2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

GLS 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Sensor Issues
By incubritt2010 on 06/26/11 20:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Santa Fe with 68,000, and after 4 other lemons before that, I figured this car would be my knight in shining armor. So, naturally, the transmission went out 6 months after I bought it. Now a year and half later, it just wouldn't start one day. Long story short, I've now replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, the Coolant Temperature Sensor, and low and behold, this morning I went to start it and its running crappy still and trying to die on me, obviously not trustworthy. The mechanics are stumped, and so am I. If this happens to you, the code reads, "Fuel temp sensor", get ready for a domino effect of electrical problems that mechanics won't be able to pinpoint.

Best Car ever owned
By Westpalmer on 06/01/10 19:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When I mentioned Hyundai to some guys I get the rolling eyes and the standard remarks, cheap, non performing, low ratings etc. I bought my Santa Fe new after much fighting with my hubby who wanted me to buy anything but that. Well, my car has a 155,000 miles and other than regular oil changes and scheduled maintenance (which I performed faithfully at the dealership), the only out of warranty repair I had was a new battery at 101,000 miles and a broken power steering container at 107,000 miles. It's a perfect vehicle for busy families. It's comfortable in the front and back and the back holds plenty of luggage and supplies. The money I saved was used on vacations with my family!

6 Year report
By Kadaro on 01/11/10 06:45 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the car @ 125K miles. only history to report is Velocity sensor gear failed, P/S pump and lines fail/rust prematurely. Almost impossible to replace P/S pump yourself. Must use hyundai oil filter or you will have engine knock after sitting overnight. Window antenna is garbage on 2004, improved at 2005.

My Hyundai Nightmare
By Ed K on 10/28/09 12:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned 2 Santa Fe's (2001 & 2004). Both had engine failures and had to have their small blocks replaced at around 60,000 miles. Both failed on the freeway. Both had all their regularly scheduled maintenance performed by the book. These 2 freeway failures placed me in very serious safety conditions. The 2004 failed at night in the middle of the Arizona Desert- I was driving at 70 mph when the engine lost power & made a terrible noise. I end up getting towed over 150 miles to Hyundai Dealer. Small block failed (60,068 miles 68 miles past the warranty). Hyundai initially refused to pay for the repair; but, after a tremendous amount of effort on my part; they finally cover 30%

After a year....a good choice
By Luisito on 12/19/04 10:36 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After a year, my Santa Fe has been extremely reliable. The power from the 3.5 is adequate if not outstanding. The engine is "silky-smooth" and not noisy. I like the interior design as it is very ergonometric and almost everything is accessible.The brakes and stopping distance are very good for this type of SUV. The A/C design is perfect for me and my family, as the vents are out of your face and we truly like that.

Love my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe
By Lincoln, Nebraska on 12/18/04 21:47 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

For the money, the Santa Fe had the best combination of features, comfort, quality interior materials, and performance of any smaller SUV we test drove. I have had my Santa Fe for about 9 months and have driven it about 12,000 miles so far. It is a joy to drive, hauls children and their gear as well as groceries admirably. The only problem I have had was a large radiator leak at about 5,000 miles and the Hyundai dealership corrected the problem without hassle. The EPA ratings are very accurate, about 17 in the city and 22- 23 on the highway. Bottom line, I am very happy with my Hyundai.

1st SUV I've Purchased
By Gino on 12/16/04 01:09 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a GLS FW 3.5 Santa Fe. I love it so far. The ride is smooth, just like a car. Goes up hills without a problem. Haven't had a chance to drive it in bad weather yet. Edmunds.com was great for me. I was really able to do a lot of homework before purchasing the vehicle. Everyone who has seen it likes it. My cousins took a ride in it and they want to purchase one. My only regret is I don't know if I should have gone with the 2.7 with AWD versus the power of the 3.5 engine and FW drive. I couldn't afford both. However this one does have ABS brakes and traction control. You can't beat the warranty. Winter will be the test. Go Hyundai!

Marion Miller
By K.Miller on 12/11/04 12:44 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is a handy little car to run errands, yet big enough to handle 5 people. Easy to park. Has a snappy engine for quick take off.

The Best Car/experience
By Sue in A.J. AZ on 11/08/04 16:31 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love this SUV!!! Apache Junction, AZ Hyundai is the BEST! Marshall made the buying experience the BEST!! I smile every time I get in this car. The service has been excellent at the dealership. The car is comfortable and very responsive on the road. I do very much freeway driving and I feel safe in my Santa Fe. I would have sworn I would never own a SUV until I drove the Santa Fe. It drives and feels like a luxury car.

great car
By florida driver on 11/07/04 18:38 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

the v-6 has lots of get up and go. i drive a lot and love the vehicle. do not like the a/c unit or the windshield wipers. the wipers don't work fast enough in florida downpours but with rainx it is fine. a/c is designed so does not blow in the face and personally i prefer it to be in the face.