Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Nine years and 150,000 miles later.....
By cshaw22

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Santa Fe new in 2004. After 150,000 miles, it has spent more time broken than any car I have ever owned. Since new we have replaced the crank sensor 6 times, the throw-out bearing grenaded taking the clutch with it, the radiator disintegrated, the cat converter burned out, the power steering pump shaft broke, etc,etc. The tranny has been solid as many times I was able to restart by downshifting and popping the clutch which made the tranny scream but got me to the house. I bought an extended warranty which paid for itself many times over. It rides and drives great but breaks down too often. No longer my daily driver, but still my beater as it hauls a lot of stuff, when it runs.

Best seats in any car, ever!!! Large carrying capacity

Love the car - but now it's a beater...
By leftoverchef

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I've had the car since brand new and have loved it. I haven't been too punctual with the routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.) and the car still has performed well (until recently, but more on that later). I made it to 100k miles on the original clutch - which is a record for me. I didn't even replace the timing belt until 110k miles! The only problem I really have had with it has been a faulty clutch pedal sensor when we bought it - and a crank-shaft position sensor that died just before i replaced the timing belt. That said - recently the Catalytic converter broke and the Exhaust manifold cracked - a $2600 repair - but my son will pay that to buy it from me instead!

The stick shift STILL gets me around 25-30 mpg.

2004 Base Santa Fe
By SanDiegoRN

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the base, manual, without a lot of bells and whistles because I wanted a manual, not an automatic. My gas mileage is probably better because of this varying from 24-28 mpg depending on how much city driving I do. On trips hwy mileage can even approach 30 mpg. I had a problem with the check engine light for the first couple of years d/t accelerator sensor position problems, but o/w very reliable. Just had to have the crankshaft sensor (and accelerator sensor) replaced as it caused the vehicle to quit completely, but overall I am very, very happy with it. Scratches do tend to occur in parking lots. Very comfortable and I want to keep this till it stops running completely.

Comfort, good warantee, decent gas mileage, easy to drive.

Base model could use a bit more power for its size and the coating could be a bit heavier so light scratches don't show so much.

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe
By ANDREW

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I love this vehicle. Great value for the money. We got it new from factory only 6 miles on it. Great for traveling and long trips. We have auto transmission, as well as the space is great especially for a man who is bigger like me. It has some pep for a 4 cyl and gas mi is about what I'd expect. It even comes with a 1st aid kit and full size spare is great. I get regular oil changes and have not had one major issue except for the common ones.. Tires, brakes etc. Would not trade my vehicle in for anything. Got extended warranty (value?) for 7/100.

Antenna, luggage rack, individual fold down seats, back 12V carrier and also all the space available, mileage good. Automatic windows and mirrors work great. Radio CD player ok, rear cup holders.

Tire wear. Tires that came standard wore down real quick (30000). But new tires work great. Brake went too but had them replaced and worked fine. NO other problems

i love my sante fe
By pboggs

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with every aspect of my santa fe, it is comfortable, and i feel safe while driving it. It handles wonderful on mountain roads, snow conditions and wet roads. It may only be 2wd but the design and ground clearance have made it the perfect crossover. Fuel economy well 270 miles on 1/4 tank of gas, need i say more? It is perfect for the wife if she wants to keep her tall husband in his own truck.

everything including the custom color

the only improvement i can think of is not on the crossover but need more Hyundai dealers.. avail for general maint. of my vehicle

• SUV