Used 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 251 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Good Truck
By Adman

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used @ 96k. Towing capacity is awful. Can pull a 13ft Boler travel trailer. Had continuous problem with rear brakes overheating. New calipers fixed it. Transmission cooler and power steering lines both rusted through @ 220k. Replaced tires 190k, Tie rods 215k, timing belt 190k, alternator 150k, crank sensor 120k. Malfunctions of rear wiper, drivers seat belt latch, passenger power lock, screws in driver window shook lose and window fell out. Currently it needs new shocks, and the diff. seal leaks. Other than that it still has lots of life, looks great and has 251,000k on it. I'd have to say after 250k that's not to bad. However, I'd like my old Safari van back. Less $ loss.

Interior, Style

Love this car!
By Kath

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have 165000 miles and love it as the day I bought it! Changed the timing belt every 60000 miles and all I've changed is the alternator at 130000. Regular oil changes, tires wear well (yeah! Goodrich Long Trails). Goes through 2 ft snow without difficulty handles great with shiftronic! The price is now too high and auto has changed so can't afford another! Sob! It's still going strong so not to worry yet. Great car! Well built,I feel very safe driving it in any weather.

Shiftronic, body style, handling in snow, traction control, antilock brakes, 16" tires!!!

Gas mileage could be better. Disappointed in changes to Sante Fe 2007 and 2008. No the same "fun" car.

Mixed reactions
By Phil

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle drives well. It accelerates well from a stop and has a fair amount of power in its engine. Fuel economy is about 20 MPG in the city and 27 on the highway. The ride is comfortable and reasonably smooth. However, maintenance is difficult for this vehicle. You must remove an intake manifold from the engine in order to change all spark plugs. The front suspension is set up so the ball joints and control arms are held in place against the weight of the car, so that it will collapse if one breaks, we recently found out the hard way. It will cost about $800 to fix this. Reliability and maintenance are sometimes issues for this vehicle.

I like the way the exterior is aesthetically-pleasing. I also like how the ride is comfortable. Acceleration is also very nice. It's like the car wants to go fast once you get it started. The traction control that it has is also good for driving in snow, even though ours is only two wheel drive.

Routine-maintenance items like the spark plugs and fuel filter should be easier to get to. They should re-design the front suspension so it won't collapse when a ball joint breaks. I think the clock should be on the dash, not above the windshield, where you have to look up out of the way to see it.

love my car
By shawna

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Santa Fe, but it has had a few problems I have had to replace the battery on it 4 times the brakes 2 times the timing chain, and pvc valves and 3 gas caps, and tires 2 times. I'm going to have to have it fixed again as the check engine light is back on and wont go off. Safety though in this car is wonderful I have been in 2 big accidents in it and no one in my car was hurt.

fix the gas cap issues. I also agree that the driver seat needs to go back further. And the back seats need to lay flat with out having to take the head rest off.

Multiple Problems
By Lauren81M

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The second day I had it I took it on a long trip to Florida and the AC froze up after 2 hours. I got no support from the dealer of course. I've replaced compressor, checked for leaks, replaced sensors...nothing works, can't take it on trips longer than 2 hours when I need AC. Also have had to replace O2 sensor 3 times. Was in shop for almost 3 months straight when I first bought it. Warranty is not transferable if bought used. Would never buy one ever again.

Is fun to drive when it's working.

Better quality parts. Transferable warranty. Dealer who stands behind its company's vehicles.