Used 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Great Value for its Time
By 1956ford

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the LX for my wife in Nov 2002. She is 5'2" and loves it. I am 6'2" and it is great around town, bit of a challenge on all-day drives. Been to Colorado skiing in 2x and it is great in the mountains. MPG could be more, but the feds killed it with crappy ethanol (insane idea to use food for fuel). Get 18 or 19 mpg around town, stop and go. Interstate driving nets 26+ at 70-80mph. (Ours is the 4 spd auto.) Downside has been recent - right side lock is failing. The radio is poor on AM (had the antenna replaced once) and the radio display is on/off intermittently. I've used all BG products and done careful maintenance - Santa Fe should go to 150K easily.

Favorite Features

For a small SUV, plenty of space e.g., hauled a huge leather recliner home we found on side of road. Took the kitchen sink skiing with us. Warranty great - replaced rear brake rotors early on as well as antenna when it failed.

Suggested Improvements

The new Hyundai's have them now: - 6 speed auto or manual transmissions

My white 2003 FWD LX
By Jayson

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I thought that after living with a car for 5 years since being purchased brand new it would be a good assessment of how it would perform day in and day out. In one word "excellent". The only things I've done besides normal maintenance were to change the battery & the license plate lights! Even the BF Goodrich tires managed to hold up with tread left at 77,000 but I figure it was time to replace them with another set. I managed about 25mpg overall but admit not to being a fast driver. The only wear and tear was the paint for some reason coming off of all the 5 doorhandles. I would guess the paint is on the thin side. Would I do it all over again? Without a doubt, I love this car!

Favorite Features

I love the front flared fenders which make it easy to park because you can see the hood which helps in parallel parking. The size of the sunroof, carlike ride, styling, outstanding reliability, manual shift gate for the auto transmission, & the value!

Suggested Improvements

One touch controls for the sunroof & windows, smart key, rear sliding back window just like on the Toyota 4runner, easier access to the spare tire, fold flat front passenger seat, cooled seats, option for a vinyl interior, option for a diesel engine, & HID and LED lighting.

No Problems with My Santa Fe
By Stephen Gons

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Hyundai new as my first car and other than routine oil changes and 30 and 60,000 mile services....I have had no problems at all. It runs great and drives well in all types of weather conditions. I would love to get a newer one, I love the new body style better.

Favorite Features

Its handling. It drives very smooth, like a car.

Lots of Extras however, they are cheap
By carlweber

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

At 101K miles I had the following problems: The ignition failed on the care at 70k I had that replaced. The radio failed. The left side window had to be replaced. My keyless entry paid rusted out. They said it fell in the water. Other then that it has been normal stuff.

Favorite Features

All the extra add ons for no additional charge

Suggested Improvements

All the additional add ons are cheap.

2003 LX Santa Fe FWD only
By Rey

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was first leary of buying another Hyundai since we've owned an 1989 and 1993 Sonata that were problem childs. The long warranty brought me back as well as leasing incase I wanted to walk away. I am here to tell all that we have had excellent reliability average about 22 to 23 in mixed driving and close to 26 on highway driving at 75MPG. The 2.7 V6 engine seems stronger at greater speeds. I think it's because of being a 24 valve engine. The stereo is great, the cargo capacity is excellent. We still have the original tires. Two drawbacks: The timing belt and spark plugs need to be changed at 60000. Plugs require dealer to change at a cost of $250 because of a design flaw with intake.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity, fuel economy, reliability, stereo, heated seats, storage areas, cargo tray, long running tires

Suggested Improvements

New model should equal the gas mileage of original vehicle, maintenance cycle should be extended out to 100,000 or 120,000 miles like the Japanese cars and more do it yourself friendly. Have outside temperature located at the top instead of having to punch a button at the center bottom.