2003 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Bought used last year, 2013
By lg22150 on 03/27/14 14:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used last year as a trade with my mini van. When they first pulled it up I was like, um nope. My husband made me test drive and I fell in love. Mine is brown and black, and this thing is awesome. It is by far the best car I have ever owned. Even the first Hyundai I had, swore never to get another. The gas mileage is great. Put $20 in a beginning of work week and no more until Friday or Saturday. Gets me where I need to go.

Great Used Car for Teens & College!
By mktg64 on 03/01/13 19:36 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2003 Santa Fe with 125K GLS 2.7L for my son his senior year of HS, he took it to college...had to replace a rear trailing arm & a coroded battery cable, other than that I did the timing belt, plugs & wires, new tires, and most fluids. GREAT car for the money, love the styling (its now a classic), modern interior, and perfect for teens and college age kids for room and safety. Decent sound system, side airbags and lots of metal, smooth ride and quiet engine...you can do a lot worse, just stay away from the 4-cylinder.

I love my 2003 Hyundai Santa FE GLS 2.7 liter
By suvmama on 11/05/12 20:17 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Santa FE brand new. I now have 175000 miles on it. I have had its maintenance done regularly which has included the timing and serpentine belt twice, replaced the battery once, 2 sets of front brake pads, 1 set of rear brakes pads, and replaced one set of tires. This has been absolutely worth the money I have spent for the car. Some of the 'problems' that other reviewers have posted are not problems but regular maintenance items. Everything thing wears out people and may need to be replaced! Some of the fuel economy issues can also be attributed to poor fuel quality. If you put crap gas in your car it will cause problems first with poor mpg's then eventually emission issues.

2003 Santa Fe LX 2.7
By sbraatz on 07/09/11 17:43 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I bought it with 60,000 miles. We had a couple of minor issues right of the bat that the dealer didn't want to handle. I did replace the plugs and wires twice within the first two years because of the same problem. It was a little time consuming but not impossible. Definately cheaper then taking it into the dealer. Other then that it has been very reliable. Gas mileage could be a little better. I think we average around 17-18mpg. We orignally bought it because we were told it could handle a boat. Later found it the towing capacity wasn't great. But would definately buy another one.

Major repairs on used purchase
By rhonda28 on 06/18/11 12:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle used a 1 1/2 yrs ago and had nothing but problems. Major cost to fix each problem. The front and rear catalytic converter had to be replaced as I could not get speed over 25 mph. On trip 2 hrs away from my home a month ago and the car just shut down on me. This past week belt which controls the a/c condenser and power steering just completely broke. Now I need a a/c condenser which is over $1000. NEVER will buy a Hyundai again.

Great Value for its Time
By 1956ford on 04/29/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe LX Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the LX for my wife in Nov 2002. She is 5'2" and loves it. I am 6'2" and it is great around town, bit of a challenge on all-day drives. Been to Colorado skiing in 2x and it is great in the mountains. MPG could be more, but the feds killed it with crappy ethanol (insane idea to use food for fuel). Get 18 or 19 mpg around town, stop and go. Interstate driving nets 26+ at 70-80mph. (Ours is the 4 spd auto.) Downside has been recent - right side lock is failing. The radio is poor on AM (had the antenna replaced once) and the radio display is on/off intermittently. I've used all BG products and done careful maintenance - Santa Fe should go to 150K easily.

hyundai santa fail
By marcelo1977 on 12/11/10 06:55 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

i bought this car used and since day one had problems with, just to list some, alignment problems, socks and springs noisy, transfer case shot in the middle of the highway at 75 mph. 4wd does not work as god as gm cars. parts are costy like honda and toyota. if you like to work on fixing cars, buy an hyundai sant-a-fail.

Great car!
By Lnix on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my car for over 7 years now. At 128k miles I can honestly say it's been a great car. This was my first new car to own and haven't had many problems. I had to get new tires at about 70k miles. I changed the battery once and only had to get regular maintenance work done to the brakes because of the wear and tear. Haven't had to put much money into it. I just wish I had gotten AWD because it doesn't handle all that great in bad snow.

Problems
By margie weber on 08/30/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe Fwd 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Even though my son was very good about all of its maintenance checks and oil changes, etc. Hyundai was not good about the warranty coverage and making sure that a certain problem should be taken care of immediately. Now at 53,000, the engine was shot, and it took the extended warranty company Zurich 6 weeks to have it replaced. Now I have a gas line problem which was also noted back in 2005, that was not taken care of and again I have been without my vehicle for two weeks.

Maintenance was clearly an afterthought!
By Wavy Dave on 06/30/10 19:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Fwd 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Santa Fe new in 2003. Currently have about 69,000 miles on it. Several issues over the last year including, replacing alternator, gas regulator valve, gas return line. A/C cuts on/off going over bumps. Drivers side window is on its last legs. Rear bearings, emergency brake. While the initial purchase price was very good, you wind up paying for maintenance in the long term. Clearly Hyundai engineers did not take maintenance into consideration. Simple things like a spark plug change have to be brought to dealer because the process is very complex. Dealer quoted $520 for new PVC valve, plugs and wires. Currently, I'm lucky if I average 12-13 mpg.