Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Best Buy
By Geoff Lamm

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car for 4 years and not one problem. Use it off road on occasion and performs well. Plenty of room inside. Has met all of our needs at a great cost.

Favorite Features

Fold down back seats that can be done in 2 seconds.

Suggested Improvements

Sun roof, which is now avail.

Great small SUV
By Hank

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Only one problem since purchase. Crankshaft positioning sensor. Fixed by dealer with no problem within an hour.

Favorite Features

Great traction, ride, dependable and low maintenance

Suggested Improvements

I would like to be able to tow it behind my motorhome with all four wheels on the ground. Other than that, it is perfect.

Read before you buy
By Josh

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of a problem. the ignition system is designed very poorly. every 20k miles the car needs plug wires and/or ignitoin coils. $200-$550 every 6 months for us. 2.4l engine design is bad. Hyundai does not help except charge us every 6 months for the same replacement parts as they do not warranty these. BE VERY BEWARE!!!!!!

Unrealiable
By Terhi Millard

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle, in Apr 04, when it first came off lease; it had a total of 50K. In Dec I had the altinator replaced by my mechanic. I then had a problem with the vehicle stalling. It turned out that the coolant temperature sensor needed to be replaced, which ended up costing me $107 however, they did replace and reprogram two o2 sensors, since this problem was under recall. In Mar of 05, I again had a problem with the vehicle stalling. I had it towed to my mechanic for a price of $90. It turns out that the right wheel bearing needed replacing. The driver side wheel bearing has now been replaced 3 times. THere is also a burning rubber smell inside. Frustrated

I like my Santa Fe
By NYdriver

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in August 2001 knowing nothing about its reliability. I've been pleasantly surprised. I compared it to the Ford Escape and Toyota RAV. Hands down the Hyundai was more comfortable, and had better handling and a better price. I got the base model, and although I live in Western New York, have never regretted not getting the AWD. It handles great in the snow and on corners. I've had only one minor mechanical problem fixed under warranty. I plan to keep this car for a long time.

Favorite Features

Cargo space is great. Seats are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

The quality of the interior plastic is poor--it scratches easily. Large blind spots. Gas mileage is lower than expected.