Used 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Poor Workmanship
By thand

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I was thrilled with my Hyundai until the clear coat started peeling off the hatch door and the drivers side mirror as well as rusting on the drivers side mirror. The wiper arms are rusting as well and I have just over 60,000 miles on my car. To me this is lousy workmanship. most of the time my car was parked in a garage at work so was only in the elements for limited amount of time. I have never owned a car in which the clear coat peeled. My daughter who also has a Hyundai is having the same problem. I did some research and found out that even some of the 2012 models had the same problem. This is why I would never buy another Hyundai product.

Power windows.

The power package should come with power seats as well. Fix the paint issue with your cars.

Best car ive owned, too !
By david300

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 SantaFe in that year brand new. Its been very reliable and ive babied the car on doing maintenance which i do myself. It routinely gets a combined 21 MPG with 23 on the Highway at 70 mph. It is very peppy and in fact, the front tires will spin from a start if you take off real quick. I upgraded the crummy LongTrail Tires to Michelin LX Tires and went from 225's to 245's -- the extra width makes it handle superbly and they dont rub on anything. The Factory radio / tape/ cd player went out at 75,000 miles so i went with a new Pioneer from BestBuy. Other than that, i had a Temperature Sensor go out around 80,000 miles...and thats been it for failures. Its been good.

Precise handling with the wider tires i put on it. Very good performance from the V-6 motor.

Needs much better factory tires . The ones they put on were noisy and didnt hold up well. The front seat needs to go back alot further for someone over 6' ; I personally moved mine back another 5" for much greater legroom.

Best vehicle I have ever owned
By bert

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Everyone in the deerwoods lauged at me when I left camp to buy my wife this veh. But now 3 of them have one also, yes it's an 02 and finally were waiting for the 2011's I'm 100% sure I will buy another, the only problem we had with ours was a tail light going out, it was fixed 4 yrs ago and now it has 80,000 miles and she wants another so spring we will, I will not even look at another brand, a bad taillight in 9 yrs. Why would I, by far the very best I have ever owned, I'm 50 and I look for comfort when I travel with my wife, just got back from a trip to padre island and round trip was 1802 miles long and I was fine the whole trip, I hope this will help

power, very good on tires 80,000 miles and I've only bought 1 set and they still look great

is there any from this pleased man , i didn't think so

Good car but not a great one
By Luigi

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The interior comfort and the ride is very good for a low priced mid-size Crossover/SUV. Ample power. Good traction. Decent cargo space, although the rear seat fold-down configuration is burdensome compared to other makes. Reliability is fair. I had to replace parts on this car that I never had to replace on any of my Nissan vehicles (I've had 9 of them!). And my dealer's service is mediocre compared to Nissan. There really is a difference in quality, and I think Nissan is worth the extra money. Considering a Rogue, Murano, or Mazda CX7 when I replace this Santa Fe.

Decent ride. Comfortable seats.

Better quality parts. Easier access to engine for repairs. Rear seat fold- down needs re-design.

GREAT CAR for the money....
By Good Car

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am only 16 years old and this was my first car and I bought a 2002 Hyundai sante fe and I bought it used at 60,000 miles and for about 6,200. I was hoping to get an suv because I have to drive about 2 hours each weekend during the winter through the snow and this car holds up really well, I don't have the all wheel drive version but even just the 2 wheel drive does really well. Its great in snow and rain. Another reason I got this car is because for an suv it has pretty good gas mileage. Its a good car pretty cheap and I love I highly recommend it. The only thing I could complain about is how when I go over 70 the wheel shakes but that has happened since I had the car. But great car!

Gas mileage for an SUV, reliable, looks outside, cozy on the inside, small SUV on the outside, but plenty of room on the outside.

Acceleration and that's about it. It takes a little while to get up to speed, and makes a good noise trying to get up to speed too.