Used 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Santa-fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Most Helpful|
Could have been built better
By pfehrman

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The assumption that a car must be good based on a 100,000 mile warranty is faulty; especially when it does not transfer to a new owner. I purchased this vehicle from a dealer, used, and then was told it needed $2,000.00 worth of required maintenance to keep from voiding the warranty. After that I had constant problems with the brakes, and transmission. Coming back from Florida one time, the car began to buck and jerk for more than 400 miles. We took it to a couple of places and were told that it was a transmission sensor. After paying many hundreds of dollars for repairs, we still are having transmission type issues, along with a brake fluid leak, and other continued brake issues.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Better built car. Mechanically, it stinks, and the exterior scratches way too easily. The car was not worth the money spent on it.

Poor Workmanship
By thand

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was thrilled with my Hyundai until the clear coat started peeling off the hatch door and the drivers side mirror as well as rusting on the drivers side mirror. The wiper arms are rusting as well and I have just over 60,000 miles on my car. To me this is lousy workmanship. most of the time my car was parked in a garage at work so was only in the elements for limited amount of time. I have never owned a car in which the clear coat peeled. My daughter who also has a Hyundai is having the same problem. I did some research and found out that even some of the 2012 models had the same problem. This is why I would never buy another Hyundai product.

Favorite Features

Power windows.

Suggested Improvements

The power package should come with power seats as well. Fix the paint issue with your cars.

Love
By Vanessa Carpenter

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Hyundai Santa Fe I have had it for about 5 months so far and never have had a problem. I hesitated when buying because I didn't know much about them but I can say I am very glad I choose it. I know all cars have there ups and downs and there are good ones and bad ones. I have to say I got luck I purchased my 2002 with 123,000 miles on it and she has ran perfect for me. One thing I would like to give this car props on is the four wheel drive I go any where in the snow I live in Ohio.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, four wheel drive, size, all of it

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I would suggest is the issue with the fuel cap. If it goes bad or you don't put it on right your engine light will come on. $5 fix for a new cap so nothing to panic about.

Love my Hyundai Santa Fe BASIC 2WD Automatic
By ldamboise

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have 191,000 miles on my 2002 Santa Fe. This is by far the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Only complaint is that this vehicle has an issue with every belt. The timing belt had been replaced 2x and I often had to have other belts replaced or tightened. Failure to do so immediately resulted in a loud squeeling every time I started my car. The good thing is, nothing EXPENSIVE ever went. This car is fun to drive, GREAT Gas Mileage, and cheap to maintain. I am on the road a lot, and I love being in this car. It is so comfortable that my MANY long trips per month (ranging from 2 hours one way to 12 hours one way) are always a breeze. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE

Favorite Features

*Shape, Comfort of Seats *Style, Look * Color * Reliability * For a 2WD vehicle, handles fantastic in the snow. (I live in Maine) * Storage

Suggested Improvements

*Poor Belt Quality *Towing Capability *When putting back the back seats after having down for additional storage, there is a "release" cloth handle that blends in and is easily missed. If you accidentally have the handle fold under the seat it is impossible to lift again because it will stay locked into place. (Luckily my brother-in-law is a mechanic and fixed it free of charge, took him 2 hours)

Good car but not a great one
By Luigi

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The interior comfort and the ride is very good for a low priced mid-size Crossover/SUV. Ample power. Good traction. Decent cargo space, although the rear seat fold-down configuration is burdensome compared to other makes. Reliability is fair. I had to replace parts on this car that I never had to replace on any of my Nissan vehicles (I've had 9 of them!). And my dealer's service is mediocre compared to Nissan. There really is a difference in quality, and I think Nissan is worth the extra money. Considering a Rogue, Murano, or Mazda CX7 when I replace this Santa Fe.

Favorite Features

Decent ride. Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality parts. Easier access to engine for repairs. Rear seat fold- down needs re-design.