Used 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Love
By Vanessa Carpenter

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Hyundai Santa Fe I have had it for about 5 months so far and never have had a problem. I hesitated when buying because I didn't know much about them but I can say I am very glad I choose it. I know all cars have there ups and downs and there are good ones and bad ones. I have to say I got luck I purchased my 2002 with 123,000 miles on it and she has ran perfect for me. One thing I would like to give this car props on is the four wheel drive I go any where in the snow I live in Ohio.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, four wheel drive, size, all of it

Suggested Improvements

Only thing I would suggest is the issue with the fuel cap. If it goes bad or you don't put it on right your engine light will come on. $5 fix for a new cap so nothing to panic about.

Nice car way to many problems
By bk79

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My first car. Wish it had more power and zip. Live the way it handles. Love the way it looks. When it is actually working I love the car but at 100k miles it all went down hill had to replace power steering pump, fuel injectors both front axles and both front abs speed sensors, rest carrier bearing, the transfer case and the transmission. Between the fuel injectors and the transfer case and transmission all going out with in the last year and a half it was a between $6,000 and $7,000 and the ac broke twice. Would not but another one or recommend the first generation Santa Fe to anyone who doesn't have deep pockets to keep it on the road. All that being said I am sad that I have to get rid of

Favorite Features

Liked the car if I had the money to keep fixing it I would keep the car.

Suggested Improvements

More power and a tree designed transfer case. Better abs system.

Poor Workmanship
By thand

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was thrilled with my Hyundai until the clear coat started peeling off the hatch door and the drivers side mirror as well as rusting on the drivers side mirror. The wiper arms are rusting as well and I have just over 60,000 miles on my car. To me this is lousy workmanship. most of the time my car was parked in a garage at work so was only in the elements for limited amount of time. I have never owned a car in which the clear coat peeled. My daughter who also has a Hyundai is having the same problem. I did some research and found out that even some of the 2012 models had the same problem. This is why I would never buy another Hyundai product.

Favorite Features

Power windows.

Suggested Improvements

The power package should come with power seats as well. Fix the paint issue with your cars.

Bulletproof! - Eulogy to an Old Friend
By lindabinca

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just sold my '02 GLS V6 Santa FeAWD a few days ago.(Feb 2012). I was 2nd owner. It was HANDS DOWN the best car I've ever owned, When I sold it it had 246K!! miles on it, and get this - not a SINGLE rattle or loose panel, etc. inside. Completely amazing.Unheard of for me who had always owned Ford's. YES I had to repair the engine, tran. etc along the way...but what a trooper! I hesitated before buying it-semed too utilitarian - grew over the years to totally respect its design integrity and heartiness. Went shopping for another-an '07 90k yesterday to replace it-what a DISAPPOINTMENT, SO cheaply made. Might just have to scout around out there for a low miles'02 again.What happened Hyundai?

Favorite Features

Bulletproof 'leather' interior-didn't even realize it was leather until short time ago- very durable, thought it was firm vinyl. RELIABLE - Hearty and durable - 246K miles!!! and still going strong when I sold it. responsive AWD. Excellent visibility. Incredibly well constructed interior.

Suggested Improvements

better exterior paint quality. easier back seat fold down and back seat seatbelts not getting lost in seat. Better sound system! - was always weak.

Best car ive owned, too !
By david300

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 SantaFe in that year brand new. Its been very reliable and ive babied the car on doing maintenance which i do myself. It routinely gets a combined 21 MPG with 23 on the Highway at 70 mph. It is very peppy and in fact, the front tires will spin from a start if you take off real quick. I upgraded the crummy LongTrail Tires to Michelin LX Tires and went from 225's to 245's -- the extra width makes it handle superbly and they dont rub on anything. The Factory radio / tape/ cd player went out at 75,000 miles so i went with a new Pioneer from BestBuy. Other than that, i had a Temperature Sensor go out around 80,000 miles...and thats been it for failures. Its been good.

Favorite Features

Precise handling with the wider tires i put on it. Very good performance from the V-6 motor.

Suggested Improvements

Needs much better factory tires . The ones they put on were noisy and didnt hold up well. The front seat needs to go back alot further for someone over 6' ; I personally moved mine back another 5" for much greater legroom.