Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

Most Helpful|
I'm satisfied
By Hey Sante Fe

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

It's a bit of a putt-putt but it works for me. Acceleration is slowed, nothing like when new but it still works. I usually work close to home so most of my mileage is recreational. That's cool. Handles really well in bad weather, takes a while to warm up but AWD pulls out of snow and ice with hardly a grunt. I've seen this vehicle without AWD almost stuck. The extra height helps me to see more, and makes me feel safer, it's a smaller but not the smallest sized SUV.

Favorite Features

AWD is my favorite feature. The extra weight is harder on gas mileage but makes me feel very secure in snowy, icy weather.

Read before you buy
By Josh

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Beware of a problem. the ignition system is designed very poorly. every 20k miles the car needs plug wires and/or ignitoin coils. $200-$550 every 6 months for us. 2.4l engine design is bad. Hyundai does not help except charge us every 6 months for the same replacement parts as they do not warranty these. BE VERY BEWARE!!!!!!

Use Caution
By Could be better

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Santa Fe has 72K miles. It has been in the shop too many times to mention for poor performance, sputtering, and no aceleration. Dealer could not fix. Went to a friend - winds up dealer put the wrong cheap spark plugs and wires on. My car had only been serviced by the dealer, and never replaced plugs or wires. No one can explain. Also crank sensor went on fast lane of freeway. Have to replace battery at least once a year. Backtail lights consistently go out but they can not find the issue causing it. Also had to replace console and speakers several times. Paint is completely fading. 100K warranty? What's actually covered for 100K?

Favorite Features

Comfort, interior design.

Hyundai doesn't honor it's warranty
By theiowan

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe LX 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I just found out that Hyundai's "best warranty in America" is bogus. They claim a faulty power window is an "adjustment item". The fact is it is not functional because of faulty design.

Favorite Features

The day I get rid of it.

Suggested Improvements

Honor the warranty.

Check Engine
By Jadejaws

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

No Sante Fe owner can tell me he/she hasnt seen this light WAY too often. Overall not a terrible car, but the interior has cheap flimsy equipment (the steering wheel literally started to come apart in my hands). I am rid of this car now and couldnt be happier about that. Maybe the later models were better, but way too many "out of warranty" repairs were needed on this vehicle. The stated MPG is an outright lie and I was lucky to get 16 MPG most of the time. I can honestly say that of the 6 cars I have bought new, this was without a doubt the absolutely worst one (1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse a very close second).

Favorite Features

It was quite roomy inside.

Suggested Improvements

Engine overall. Battery just outright needs to be made something standard that lasts more than a year.