Used 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

100,000 miles without a single problem
By fonixkween

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I commute over a mountain and have had to successfully navigate through black ice, snow, steep terrain, suicidal deer, and drunken drivers. My Santa Fe just hit 100,000 miles and I have had ZERO problems. My factory tires lasted 60,000 miles (my friend who drives a European car over the same roads had to get new tires at 30,000 miles). My car has started, dependably, each and every time. It has the power to tackle steep roads (and with the Shiftronic Transmission) it is hell-a-fun to drive. I once raced another friend (who drove a Miata) over the mountain, and my Santa Fe handled the curves better than her little car. Great Car!!! Comfy cloth seats!! I'm so glad I own it.

Favorite Features

I love the Shiftronic -- makes it very fun to drive. My cloth seats are more comfortable than any leather seats I have ever sat on. And they are very durable -- after seven years of kids and dogs, they are immaculate.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior is a bit funky. The newer models look much cleaner.

Great car for the money and tough
By william

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Only problem we have ever had was the visor breaking, other than that nothing. We do change oil and do all the pm to the car. The dealer has been great to deal with as well. Just like with anything take care of it and it will take care of you.

Favorite Features

the back seat leg room

Suggested Improvements

better roof rack

The Best
By Sue Smith

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This auto gave on the average 23 mpg and many times 28 mpg. The comfort and, performance was great for a 6 cyl. vehicle. Will be buying another within 1-2 years!

Favorite Features

No bounce or roughness in the ride at all. Seating was a contour fit that made long driving a pleasure.

Good Truck
By Adman

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used @ 96k. Towing capacity is awful. Can pull a 13ft Boler travel trailer. Had continuous problem with rear brakes overheating. New calipers fixed it. Transmission cooler and power steering lines both rusted through @ 220k. Replaced tires 190k, Tie rods 215k, timing belt 190k, alternator 150k, crank sensor 120k. Malfunctions of rear wiper, drivers seat belt latch, passenger power lock, screws in driver window shook lose and window fell out. Currently it needs new shocks, and the diff. seal leaks. Other than that it still has lots of life, looks great and has 251,000k on it. I'd have to say after 250k that's not to bad. However, I'd like my old Safari van back. Less $ loss.

Favorite Features

Interior, Style

Love this car!
By Kath

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have 165000 miles and love it as the day I bought it! Changed the timing belt every 60000 miles and all I've changed is the alternator at 130000. Regular oil changes, tires wear well (yeah! Goodrich Long Trails). Goes through 2 ft snow without difficulty handles great with shiftronic! The price is now too high and auto has changed so can't afford another! Sob! It's still going strong so not to worry yet. Great car! Well built,I feel very safe driving it in any weather.

Favorite Features

Shiftronic, body style, handling in snow, traction control, antilock brakes, 16" tires!!!

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better. Disappointed in changes to Sante Fe 2007 and 2008. No the same "fun" car.