Used 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Mixed reactions
By Phil

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle drives well. It accelerates well from a stop and has a fair amount of power in its engine. Fuel economy is about 20 MPG in the city and 27 on the highway. The ride is comfortable and reasonably smooth. However, maintenance is difficult for this vehicle. You must remove an intake manifold from the engine in order to change all spark plugs. The front suspension is set up so the ball joints and control arms are held in place against the weight of the car, so that it will collapse if one breaks, we recently found out the hard way. It will cost about $800 to fix this. Reliability and maintenance are sometimes issues for this vehicle.

I like the way the exterior is aesthetically-pleasing. I also like how the ride is comfortable. Acceleration is also very nice. It's like the car wants to go fast once you get it started. The traction control that it has is also good for driving in snow, even though ours is only two wheel drive.

Routine-maintenance items like the spark plugs and fuel filter should be easier to get to. They should re-design the front suspension so it won't collapse when a ball joint breaks. I think the clock should be on the dash, not above the windshield, where you have to look up out of the way to see it.

love my car
By shawna

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Santa Fe, but it has had a few problems I have had to replace the battery on it 4 times the brakes 2 times the timing chain, and pvc valves and 3 gas caps, and tires 2 times. I'm going to have to have it fixed again as the check engine light is back on and wont go off. Safety though in this car is wonderful I have been in 2 big accidents in it and no one in my car was hurt.

fix the gas cap issues. I also agree that the driver seat needs to go back further. And the back seats need to lay flat with out having to take the head rest off.

Multiple Problems
By Lauren81M

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The second day I had it I took it on a long trip to Florida and the AC froze up after 2 hours. I got no support from the dealer of course. I've replaced compressor, checked for leaks, replaced sensors...nothing works, can't take it on trips longer than 2 hours when I need AC. Also have had to replace O2 sensor 3 times. Was in shop for almost 3 months straight when I first bought it. Warranty is not transferable if bought used. Would never buy one ever again.

Is fun to drive when it's working.

Better quality parts. Transferable warranty. Dealer who stands behind its company's vehicles.

My Hyundai Rocks
By Mac10

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Hyundai is not what they used to be. They are reliable! My first was a 1995 Accent; my husband drove the car until June, 2008. When Big Red finished, she had 159,000 miles! That type of reliable made me a loyal Hyundai customer! I bought my Santa Fe in 2002. I call her Lucille, and she still looks as good when I drove her off the lot! I wouldn't trade my Hyundai in for anything else! We just bought a 2008 Sonata!

warranty does not matter
By margot

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased a Hyundai because of the warranty. However, everything major that could go wrong with the car did (transmission, power steering, axle) and continued after the bumper to bumper warranty expired. Most of the Hyundai dealers closed, so you have to drive 15 miles to service a vehicle under warranty. Not a good sign. Also, the dealer I serviced it at, L.A. City Hyundai, would not cooperate with the manufacturer when warranty issues arose. I would never buy a Hyundai, regardless of the price or how long the warranty is. The aggravation of breaking down and having to pay for a rental car and waiting days for a part is not worth any warranty. I need a car that is reliable.