2002 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Been good to us
By Romic on 01/02/10 04:55 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in Sept. of '01 and overall have been very satisfied. We purchased the extended warranty for a very affordable price and has paid off for us. The 2.7 V6 has plenty of power for a vehicle as heavy as it is and fuel mileage is reasonable at 20 mpg. avg. We have had a few mechanical issues covered mostly under warranty. Both front axles cracked and were replaced, a strange squealing noise from the rear that the dealership fixed but seems to reappear from time to time, the rear hatch door handle release latch sticks in and the door will not latch shut if you don't pull it out by hand. Radio goes on and off itself. This SUV is GREAT in snow with full time 4wd. We're keeping it

GREAT CAR for the money....
By Good Car on 09/18/09 05:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am only 16 years old and this was my first car and I bought a 2002 Hyundai sante fe and I bought it used at 60,000 miles and for about 6,200. I was hoping to get an suv because I have to drive about 2 hours each weekend during the winter through the snow and this car holds up really well, I don't have the all wheel drive version but even just the 2 wheel drive does really well. Its great in snow and rain. Another reason I got this car is because for an suv it has pretty good gas mileage. Its a good car pretty cheap and I love I highly recommend it. The only thing I could complain about is how when I go over 70 the wheel shakes but that has happened since I had the car. But great car!

Could have been built better
By pfehrman on 08/15/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The assumption that a car must be good based on a 100,000 mile warranty is faulty; especially when it does not transfer to a new owner. I purchased this vehicle from a dealer, used, and then was told it needed $2,000.00 worth of required maintenance to keep from voiding the warranty. After that I had constant problems with the brakes, and transmission. Coming back from Florida one time, the car began to buck and jerk for more than 400 miles. We took it to a couple of places and were told that it was a transmission sensor. After paying many hundreds of dollars for repairs, we still are having transmission type issues, along with a brake fluid leak, and other continued brake issues.

100,000 miles without a single problem
By fonixkween on 07/31/09 20:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I commute over a mountain and have had to successfully navigate through black ice, snow, steep terrain, suicidal deer, and drunken drivers. My Santa Fe just hit 100,000 miles and I have had ZERO problems. My factory tires lasted 60,000 miles (my friend who drives a European car over the same roads had to get new tires at 30,000 miles). My car has started, dependably, each and every time. It has the power to tackle steep roads (and with the Shiftronic Transmission) it is hell-a-fun to drive. I once raced another friend (who drove a Miata) over the mountain, and my Santa Fe handled the curves better than her little car. Great Car!!! Comfy cloth seats!! I'm so glad I own it.

Great car for the money and tough
By william on 05/16/09 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Only problem we have ever had was the visor breaking, other than that nothing. We do change oil and do all the pm to the car. The dealer has been great to deal with as well. Just like with anything take care of it and it will take care of you.

The Best
By Sue Smith on 03/24/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This auto gave on the average 23 mpg and many times 28 mpg. The comfort and, performance was great for a 6 cyl. vehicle. Will be buying another within 1-2 years!

Good Truck
By Adman on 02/26/09 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used @ 96k. Towing capacity is awful. Can pull a 13ft Boler travel trailer. Had continuous problem with rear brakes overheating. New calipers fixed it. Transmission cooler and power steering lines both rusted through @ 220k. Replaced tires 190k, Tie rods 215k, timing belt 190k, alternator 150k, crank sensor 120k. Malfunctions of rear wiper, drivers seat belt latch, passenger power lock, screws in driver window shook lose and window fell out. Currently it needs new shocks, and the diff. seal leaks. Other than that it still has lots of life, looks great and has 251,000k on it. I'd have to say after 250k that's not to bad. However, I'd like my old Safari van back. Less $ loss.

Love this car!
By Kath on 11/22/08 15:14 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have 165000 miles and love it as the day I bought it! Changed the timing belt every 60000 miles and all I've changed is the alternator at 130000. Regular oil changes, tires wear well (yeah! Goodrich Long Trails). Goes through 2 ft snow without difficulty handles great with shiftronic! The price is now too high and auto has changed so can't afford another! Sob! It's still going strong so not to worry yet. Great car! Well built,I feel very safe driving it in any weather.

Mixed reactions
By Phil on 10/02/08 22:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle drives well. It accelerates well from a stop and has a fair amount of power in its engine. Fuel economy is about 20 MPG in the city and 27 on the highway. The ride is comfortable and reasonably smooth. However, maintenance is difficult for this vehicle. You must remove an intake manifold from the engine in order to change all spark plugs. The front suspension is set up so the ball joints and control arms are held in place against the weight of the car, so that it will collapse if one breaks, we recently found out the hard way. It will cost about $800 to fix this. Reliability and maintenance are sometimes issues for this vehicle.

love my car
By shawna on 09/16/08 07:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Santa Fe, but it has had a few problems I have had to replace the battery on it 4 times the brakes 2 times the timing chain, and pvc valves and 3 gas caps, and tires 2 times. I'm going to have to have it fixed again as the check engine light is back on and wont go off. Safety though in this car is wonderful I have been in 2 big accidents in it and no one in my car was hurt.