2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Sort Reviews by

Great Car!
By dgj

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, I love this car. I bought it brand new and was initially concerned about reliability. However, that has turned out to be unfounded. I have 89,000 miles on it after 4 years and have not had any major problems. The car runs smooth. No rattles (surprising for the price range). I had one recurring problem with the air conditioner. Thought it might be a factory problem but think it could have been a dealership problem instead. It kept freezing up. Took them forever to fix that. Then kept getting leaks. I kept telling them but, what do I know, I'm a girl! I think the freezing of lines caused them to dry-rot, causing leaks. They finally fixed it!

Favorite Features

Well made. Great for the money. Smooth ride. No rattles. Pretty quite. Comfortable. A very good car! Still runs the same with 89,000 miles as it did with 5.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning problem, which I believe was just a poor service department at Alcoa, TN Hyundai. I wish the vents for heat & air were better. When on the feet, still blows on the face! I hate that it still blows out in face.

Superb Quality
By Aggie91

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This ugly thing has grown on me. It has been virtually maintenance free. The build quality is superb - I'm really impressed. Its resale value is far underappeciated for the reliability and quality. I will buy more Hyundai products.

Favorite Features

Solid. Strong Engine. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

prefer more German-like interiors. Gas mileage could be better.

santa fe
By santa fe

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am extremely happy with my santa fe I have 70000 miles on it at this time and average atleast 20 mpg. The only thing is the check engine light comes on and off, At this time it has been on for about a month,with no adverse effects.

Favorite Features

No speific favorites all good.

Suggested Improvements

More adjustment on the drivers seat for longer legs.

Hyundai
By Nancy Marsh

we love to take long trips in my Hyundai Santa Fa

Favorite Features

I love the head rest, it fits me just right.

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage

Our Sante Fe
By Gloria

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. It's dependable, has great seating space and carrying space. We travel back and forth to our daughter's home 2 states away often. Our city miles are about 2/3 of our annual mileage. The car is dependable. We never worry about it. Our dealership is very good about service. Since we bought our Sante Fe, several of our family members and friends have purchased one also. We would recommend one to anybody.

Favorite Features

The design in and out, spaciousness and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little better gas mileage.

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 4WD V6
By E Dawes

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a very satisfactory car for me. The features are excellent for the price. It is a bit underpowered for the weight of the vehicle, but Hyundai has corrected that in newer models. The only failure in 5 years has been the interior clock for which a replacement doesn't seem to be available. I am considering purchasing another Santa Fe when I replace my present car.

Favorite Features

Comfort, interior design, size, "extras" for the price

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy

I love my Santa Fe!
By Donna

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle brand new, and from the day I picked it up to this day, it has served me well. I recently had a 60,000 mile check-up, and although it was expensive, I had great feedback from the mechanic who did the work. I have never broken down anywhere, nor have I ever been afraid to take my car on trips. I feel safe in my car, especially being above most other vehicles. I recently replaced my brakes and tires after 60000 miles. Can you imagine that? Brakes that stop and tires that keep on running! When the day comes to retire this wonderful car, you can bet that I will turn right around and replace it with another Santa Fe. I love my Santa Fe! Donna in Sacramento

Favorite Features

What drew my eye to the Santa Fe was the curvy body style. Most SUV's in 2002 were boxy with no sense of style at all...ugly, in fact. I love the cargo holder in the back, and the road kit was a very good thought. I also love where the clock is, by itself and not "lost" in the main front dash.

Suggested Improvements

One improvement would be to have the back window open electronically, rather than manually. If it went inside the panel, that would also be better.

A Dream Vehicle
By WhidbeyIslander

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Our Santa Fe is, without doubt, the best vehicle we have ever owned. Until recently, when a dragging brake manifested itself, there was not so much as a rattle in the car. The Santa Fe's handling is outstanding though the car is a bit underpowered. Service has been beyond excellent at Bellingham Hyundai. The longer we have the car, the more we like it. Fit and finish is superb. About the only improvement which Hyundai could make would be to increase the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Good instruments, heated seats and an excellent warranty.

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage. It should be easily possible to exceed 35 mpg.

will miss ya baby
By macbratt68

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I will be trading in my 02 Santa fe to purchase a 06 Honda Element. This car has been so great I actually feel bad about trading it in. I had planned on driving it into the ground but decided to trade it in before it lost all value. Had a few bumps in begining with dealership- they never lubed on front wheel/brake and it wore out instantly. Dealer always fought over what was covered under warranty.After the first year things were great. So much room my friends were envious. At least they would have been if it didn't say HYUNDAI on the back. Can't shake that 'cheap' stigma even though its a 22k car. Not sure I would ever buy another.

Favorite Features

lots of room inside, awd, styling, great warranty (if dealers would let you use it)

Suggested Improvements

less warranty haggling at dealerships, V6 engine seemed week. Check quality of car before you put it on the lot.

A piece of garbage !
By Phil533

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Save your money. I've had this car for less than 4 years and I've had the following problems : 1) Cruise control unit replaced. 2) Sunroof leaked 3 times. 3) Power steering pump replaced 4) Fuel sending unit replaced. 5) radio replaced. 6) Rear sway bar bushings replaced. 7) ABS pump replaced 8) Leaking transaxle This piece of junk has lousy resale value, has been in the shop more than its been on the road and the cost of preventative maintance is unbelievable. $500 for spark plugs ???? I have spent a fortune taking care of this car and it is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Build a quality vehicle !!