Used 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews - 251 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Bulletproof! - Eulogy to an Old Friend
By lindabinca

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just sold my '02 GLS V6 Santa FeAWD a few days ago.(Feb 2012). I was 2nd owner. It was HANDS DOWN the best car I've ever owned, When I sold it it had 246K!! miles on it, and get this - not a SINGLE rattle or loose panel, etc. inside.
Completely amazing.Unheard of for me who had always owned Ford's. YES I had to repair the engine, tran. etc along the way...but what a trooper! I hesitated before buying it-semed too utilitarian - grew over the years to totally respect its design integrity and heartiness. Went shopping for another-an '07 90k yesterday to replace it-what a DISAPPOINTMENT, SO cheaply made.
Might just have to scout around out there for a low miles'02 again.What happened Hyundai?

Bulletproof 'leather' interior-didn't even realize it was leather until short time ago- very durable, thought it was firm vinyl. RELIABLE - Hearty and durable - 246K miles!!! and still going strong when I sold it. responsive AWD. Excellent visibility. Incredibly well constructed interior.

better exterior paint quality. easier back seat fold down and back seat seatbelts not getting lost in seat. Better sound system! - was always weak.

Best car ive owned, too !
By david300

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 SantaFe in that year brand new.
Its been very reliable and ive babied the car on doing maintenance which i do myself.
It routinely gets a combined 21 MPG with 23 on the Highway at 70 mph.
It is very peppy and in fact, the front tires will spin from a start if you take off real quick.
I upgraded the crummy LongTrail Tires to Michelin LX Tires and went from 225's
to 245's
-- the extra width makes it handle superbly and they dont rub on anything.
The Factory radio / tape/ cd
player went out at 75,000 miles so i went with a new Pioneer from BestBuy.
Other than that, i had a Temperature Sensor go out around 80,000 miles...and thats been it for failures.
Its been good.

Precise handling with the wider tires i put on it. Very good performance from the V-6 motor.

Needs much better factory tires . The ones they put on were noisy and didnt hold up well. The front seat needs to go back alot further for someone over 6' ; I personally moved mine back another 5" for much greater legroom.

Worst Car I ever owned!!
By raalex82

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased my 2002 Santa fe in 2006 I thought I had found a great deal. It had only 45k miles on it with one previous owner. The first couple years were great...then the problems began. At 80k my transmission was replaced. At about 100k everything started leaking from engine coolant to power steering fluid. Then to top it all off I was driving on the freeway 2 days after an oil change and my engine started knocking and I as I was trying to get over to pull off the road it began to smoke. When I popped the hood there was a small engine fire. Needless to say I needed a new engine, but opted to get rid of it. I had already spent close to $5,000 in repairs and was done.

It was roomy for a small SUV.

Love my Hyundai Santa Fe BASIC 2WD Automatic
By ldamboise

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have 191,000 miles on my 2002 Santa Fe. This is by far the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.
Only complaint is that this vehicle has an issue with every belt.
The timing belt had been replaced 2x and I often had to have other belts replaced or tightened.
Failure to do so immediately resulted in a loud squeeling every time I started my car.
The good thing is, nothing EXPENSIVE ever went.

This car is fun to drive, GREAT Gas Mileage, and cheap to maintain.
I am on the road a lot, and I love being in this car.
It is so comfortable that my MANY long trips per month (ranging from 2 hours one way to 12 hours one way) are always a breeze.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE

*Shape, Comfort of Seats *Style, Look * Color * Reliability * For a 2WD vehicle, handles fantastic in the snow. (I live in Maine) * Storage

*Poor Belt Quality *Towing Capability *When putting back the back seats after having down for additional storage, there is a "release" cloth handle that blends in and is easily missed. If you accidentally have the handle fold under the seat it is impossible to lift again because it will stay locked into place. (Luckily my brother-in-law is a mechanic and fixed it free of charge, took him 2 hours)

Best I've ever owned!
By cagaradiogirl

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 02' used as a third owner and had to do a complete overhaul to front end and engine after oil leak showed rings were bad BUT overall, she has been AMAZING for me and at 165,000 miles I've only had to replace the alternator that I actually broke. I drive her from CA to GA 3 times a year and sometimes further. Gas mileage is good for an SUV. Just needed to fix prior owner(s) misuse of her and now I have no problems whatsoever. I'm getting ready to by a Tiburon because of the great results I've had with my Santa Fe.