Used 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Bought used last year, 2013
By lg22150

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used last year as a trade with my mini van. When they first pulled it up I was like, um nope. My husband made me test drive and I fell in love. Mine is brown and black, and this thing is awesome. It is by far the best car I have ever owned. Even the first Hyundai I had, swore never to get another. The gas mileage is great. Put $20 in a beginning of work week and no more until Friday or Saturday. Gets me where I need to go.

Favorite Features

Interior, roomy inside. The shape. Sunroof. Radio is ok but husband installed an aftermarket radio and you'd think I have big speakers in there.

Suggested Improvements

None that I can think of.

Great Used Car for Teens & College!
By mktg64

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2003 Santa Fe with 125K GLS 2.7L for my son his senior year of HS, he took it to college...had to replace a rear trailing arm & a coroded battery cable, other than that I did the timing belt, plugs & wires, new tires, and most fluids. GREAT car for the money, love the styling (its now a classic), modern interior, and perfect for teens and college age kids for room and safety. Decent sound system, side airbags and lots of metal, smooth ride and quiet engine...you can do a lot worse, just stay away from the 4-cylinder.

Favorite Features

The Bold Styling - they don't make 'em like that anymore (well at least since 2006) - and the safety.

Suggested Improvements

Spark plugs are costly to replace due to labor of having to remove manifold...paint on mirrors peeling, but heck its 10+ years old now!

I love my 2003 Hyundai Santa FE GLS 2.7 liter
By suvmama

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Santa FE brand new. I now have 175000 miles on it. I have had its maintenance done regularly which has included the timing and serpentine belt twice, replaced the battery once, 2 sets of front brake pads, 1 set of rear brakes pads, and replaced one set of tires. This has been absolutely worth the money I have spent for the car. Some of the 'problems' that other reviewers have posted are not problems but regular maintenance items. Everything thing wears out people and may need to be replaced! Some of the fuel economy issues can also be attributed to poor fuel quality. If you put crap gas in your car it will cause problems first with poor mpg's then eventually emission issues.

Favorite Features

The 2.7 liter V6 is powerful for what it is. If you need the extra get up and go all you have to do is throw it in the shift mode and shift the gears yourself.

Suggested Improvements

The only issue I have had with my Santa FE is the paint. Hyundai this is where you failed! Almost every 2001-2004 Santa FE, Tiburon and Elantra has faded, peeling clear coat which led to bad paint.

2003 Santa Fe LX 2.7
By sbraatz

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought it with 60,000 miles. We had a couple of minor issues right of the bat that the dealer didn't want to handle. I did replace the plugs and wires twice within the first two years because of the same problem. It was a little time consuming but not impossible. Definately cheaper then taking it into the dealer. Other then that it has been very reliable. Gas mileage could be a little better. I think we average around 17-18mpg. We orignally bought it because we were told it could handle a boat. Later found it the towing capacity wasn't great. But would definately buy another one.

Major repairs on used purchase
By rhonda28

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used a 1 1/2 yrs ago and had nothing but problems. Major cost to fix each problem. The front and rear catalytic converter had to be replaced as I could not get speed over 25 mph. On trip 2 hrs away from my home a month ago and the car just shut down on me. This past week belt which controls the a/c condenser and power steering just completely broke. Now I need a a/c condenser which is over $1000. NEVER will buy a Hyundai again.