control

Rear view mirror is to big but you get used to it. Needs better All season tires for snow.

2004 Hyundai sante fe
By guccigirl

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Everyones reviews about new cars, guess what, mine has 165 thou miles, never had a problem! LOVE LOVE LOVE MY HYUNDAI! Fabulous stereo! Only complaints, wish it had better gas mileage, have to change transmission fluid every 30 thou miles. I really love this car. will drive it to death, it also really holds its value!

looks/stereo

better gas mileage, tires and breaks wear more quickly than other cars i've had. Car has always pulled to the right, had front end, rear end alignments, many, break checks, and new tires, doesn't seem to help

My Hyundai Nightmare
By Ed K

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 2 Santa Fe's (2001 & 2004). Both had engine failures and had to have their small blocks replaced at around 60,000 miles. Both failed on the freeway. Both had all their regularly scheduled maintenance performed by the book. These 2 freeway failures placed me in very serious safety conditions. The 2004 failed at night in the middle of the Arizona Desert- I was driving at 70 mph when the engine lost power & made a terrible noise. I end up getting towed over 150 miles to Hyundai Dealer. Small block failed (60,068 miles – 68 miles past the warranty). Hyundai initially refused to pay for the repair; but, after a tremendous amount of effort on my part; they finally cover 30%

Don't buy from Hyundai. Buy from a reliable car manufacturer that will stand by their product

2004 Base Santa Fe
By SanDiegoRN

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the base, manual, without a lot of bells and whistles because I wanted a manual, not an automatic. My gas mileage is probably better because of this varying from 24-28 mpg depending on how much city driving I do. On trips hwy mileage can even approach 30 mpg. I had a problem with the check engine light for the first couple of years d/t accelerator sensor position problems, but o/w very reliable. Just had to have the crankshaft sensor (and accelerator sensor) replaced as it caused the vehicle to quit completely, but overall I am very, very happy with it. Scratches do tend to occur in parking lots. Very comfortable and I want to keep this till it stops running completely.

Comfort, good warantee, decent gas mileage, easy to drive.

Base model could use a bit more power for its size and the coating could be a bit heavier so light scratches don't show so much.