2003 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Great Value for its Time
By 1956ford on 04/29/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the LX for my wife in Nov 2002. She is 5'2" and loves it. I am 6'2" and it is great around town, bit of a challenge on all-day drives. Been to Colorado skiing in 2x and it is great in the mountains. MPG could be more, but the feds killed it with crappy ethanol (insane idea to use food for fuel). Get 18 or 19 mpg around town, stop and go. Interstate driving nets 26+ at 70-80mph. (Ours is the 4 spd auto.) Downside has been recent - right side lock is failing. The radio is poor on AM (had the antenna replaced once) and the radio display is on/off intermittently. I've used all BG products and done careful maintenance - Santa Fe should go to 150K easily.

My white 2003 FWD LX
By Jayson on 12/28/08 19:50 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I thought that after living with a car for 5 years since being purchased brand new it would be a good assessment of how it would perform day in and day out. In one word "excellent". The only things I've done besides normal maintenance were to change the battery & the license plate lights! Even the BF Goodrich tires managed to hold up with tread left at 77,000 but I figure it was time to replace them with another set. I managed about 25mpg overall but admit not to being a fast driver. The only wear and tear was the paint for some reason coming off of all the 5 doorhandles. I would guess the paint is on the thin side. Would I do it all over again? Without a doubt, I love this car!

No Problems with My Santa Fe
By Stephen Gons on 12/04/07 07:00 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Hyundai new as my first car and other than routine oil changes and 30 and 60,000 mile services....I have had no problems at all. It runs great and drives well in all types of weather conditions. I would love to get a newer one, I love the new body style better.

Lots of Extras however, they are cheap
By carlweber on 03/25/07 16:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

At 101K miles I had the following problems: The ignition failed on the care at 70k I had that replaced. The radio failed. The left side window had to be replaced. My keyless entry paid rusted out. They said it fell in the water. Other then that it has been normal stuff.

2003 LX Santa Fe FWD only
By Rey on 03/03/07 07:43 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was first leary of buying another Hyundai since we've owned an 1989 and 1993 Sonata that were problem childs. The long warranty brought me back as well as leasing incase I wanted to walk away. I am here to tell all that we have had excellent reliability average about 22 to 23 in mixed driving and close to 26 on highway driving at 75MPG. The 2.7 V6 engine seems stronger at greater speeds. I think it's because of being a 24 valve engine. The stereo is great, the cargo capacity is excellent. We still have the original tires. Two drawbacks: The timing belt and spark plugs need to be changed at 60000. Plugs require dealer to change at a cost of $250 because of a design flaw with intake.

Bang for buck
By paul peterson on 11/29/06 06:55 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my sante fe for over three years. In that time, I have had virtually no problems. I think that the quality is good, the ride is smooth and the price is right.

Santa Fe - Top Performer
By James Clarke on 03/05/06 09:28 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great car. No problems and assembly and finish are flawless. Gas mileage is poor and steering tends to be a bit heavy. Aside from this a great family and trip car.

Great car
By Dave on 12/05/05 08:44 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have really enjoyed owning my Santa Fe. It combines the ease of driving of a car with the roominess and storage of an SUV. I can't say too much bad about it and I would definitely buy another.

Santa Fe
By TFWoj on 11/10/05 16:16 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This is my favorite vehicle that I have owned and I am 62. I have had no mechanical problem of any kind. The leather interior is nice and the radio sound is excellent. Only concern would be the transmission is a little jerky.

Great SUV with good gas mileage !
By merkyman2003 on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV with good gas mileage. The Santa Fe has exceeded the expectations and continues to perform without flaw. This is a tough little SUV, and it's not really made for serious off-road use. It's a comfortable car for larger sized people, most foreign automakers are made for smaller size of people, which makes it hard for most large American car buyers. This one's a keeper, so you'll just have to find out for yourself, why these SUV's may just be one of the better keep secrets. But do not let anyone know just how good they are! Then the Hyundai Santa Fe will be a vechicle that everyone will be wanting and others will copy.