2002 Hyundai Santa Fe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:
Best car ive owned, too !
By david300 on 12/30/12 09:26 AM (PST)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 SantaFe in that year brand new. Its been very reliable and ive babied the car on doing maintenance which i do myself. It routinely gets a combined 21 MPG with 23 on the Highway at 70 mph. It is very peppy and in fact, the front tires will spin from a start if you take off real quick. I upgraded the crummy LongTrail Tires to Michelin LX Tires and went from 225's to 245's -- the extra width makes it handle superbly and they dont rub on anything. The Factory radio / tape/ cd player went out at 75,000 miles so i went with a new Pioneer from BestBuy. Other than that, i had a Temperature Sensor go out around 80,000 miles...and thats been it for failures. Its been good.

Best vehicle I have ever owned
By bert on 08/02/10 22:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Everyone in the deerwoods lauged at me when I left camp to buy my wife this veh. But now 3 of them have one also, yes it's an 02 and finally were waiting for the 2011's I'm 100% sure I will buy another, the only problem we had with ours was a tail light going out, it was fixed 4 yrs ago and now it has 80,000 miles and she wants another so spring we will, I will not even look at another brand, a bad taillight in 9 yrs. Why would I, by far the very best I have ever owned, I'm 50 and I look for comfort when I travel with my wife, just got back from a trip to padre island and round trip was 1802 miles long and I was fine the whole trip, I hope this will help

Good car but not a great one
By Luigi on 04/21/10 21:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The interior comfort and the ride is very good for a low priced mid-size Crossover/SUV. Ample power. Good traction. Decent cargo space, although the rear seat fold-down configuration is burdensome compared to other makes. Reliability is fair. I had to replace parts on this car that I never had to replace on any of my Nissan vehicles (I've had 9 of them!). And my dealer's service is mediocre compared to Nissan. There really is a difference in quality, and I think Nissan is worth the extra money. Considering a Rogue, Murano, or Mazda CX7 when I replace this Santa Fe.

GREAT CAR for the money....
By Good Car on 09/18/09 05:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am only 16 years old and this was my first car and I bought a 2002 Hyundai sante fe and I bought it used at 60,000 miles and for about 6,200. I was hoping to get an suv because I have to drive about 2 hours each weekend during the winter through the snow and this car holds up really well, I don't have the all wheel drive version but even just the 2 wheel drive does really well. Its great in snow and rain. Another reason I got this car is because for an suv it has pretty good gas mileage. Its a good car pretty cheap and I love I highly recommend it. The only thing I could complain about is how when I go over 70 the wheel shakes but that has happened since I had the car. But great car!

Could have been built better
By pfehrman on 08/15/09 21:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The assumption that a car must be good based on a 100,000 mile warranty is faulty; especially when it does not transfer to a new owner. I purchased this vehicle from a dealer, used, and then was told it needed $2,000.00 worth of required maintenance to keep from voiding the warranty. After that I had constant problems with the brakes, and transmission. Coming back from Florida one time, the car began to buck and jerk for more than 400 miles. We took it to a couple of places and were told that it was a transmission sensor. After paying many hundreds of dollars for repairs, we still are having transmission type issues, along with a brake fluid leak, and other continued brake issues.

100,000 miles without a single problem
By fonixkween on 07/31/09 20:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I commute over a mountain and have had to successfully navigate through black ice, snow, steep terrain, suicidal deer, and drunken drivers. My Santa Fe just hit 100,000 miles and I have had ZERO problems. My factory tires lasted 60,000 miles (my friend who drives a European car over the same roads had to get new tires at 30,000 miles). My car has started, dependably, each and every time. It has the power to tackle steep roads (and with the Shiftronic Transmission) it is hell-a-fun to drive. I once raced another friend (who drove a Miata) over the mountain, and my Santa Fe handled the curves better than her little car. Great Car!!! Comfy cloth seats!! I'm so glad I own it.

Great car for the money and tough
By william on 05/16/09 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Only problem we have ever had was the visor breaking, other than that nothing. We do change oil and do all the pm to the car. The dealer has been great to deal with as well. Just like with anything take care of it and it will take care of you.

The Best
By Sue Smith on 03/24/09 17:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This auto gave on the average 23 mpg and many times 28 mpg. The comfort and, performance was great for a 6 cyl. vehicle. Will be buying another within 1-2 years!

Mixed reactions
By Phil on 10/02/08 22:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle drives well. It accelerates well from a stop and has a fair amount of power in its engine. Fuel economy is about 20 MPG in the city and 27 on the highway. The ride is comfortable and reasonably smooth. However, maintenance is difficult for this vehicle. You must remove an intake manifold from the engine in order to change all spark plugs. The front suspension is set up so the ball joints and control arms are held in place against the weight of the car, so that it will collapse if one breaks, we recently found out the hard way. It will cost about $800 to fix this. Reliability and maintenance are sometimes issues for this vehicle.

Multiple Problems
By Lauren81M on 06/10/08 00:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The second day I had it I took it on a long trip to Florida and the AC froze up after 2 hours. I got no support from the dealer of course. I've replaced compressor, checked for leaks, replaced sensors...nothing works, can't take it on trips longer than 2 hours when I need AC. Also have had to replace O2 sensor 3 times. Was in shop for almost 3 months straight when I first bought it. Warranty is not transferable if bought used. Would never buy one ever again.