Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Still strong
By Jay

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I cannot really give a long term review as I have had the same 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe since new and I only have 77 thousand miles on it. I live on Oahu so travel is short no matter where you go. I commute 16 miles a day and have every day since I owned it. I did replace the power steering pump that seems to be a Hyundai problem that is fairly common, serpentine belt which is just good maintenance and proper oil and fluid changes to transmission, power steering and brakes and cooling.

The cabin has one flaw, the plastic dash and various parts chirp from bad fits and lack of insulation. Always has been that way. Other than that, I keep it covered both at home in a car port and in an underground garage and always have, perhaps that is why I have no paint issues at all. I hand wash it and always have since Oahu has no public spray wash booths, this seems to have given the paint a long lease on life. The only real issue is that it is realiable enough to get bored with it after so many years.

Nine years and 150,000 miles later.....
By cshaw22

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Santa Fe new in 2004. After 150,000 miles, it has spent more time broken than any car I have ever owned. Since new we have replaced the crank sensor 6 times, the throw-out bearing grenaded taking the clutch with it, the radiator disintegrated, the cat converter burned out, the power steering pump shaft broke, etc,etc. The tranny has been solid as many times I was able to restart by downshifting and popping the clutch which made the tranny scream but got me to the house. I bought an extended warranty which paid for itself many times over. It rides and drives great but breaks down too often. No longer my daily driver, but still my beater as it hauls a lot of stuff, when it runs.

Best seats in any car, ever!!! Large carrying capacity

Love the car - but now it's a beater...
By leftoverchef

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I've had the car since brand new and have loved it. I haven't been too punctual with the routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.) and the car still has performed well (until recently, but more on that later).

I made it to 100k miles on the original clutch - which is a record for me.
I didn't even replace the timing belt until 110k miles!

The only problem I really have had with it has been a faulty clutch pedal sensor when we bought it - and a crank-shaft position sensor that died just before i replaced the timing belt.

That said - recently the Catalytic converter broke and the Exhaust manifold cracked - a $2600 repair - but my son will pay that to buy it from me instead!

The stick shift STILL gets me around 25-30 mpg.

2004 Base Santa Fe
By SanDiegoRN

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the base, manual, without a lot of bells and whistles because I wanted a manual, not an automatic. My gas mileage is probably better because of this varying from 24-28 mpg depending on how much city driving I do. On trips hwy mileage can even approach 30 mpg. I had a problem with the check engine light for the first couple of years d/t accelerator sensor position problems, but o/w very reliable. Just had to have the crankshaft sensor (and accelerator sensor) replaced as it caused the vehicle to quit completely, but overall I am very, very happy with it. Scratches do tend to occur in parking lots. Very comfortable and I want to keep this till it stops running completely.

Comfort, good warantee, decent gas mileage, easy to drive.

Base model could use a bit more power for its size and the coating could be a bit heavier so light scratches don't show so much.

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe
By ANDREW

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I love this vehicle. Great value for the money. We got it new from factory only 6 miles on it. Great for traveling and long trips. We have auto transmission, as well as the space is great especially for a man who is bigger like me. It has some pep for a 4 cyl and gas mi is about what I'd expect. It even comes with a 1st aid kit and full size spare is great. I get regular oil changes and have not had one major issue except for the common ones.. Tires, brakes etc. Would not trade my vehicle in for anything. Got extended warranty (value?) for 7/100.

Antenna, luggage rack, individual fold down seats, back 12V carrier and also all the space available, mileage good. Automatic windows and mirrors work great. Radio CD player ok, rear cup holders.

Tire wear. Tires that came standard wore down real quick (30000). But new tires work great. Brake went too but had them replaced and worked fine. NO other problems