Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

My Hyundai Nightmare
By Ed K

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 2 Santa Fe's (2001 & 2004). Both had engine failures and had to have their small blocks replaced at around 60,000 miles. Both failed on the freeway. Both had all their regularly scheduled maintenance performed by the book. These 2 freeway failures placed me in very serious safety conditions. The 2004 failed at night in the middle of the Arizona Desert- I was driving at 70 mph when the engine lost power & made a terrible noise. I end up getting towed over 150 miles to Hyundai Dealer. Small block failed (60,068 miles 68 miles past the warranty). Hyundai initially refused to pay for the repair; but, after a tremendous amount of effort on my part; they finally cover 30%

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy from Hyundai. Buy from a reliable car manufacturer that will stand by their product

2004 Base Santa Fe
By SanDiegoRN

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the base, manual, without a lot of bells and whistles because I wanted a manual, not an automatic. My gas mileage is probably better because of this varying from 24-28 mpg depending on how much city driving I do. On trips hwy mileage can even approach 30 mpg. I had a problem with the check engine light for the first couple of years d/t accelerator sensor position problems, but o/w very reliable. Just had to have the crankshaft sensor (and accelerator sensor) replaced as it caused the vehicle to quit completely, but overall I am very, very happy with it. Scratches do tend to occur in parking lots. Very comfortable and I want to keep this till it stops running completely.

Favorite Features

Comfort, good warantee, decent gas mileage, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Base model could use a bit more power for its size and the coating could be a bit heavier so light scratches don't show so much.

Disappointed
By Disappointed

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this car for 18 months, having bought it used with 20,500 miles on it.It now has 49,000 miles and I just picked it up from the dealership from having the transmission replaced. The check engine light, is always on, and it didn't fail me today, 8 miles from the dealership (where they also fixed a vacuum problem to correct the CEL), it was on again. I had high hopes for this car, but after being in the dealership at least 8 times in 18 months (CEL and tranny issues), I no longer have any hopes for it. Although I love the style and size, it gets fairly decent gas mileage and it rides nice, those things just do not make up for the mechanical problems and being w/o my car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Feel safe in winter. Lots of cargo room. Heated leather seats, power heated mirrors.

Suggested Improvements

Better mechanical quality. Reduce road noise - have to have radio loud to drown it out. Rear seats should lie flat when folded down.

Tried and true friend!
By Lisa

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my car four years, 25,000 miles. It has always been reliable, never one problem. I was in an accident two years ago and had the front-end rebuilt. I anticipated problems, and still nothing! I traded cars for a day recently, and I really missed my sweet little Santa Fe! I do mostly city driving, but did take a road trip (10 hours each way) to the desert. She was a stellar off-road performer.

Favorite Features

What I love: very reliable, lots of storage room so it's great for hauling things around, smaller SUV so still easy to park in parking lots, I like the look, has held up well.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration takes awhile (had a BMW before this, so maybe I'm spoiled); gas mileage was less than I had hoped (under 20 mi. gallon); tends to float down the road like a boat (I like this as I like to feel the road under the car, but seems to have a sway, doesn't drive like a responsive sports car).

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe
By ANDREW

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I love this vehicle. Great value for the money. We got it new from factory only 6 miles on it. Great for traveling and long trips. We have auto transmission, as well as the space is great especially for a man who is bigger like me. It has some pep for a 4 cyl and gas mi is about what I'd expect. It even comes with a 1st aid kit and full size spare is great. I get regular oil changes and have not had one major issue except for the common ones.. Tires, brakes etc. Would not trade my vehicle in for anything. Got extended warranty (value?) for 7/100.

Favorite Features

Antenna, luggage rack, individual fold down seats, back 12V carrier and also all the space available, mileage good. Automatic windows and mirrors work great. Radio CD player ok, rear cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Tire wear. Tires that came standard wore down real quick (30000). But new tires work great. Brake went too but had them replaced and worked fine. NO other problems