Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Santa-fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Reliable, trouble free so far!
By madmaxooohhh

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I just turned 95,000 miles on my 2004 Santa Fe. No problems so far except normal maintenance: windshield wiper blades every 2 years, tires every 4 years-usually worn out by then, change oil every 6 months or 6-7000 miles for conventional or 7-10000 miles on synthetic. I changed the transmission oil twice (drain and fill) at 40k miles, and again at 80k miles). Oh, I changed both front bulbs after one of the bulbs burned out at around 70k miles. Replaced front and rear brakes and rotors at 85k miles. I will do the timing belt sometime soon. No problems! Best car I have owned so far.

Favorite Features

Very reliable SUV, that has not failed me yet.

Suggested Improvements

None so far. Gas mileage is average so far.

Best car I've ever had
By Bruce

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My six year old Santa Fe has 150,000 miles on it and it still has the original BF Goodrich tires on it, original front brakes. I replaced the rear pads and rotors in March 2010. I have always used synthetic oil and have had no problems with the engine at all. Average 22 MPG. I have had two problems. I have replaced the headlight and fog light bulbs four or five times, and the car has developed a short in the electronic odometer. Otherwise, I have had no problems with this car and have spent next to nothing on it.

Suggested Improvements

A little more pep in the smaller V6 engines.

Tried and true friend!
By Lisa

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my car four years, 25,000 miles. It has always been reliable, never one problem. I was in an accident two years ago and had the front-end rebuilt. I anticipated problems, and still nothing! I traded cars for a day recently, and I really missed my sweet little Santa Fe! I do mostly city driving, but did take a road trip (10 hours each way) to the desert. She was a stellar off-road performer.

Favorite Features

What I love: very reliable, lots of storage room so it's great for hauling things around, smaller SUV so still easy to park in parking lots, I like the look, has held up well.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration takes awhile (had a BMW before this, so maybe I'm spoiled); gas mileage was less than I had hoped (under 20 mi. gallon); tends to float down the road like a boat (I like this as I like to feel the road under the car, but seems to have a sway, doesn't drive like a responsive sports car).

Lived to tell about it!!!
By Jana

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Recently my daughter and I were in an accident with my 2004 Santa Fe which I was the driver my daughter the passenger. 3 vehicles were involved all of which were totaled off. The driver of the vehicle which hit us lost control and landed on my Santa Fe and rolled off, literally tearing open the drivers side and pushing us into another vehicle which stopped us from rolling into traffic.The accident reconstruction police team visited us at the hospital at which time they told us that had we been in any other vehicle the chances of the accident being fatal would have been much higher as the Santa Fe is designed to crumble around us in an accident and has the best accident ratings.Thank you Hyundai!

Favorite Features

I had never had any problems with my Santa Fe, it was incredible on gas, very comfortable and roomy, we bought this vehicle for safety as we have to commute to work from outside of the city

Suggested Improvements

None, I loved everything about my Santa Fe.

04 Santa Fe review
By Cyril

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The most practical vehicle I ever owned. The first vehicle I had that didn't burn any oil. The 3.5L engine performance is great. Rides like a luxury car. Problems so far have been minor. Has lots of neat storage compartments. A nerds dream.

Favorite Features

Climate control, 6 CD player, heated rear view mirrors and front seat cushion.

Suggested Improvements

Method of latching down rear seat cusion needs to be improved. A strap is pulled to release a latch. This strap gets burried in the seat crack between seat cushion and seat back.