Used 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

2004 hyundai Sante Fe paint problems
By lorie920

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it new in 2004. It has plenty of room for passengers and plenty of cargo room. The car has great power on take off. The biggest issue I have is they use bad paint. These hyundai's are peeling and fading. This in itself is why I won't buy the new 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe.

Favorite Features

The size is perfect for me. It still looks nice (on the inside) after all these years.

Suggested Improvements

Buyer beware! There is a major problem with hyundai's paint. Almost all hyundai owners are having problems with peeling and fading on the body. Hyundai won't do anything about it! Also, the leather seats are very hard, which makes for a very bad traveling experience. Take a few pillows along on the trip. You'll need them. I also had problems with windshield wiper arms rusting out. Until they fix these problems, I'll warn all who consider getting a hyundai to read customer reviews first.

Nine years and 150,000 miles later.....
By cshaw22

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Santa Fe new in 2004. After 150,000 miles, it has spent more time broken than any car I have ever owned. Since new we have replaced the crank sensor 6 times, the throw-out bearing grenaded taking the clutch with it, the radiator disintegrated, the cat converter burned out, the power steering pump shaft broke, etc,etc. The tranny has been solid as many times I was able to restart by downshifting and popping the clutch which made the tranny scream but got me to the house. I bought an extended warranty which paid for itself many times over. It rides and drives great but breaks down too often. No longer my daily driver, but still my beater as it hauls a lot of stuff, when it runs.

Favorite Features

Best seats in any car, ever!!! Large carrying capacity

Reliable, trouble free so far!
By madmaxooohhh

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I just turned 95,000 miles on my 2004 Santa Fe. No problems so far except normal maintenance: windshield wiper blades every 2 years, tires every 4 years-usually worn out by then, change oil every 6 months or 6-7000 miles for conventional or 7-10000 miles on synthetic. I changed the transmission oil twice (drain and fill) at 40k miles, and again at 80k miles). Oh, I changed both front bulbs after one of the bulbs burned out at around 70k miles. Replaced front and rear brakes and rotors at 85k miles. I will do the timing belt sometime soon. No problems! Best car I have owned so far.

Favorite Features

Very reliable SUV, that has not failed me yet.

Suggested Improvements

None so far. Gas mileage is average so far.

What A Lemon!!!!!! I will never own another Hyundai
By kylemack

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had 3 transmissions replaced, timing belt, power window motors replaces... and not to mention all the cheap little plastic parts braking and cheap chrome pealing off. Not only does this tin can want to make me never own another hyundia agian but makes me want to just ride a bike. OH And The Side airbag went off while i was driving down the road, no accident or anything. I called hyundai and they said it would all be out of my pocket to fix and that I should call my insurance and insurance said they cant do anything about it because there was no accident. Hyundai support was a bunch of run arounds and not helpful at all. I will never buy another Hyundai. What a money pit!

Favorite Features

heated seats still work... even though the side air bag is just dangling there... yeah thats about it

Suggested Improvements

buy a car that will last. not a hyundai

I miss my santa fe
By johnpa2006

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Built solid, I loved my Santa Fe. engine purred like a kitten from mile zero all the way up to 142000 miles when I traded it in. Bought in 2004, traded in 2008 I still regret trading it in to this day. So many practical use reasons to own a Santa Fe.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable ride, bumps in the road, what bumps you dont feel them. Handled a few really bad snow storms and it was only the FWD version, with good tires on it will get traction is most conditions. We could load this truck up with a full days shopping at home depot, and still have room for a ton of groceries that my wife picked up. Comfortable ride, decent handling. always reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Enable the rear fog lights (the red lenses integrated into the rear bumpers) that would make it look pretty cool. Fix that little rubber strip at the leading edge of the hood that I see popping out on every santa fe I see on the road. hahah.