2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Bulletproof! - Eulogy to an Old Friend
By lindabinca on 02/06/13 16:54 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just sold my '02 GLS V6 Santa FeAWD a few days ago.(Feb 2012). I was 2nd owner. It was HANDS DOWN the best car I've ever owned, When I sold it it had 246K!! miles on it, and get this - not a SINGLE rattle or loose panel, etc. inside. Completely amazing.Unheard of for me who had always owned Ford's. YES I had to repair the engine, tran. etc along the way...but what a trooper! I hesitated before buying it-semed too utilitarian - grew over the years to totally respect its design integrity and heartiness. Went shopping for another-an '07 90k yesterday to replace it-what a DISAPPOINTMENT, SO cheaply made. Might just have to scout around out there for a low miles'02 again.What happened Hyundai?

Best car ive owned, too !
By david300 on 12/30/12 09:26 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 SantaFe in that year brand new. Its been very reliable and ive babied the car on doing maintenance which i do myself. It routinely gets a combined 21 MPG with 23 on the Highway at 70 mph. It is very peppy and in fact, the front tires will spin from a start if you take off real quick. I upgraded the crummy LongTrail Tires to Michelin LX Tires and went from 225's to 245's -- the extra width makes it handle superbly and they dont rub on anything. The Factory radio / tape/ cd player went out at 75,000 miles so i went with a new Pioneer from BestBuy. Other than that, i had a Temperature Sensor go out around 80,000 miles...and thats been it for failures. Its been good.

Worst Car I ever owned!!
By raalex82 on 03/14/12 09:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased my 2002 Santa fe in 2006 I thought I had found a great deal. It had only 45k miles on it with one previous owner. The first couple years were great...then the problems began. At 80k my transmission was replaced. At about 100k everything started leaking from engine coolant to power steering fluid. Then to top it all off I was driving on the freeway 2 days after an oil change and my engine started knocking and I as I was trying to get over to pull off the road it began to smoke. When I popped the hood there was a small engine fire. Needless to say I needed a new engine, but opted to get rid of it. I had already spent close to $5,000 in repairs and was done.

Love my Hyundai Santa Fe BASIC 2WD Automatic
By ldamboise on 01/15/12 00:37 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have 191,000 miles on my 2002 Santa Fe. This is by far the best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Only complaint is that this vehicle has an issue with every belt. The timing belt had been replaced 2x and I often had to have other belts replaced or tightened. Failure to do so immediately resulted in a loud squeeling every time I started my car. The good thing is, nothing EXPENSIVE ever went. This car is fun to drive, GREAT Gas Mileage, and cheap to maintain. I am on the road a lot, and I love being in this car. It is so comfortable that my MANY long trips per month (ranging from 2 hours one way to 12 hours one way) are always a breeze. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE

Best I've ever owned!
By cagaradiogirl on 11/20/11 13:44 PM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 02' used as a third owner and had to do a complete overhaul to front end and engine after oil leak showed rings were bad BUT overall, she has been AMAZING for me and at 165,000 miles I've only had to replace the alternator that I actually broke. I drive her from CA to GA 3 times a year and sometimes further. Gas mileage is good for an SUV. Just needed to fix prior owner(s) misuse of her and now I have no problems whatsoever. I'm getting ready to by a Tiburon because of the great results I've had with my Santa Fe.

Best vehicle I have ever owned
By bert on 08/02/10 22:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Everyone in the deerwoods lauged at me when I left camp to buy my wife this veh. But now 3 of them have one also, yes it's an 02 and finally were waiting for the 2011's I'm 100% sure I will buy another, the only problem we had with ours was a tail light going out, it was fixed 4 yrs ago and now it has 80,000 miles and she wants another so spring we will, I will not even look at another brand, a bad taillight in 9 yrs. Why would I, by far the very best I have ever owned, I'm 50 and I look for comfort when I travel with my wife, just got back from a trip to padre island and round trip was 1802 miles long and I was fine the whole trip, I hope this will help

Losing my Santa Fe hurts!
By Ellen on 06/16/10 16:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Of all of the vehicles that I have ever owned and/or driven I would choose my Santa Fe. I bought it new in 2002 and it was totaled in an accident with my 20 yr old driving in May 2010. There were 5 people in the car when the accident happened and other than bruises (seat belt & my daughter's knee hit the dash) they were all fine. I always felt very safe driving/letting my daughter drive it. The car was reliable, fun, comfortable and could carry almost anything that I could possibly bring home including some huge rocks that I absolutely had to have. I was absolutely devastated when they told me that it was totaled! I would have driven this car for a long time yet. Boohoo, I miss my Santa Fe!

not happy
By 2002 hyundai santa f on 04/25/10 14:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

my hyundai santa fe stopped running in 2006 and i had to have almost three thousand dollars worth of work done on it in which the hyundai dealer ship did not honner the waranty. 2009 it stop running again, this time it cost five hundred dollars. now 2010 its not running again. same thing wrong with it. i am a older lady that has always taken care of my cars and just wanted something i did NOT have to keep putting money into,and also i can't afford to get it fixed so here i am without a car to drive.the body and the interior look like new.this has not been a dependable car and i would never buy another one again and would never sell the idea to anyone else. VERY UNHAPPY!!!

Good car but not a great one
By Luigi on 04/21/10 21:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The interior comfort and the ride is very good for a low priced mid-size Crossover/SUV. Ample power. Good traction. Decent cargo space, although the rear seat fold-down configuration is burdensome compared to other makes. Reliability is fair. I had to replace parts on this car that I never had to replace on any of my Nissan vehicles (I've had 9 of them!). And my dealer's service is mediocre compared to Nissan. There really is a difference in quality, and I think Nissan is worth the extra money. Considering a Rogue, Murano, or Mazda CX7 when I replace this Santa Fe.

Been good to us
By Romic on 01/02/10 04:55 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV GLS AWD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased new in Sept. of '01 and overall have been very satisfied. We purchased the extended warranty for a very affordable price and has paid off for us. The 2.7 V6 has plenty of power for a vehicle as heavy as it is and fuel mileage is reasonable at 20 mpg. avg. We have had a few mechanical issues covered mostly under warranty. Both front axles cracked and were replaced, a strange squealing noise from the rear that the dealership fixed but seems to reappear from time to time, the rear hatch door handle release latch sticks in and the door will not latch shut if you don't pull it out by hand. Radio goes on and off itself. This SUV is GREAT in snow with full time 4wd. We're keeping it