Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Sensor Issues
By incubritt2010

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Santa Fe with 68,000, and after 4 other lemons before that, I figured this car would be my knight in shining armor. So, naturally, the transmission went out 6 months after I bought it. Now a year and half later, it just wouldn't start one day. Long story short, I've now replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, the Coolant Temperature Sensor, and low and behold, this morning I went to start it and its running crappy still and trying to die on me, obviously not trustworthy. The mechanics are stumped, and so am I. If this happens to you, the code reads, "Fuel temp sensor", get ready for a domino effect of electrical problems that mechanics won't be able to pinpoint.

I do love this car, it's very sharp looking and comfortable, but unreliable. I take very good care of my car, and take it for routine oil changes and mainentance, so it's very dissapointing.

Best Car ever owned
By Westpalmer

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I mentioned Hyundai to some guys I get the rolling eyes and the standard remarks, cheap, non performing, low ratings etc. I bought my Santa Fe new after much fighting with my hubby who wanted me to buy anything but that. Well, my car has a 155,000 miles and other than regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance (which I performed faithfully at the dealership), the only out of warranty repair I had was a new battery at 101,000 miles and a broken power steering container at 107,000 miles. It's a perfect vehicle for busy families. It's comfortable in the front and back and the back holds plenty of luggage and supplies. The money I saved was used on vacations with my family!

Size, gas mileage, easy handling, comfortable driving, lots of space front and back. Heated seats (for those PMS days), cargo room when seats folded down fits full size plywood sheet flat, low insurance (good safety rating).

Audio system could have been better quality.

6 Year report
By Kadaro

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the car @ 125K miles. only history to report is Velocity sensor gear failed, P/S pump and lines fail/rust prematurely. Almost impossible to replace P/S pump yourself. Must use hyundai oil filter or you will have engine knock after sitting overnight. Window antenna is garbage on 2004, improved at 2005.

Heated mirrors, traction control

Rear view mirror is to big but you get used to it. Needs better All season tires for snow.

My Hyundai Nightmare
By Ed K

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 2 Santa Fe's (2001 & 2004). Both had engine failures and had to have their small blocks replaced at around 60,000 miles. Both failed on the freeway. Both had all their regularly scheduled maintenance performed by the book. These 2 freeway failures placed me in very serious safety conditions. The 2004 failed at night in the middle of the Arizona Desert- I was driving at 70 mph when the engine lost power & made a terrible noise. I end up getting towed over 150 miles to Hyundai Dealer. Small block failed (60,068 miles 68 miles past the warranty). Hyundai initially refused to pay for the repair; but, after a tremendous amount of effort on my part; they finally cover 30%

Don't buy from Hyundai. Buy from a reliable car manufacturer that will stand by their product

After a year....a good choice
By Luisito

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After a year, my Santa Fe has been extremely reliable. The power from the 3.5 is adequate if not outstanding. The engine is "silky-smooth" and not noisy. I like the interior design as it is very ergonometric and almost everything is accessible.The brakes and stopping distance are very good for this type of SUV. The A/C design is perfect for me and my family, as the vents are out of your face and we truly like that.

I love the overall design; the paint job and finish are excellent. The cabin interior is quite quiet and user friendly. It rides quite smoothly, even though you can 'feel' some tire noise. Avoid Goodyear Integra tires , they are very noisy! The engine compartment is very "user friendly" .

The materials (plastic) inside the cabin, even though beautiful are not of the highest quality - this has been an Hyundai problem since year one (this is my 3rd Hyundai). The rear wiper is a major problem, it never seems to 'sit' on its base; i changed it with a Bosch blade and is working better.