2004 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
2004 hyundai Sante Fe paint problems
By lorie920 on 09/14/13 12:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it new in 2004. It has plenty of room for passengers and plenty of cargo room. The car has great power on take off. The biggest issue I have is they use bad paint. These hyundai's are peeling and fading. This in itself is why I won't buy the new 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe.

Nine years and 150,000 miles later.....
By cshaw22 on 09/04/13 11:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Santa Fe new in 2004. After 150,000 miles, it has spent more time broken than any car I have ever owned. Since new we have replaced the crank sensor 6 times, the throw-out bearing grenaded taking the clutch with it, the radiator disintegrated, the cat converter burned out, the power steering pump shaft broke, etc,etc. The tranny has been solid as many times I was able to restart by downshifting and popping the clutch which made the tranny scream but got me to the house. I bought an extended warranty which paid for itself many times over. It rides and drives great but breaks down too often. No longer my daily driver, but still my beater as it hauls a lot of stuff, when it runs.

Reliable, trouble free so far!
By madmaxooohhh on 02/04/13 13:05 PM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I just turned 95,000 miles on my 2004 Santa Fe. No problems so far except normal maintenance: windshield wiper blades every 2 years, tires every 4 years-usually worn out by then, change oil every 6 months or 6-7000 miles for conventional or 7-10000 miles on synthetic. I changed the transmission oil twice (drain and fill) at 40k miles, and again at 80k miles). Oh, I changed both front bulbs after one of the bulbs burned out at around 70k miles. Replaced front and rear brakes and rotors at 85k miles. I will do the timing belt sometime soon. No problems! Best car I have owned so far.

What A Lemon!!!!!! I will never own another Hyundai
By kylemack on 11/07/12 08:28 AM (PST)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had 3 transmissions replaced, timing belt, power window motors replaces... and not to mention all the cheap little plastic parts braking and cheap chrome pealing off. Not only does this tin can want to make me never own another hyundia agian but makes me want to just ride a bike. OH And The Side airbag went off while i was driving down the road, no accident or anything. I called hyundai and they said it would all be out of my pocket to fix and that I should call my insurance and insurance said they cant do anything about it because there was no accident. Hyundai support was a bunch of run arounds and not helpful at all. I will never buy another Hyundai. What a money pit!

I miss my santa fe
By johnpa2006 on 08/09/12 17:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Built solid, I loved my Santa Fe. engine purred like a kitten from mile zero all the way up to 142000 miles when I traded it in. Bought in 2004, traded in 2008 I still regret trading it in to this day. So many practical use reasons to own a Santa Fe.

Love the car - but now it's a beater...
By leftoverchef on 07/25/12 10:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I've had the car since brand new and have loved it. I haven't been too punctual with the routine maintenance (oil changes, etc.) and the car still has performed well (until recently, but more on that later). I made it to 100k miles on the original clutch - which is a record for me. I didn't even replace the timing belt until 110k miles! The only problem I really have had with it has been a faulty clutch pedal sensor when we bought it - and a crank-shaft position sensor that died just before i replaced the timing belt. That said - recently the Catalytic converter broke and the Exhaust manifold cracked - a $2600 repair - but my son will pay that to buy it from me instead!

Chirp has always served me well!
By catt33 on 07/15/11 10:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Yes, I named my Santa Fe "Chirp". It has been a great vehicle. I bought it used in 06 and until this year, only needed routine maintenance (Crank Shaft Sensor went out in March). I just rolled over to 90,000 miles last week and I am looking forward to many more miles with Chirp!

Sensor Issues
By incubritt2010 on 06/26/11 20:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got my Santa Fe with 68,000, and after 4 other lemons before that, I figured this car would be my knight in shining armor. So, naturally, the transmission went out 6 months after I bought it. Now a year and half later, it just wouldn't start one day. Long story short, I've now replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, the Coolant Temperature Sensor, and low and behold, this morning I went to start it and its running crappy still and trying to die on me, obviously not trustworthy. The mechanics are stumped, and so am I. If this happens to you, the code reads, "Fuel temp sensor", get ready for a domino effect of electrical problems that mechanics won't be able to pinpoint.

Best car I've ever had
By Bruce on 08/17/10 17:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My six year old Santa Fe has 150,000 miles on it and it still has the original BF Goodrich tires on it, original front brakes. I replaced the rear pads and rotors in March 2010. I have always used synthetic oil and have had no problems with the engine at all. Average 22 MPG. I have had two problems. I have replaced the headlight and fog light bulbs four or five times, and the car has developed a short in the electronic odometer. Otherwise, I have had no problems with this car and have spent next to nothing on it.

Dead car in middle of freeway
By woman on 06/18/10 15:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

A few days ago my car lost all power while driving on the freeway at night. The car has been acting up now for about 5 months, maybe more. while driving, sometimes, with my foot on the accelerator the car looses all RPM then after about three seconds it comes back to normal. It happens all over, on the freeway to neighborhoods at 10 miles an hour. But A few days ago at night the car did its no RPM thing then died. all lights turned on. And now, two mechanics shops cannot tell what is wrong with it. (one had a reading about transmission) but then the transmission place can't get the same reading.