2002 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Hyundai
By Nancy Marsh on 09/18/06 09:17 AM (PDT)

we love to take long trips in my Hyundai Santa Fa

Our Sante Fe
By Gloria on 09/07/06 10:32 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. It's dependable, has great seating space and carrying space. We travel back and forth to our daughter's home 2 states away often. Our city miles are about 2/3 of our annual mileage. The car is dependable. We never worry about it. Our dealership is very good about service. Since we bought our Sante Fe, several of our family members and friends have purchased one also. We would recommend one to anybody.

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 4WD V6
By E Dawes on 09/02/06 10:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a very satisfactory car for me. The features are excellent for the price. It is a bit underpowered for the weight of the vehicle, but Hyundai has corrected that in newer models. The only failure in 5 years has been the interior clock for which a replacement doesn't seem to be available. I am considering purchasing another Santa Fe when I replace my present car.

I love my Santa Fe!
By Donna on 08/10/06 15:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle brand new, and from the day I picked it up to this day, it has served me well. I recently had a 60,000 mile check-up, and although it was expensive, I had great feedback from the mechanic who did the work. I have never broken down anywhere, nor have I ever been afraid to take my car on trips. I feel safe in my car, especially being above most other vehicles. I recently replaced my brakes and tires after 60000 miles. Can you imagine that? Brakes that stop and tires that keep on running! When the day comes to retire this wonderful car, you can bet that I will turn right around and replace it with another Santa Fe. I love my Santa Fe! Donna in Sacramento

A Dream Vehicle
By WhidbeyIslander on 07/21/06 22:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Our Santa Fe is, without doubt, the best vehicle we have ever owned. Until recently, when a dragging brake manifested itself, there was not so much as a rattle in the car. The Santa Fe's handling is outstanding though the car is a bit underpowered. Service has been beyond excellent at Bellingham Hyundai. The longer we have the car, the more we like it. Fit and finish is superb. About the only improvement which Hyundai could make would be to increase the gas mileage.

will miss ya baby
By macbratt68 on 06/26/06 12:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I will be trading in my 02 Santa fe to purchase a 06 Honda Element. This car has been so great I actually feel bad about trading it in. I had planned on driving it into the ground but decided to trade it in before it lost all value. Had a few bumps in begining with dealership- they never lubed on front wheel/brake and it wore out instantly. Dealer always fought over what was covered under warranty.After the first year things were great. So much room my friends were envious. At least they would have been if it didn't say HYUNDAI on the back. Can't shake that 'cheap' stigma even though its a 22k car. Not sure I would ever buy another.

A piece of garbage !
By Phil533 on 05/03/06 21:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Save your money. I've had this car for less than 4 years and I've had the following problems : 1) Cruise control unit replaced. 2) Sunroof leaked 3 times. 3) Power steering pump replaced 4) Fuel sending unit replaced. 5) radio replaced. 6) Rear sway bar bushings replaced. 7) ABS pump replaced 8) Leaking transaxle This piece of junk has lousy resale value, has been in the shop more than its been on the road and the cost of preventative maintance is unbelievable. $500 for spark plugs ???? I have spent a fortune taking care of this car and it is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Good Choice
By Santa Fe on 03/28/06 15:57 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

For the cost, the Hyundai is a great car. It runs like a car rather than a truck. It handles well, and is very reliable. I am about to trade in for a 2006 model.

Good and Bad Experience
By Calvin on 12/02/05 16:41 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car brand new which was a big mistake but oh well, live and learn. Our Sante Fe currently has 85K miles and is a strong and comfortable runner. It drives nice and has a solid feel to the car, Hyundai has definitely improved the quality of their vehicles since they were introduced to the U.S. I was very sceptical about buying one except for the excellent reviews from the car mags. Anyway, it didn't take but about 20k miles before we had a squeaky belt problem which the dealer fixed but it has happened time and time again. Also at the 84K mile mark the transfer case started to leak oil, luckily it was under the warranty and they fixed it no questions asked. I'm selling it now!

Santa Fe regrets...
By garbal on 07/17/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Until recently I loved the Santa Fe, great gas mileage, great looking, good performance... until last year... things started failing, the axles broke... yes broke, within the axle boot, something let go, vehicle wouldn't move. 1 month later, the wheel bearing went, most recently the engine failed... everything within the engine, there wasn't much left of the engine, the service guy said it "grenaded". This left us stranded in the middle of nowhere without a warning. No strange noises, no tell tale warning signs of impending failure... nothing. Shut it off normally then went out to start it and nothing... this thing was seized up, the engine would not turn at all... Now it sits in the shop..