Used 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Santa Fe model:

noisey? no power, guzzler
By julie crowley

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i love my santa fe, believe it or not from the title. But it has no acceleration to speak of and is very noisey. It drinks petrol and costs me a fortune to keep. although it got me through 2foot flood water with no problems at all recently.

Favorite Features

comfort and gadgets

Suggested Improvements

more power. less noisey

Awesome Vehicle!
By Lori

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV new in 2001. I have kept up with all suggested maintenance, and have never had any problems whatsoever. It looks and drives just like it did the day I bought it. I absolutely love it and will most likely buy another one when the time comes. I have recommended this SUV to many friends who have wound up buying their own and are just as happy as I am. Buy it!

Favorite Features

Drives just like a car. Solid and comfortable. Has been very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel design could be a little better - not a big deal.

2001 Hyundai Sante Fe GLS
By Barbara

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Next to a B210 (Datsun) I drove for years, this car is built to last! I can't say enough about it.

Favorite Features

Reliable! Body style is attractive.

Suggested Improvements

Radio and stereo speaker quality are very poor.

Check Engine
By Jadejaws

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

No Sante Fe owner can tell me he/she hasnt seen this light WAY too often. Overall not a terrible car, but the interior has cheap flimsy equipment (the steering wheel literally started to come apart in my hands). I am rid of this car now and couldnt be happier about that. Maybe the later models were better, but way too many "out of warranty" repairs were needed on this vehicle. The stated MPG is an outright lie and I was lucky to get 16 MPG most of the time. I can honestly say that of the 6 cars I have bought new, this was without a doubt the absolutely worst one (1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse a very close second).

Favorite Features

It was quite roomy inside.

Suggested Improvements

Engine overall. Battery just outright needs to be made something standard that lasts more than a year.

Best car I got ..!
By dapril32

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 2WD 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Look at this .. after 176,000km on the count. I decided to chage my tire for the first time! They are still good for one summer so I will keep them for next year. The best tire on this thing I never had. No problem at all with this SUV. Did change oil every 5000km, regular maintenance, the closer dealer in my area is about at 200km. Don't need them anyway .. haha The paint still great on it after these years. The one thing is the break that need to be change every 50000 at least. I paid this SUV after 3 years then it's money in the bank! I can't compaint at all ...!

Favorite Features

The automatic going to manual shifting is a great tool for me in winter time in the North of Ontario Canada. I really give it to the Santa Fe in winter season .. believe me.

Suggested Improvements

The breaks should be more resistant. The stering should have function to pull out. Allow more weight on the roof for transportation because 500 pounds is not that much compare with other SUV.